What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Carolina Reaper HOT Pepper

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
mines not been outside and I did top it. I'd advise you to put the seed in the freezer for 2-3 days and go straight from freezer to germination... otherwise these can take 60 days to pop.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Mine have been outside since day 1. They were germinated in full sun. Lights are not free. Sunshine is.

That aside - it's time to pick the Reaper!!! :woohoo:

picture.php

I'm so excited. Can't wait to use it!!!

dank.Frank

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
Looking good, Frank. That is one ominous looking pepper.

I have 2 in my grow room. I took a clone from the less vigorous one to see how well it roots versus just replanting seeds from the peppers post-harvest. I will take another clone from the larger one if all goes well.

Just picked up a pack of Carolina Reapers, excited to try 'em out! Is it possible to grow these indoors, or is it best to start them inside but finish them outside in the summer? If I can grow them indoors, will T5s suffice? What sort of light cycle do they need to be on? Will topping / training do me any good, or should I just let them do their thing?

Thanks!
you can grow these indoors 100%. the first time i did a bhut i just let it die at the end of the season, last year i brought it indoors an it produced indoors so this is season 2 for it, need to bring it in again its getting below 32 for a few nights.

i just let it sit off to the side when flowering 12/12 an it did ok was mostly shaded the whole time which is why it didnt perform like it could have.

pruning is always a good idea!! idk how well t5s will do im sure id do ok with a parabolic reflector an being close to it. i put mine under a rocket plasma an it was happy.

cloning mine took forever, but it could have been just below optimal ranges for it temp wise.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
not too rapid...

2md4qd.jpg

qofzvr.jpg

And this fella is on his way to a new home tomorrow... I believe this makes 15 I've germinated and given away...

ip83tv.jpg

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Got my hands on 2 Ghost chilis and a Chocolate scorpion... lets get seeds... I used my bare hands and no equipment aside a knife. Safety 3rd, thats what I always say.

68u907.jpg

Contrary to what you might think, trying to dry the seed inside the pepper will just cause the seeds to rot from the moisture trapped inside the pepper.

2iikg2w.jpg

Still got a few good seeds out of that one... but....

n50arm.jpg

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
just look in the fresh one...

30u93pj.jpg

xmpit1.jpg

6ssz7q.jpg

Had to try a piece of the Ghost chili... sweat was beading up on my forehead a full hour later... good stuff... if the Reapers are double the strength of the Ghosts... hot damn...

All done and drying out....

2lt0tc2.jpg

30j1c07.jpg

If you find pepperspray especially offensive, you might wear some type of protection.... I've been peppersprayed both recreationally and by professionals pretty often and was relatively unbothered... the wife started choking immediately upon walking into the kitchen...

MrTea

some guy
Veteran
the wife started choking immediately upon walking into the kitchen...[/QUOTE]
Hahaha.....I immediately recalled the other. 12 times I've seen you choke from her products......now you know how to get her back.....lol

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I got irritated with the knife and found it easier to tear the chilis with my hands and pluck out the seeds manually.

harry74

Veteran
I´ve been using vinyl gloves to gather my chilli seeds.

The smallest wound/crack on the fingers and you start feeling the heat.

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
Turns out those are the "Jamaican Chocolate" habanero/scotch bonnet and not the Chocolate Scorpions...

This is now a random hot pepper thread.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ah snap, it's bunk how many shady pepper seed growers there are.

Pods look great though, those bhuts are nice and placenta-y :)

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
These were gifted, and the lack of proper memory was mine... I posted before the fella who gifted me the peppers returned a text.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ahh, there I go with my assumptions again hehe. Still, chocolate anything is good, at least in my books :)

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
and thats all I could recall last night... I ate some of the Bhut chili while I was doing seeds and after an hour or so when the heat calmed down, all I could remember was "chocolate" something-or-other... the scorpions and the scotch bonnets looked pretty similar... I made an assumption myself on that one.

Betterhaff

Veteran
I love chocolate habs. Are you growing those peppers together, you may come up with some interesting hybrids?

Seaf0ur

Pagan Extremist
Veteran
I'm sticking em in the shade of my girls indoors... hadnt thought of it, but I could cross the ghosts and the reapers just for fun.... it'd be easy enough.