What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Wanna Ask The Old Farts A Question?

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
shovelhead said:
Hey folks I could use some help with cloning. I am growing micro style indoors,flowering under a 150HPS,with a sperate closet for vegging under flouro shop lights. I have had some limited sucess in creating clones but I think they were accidental,you know when conditions were just right. I have a single white lighting plant outside in a 5 gallon bucket that I would like to get some clones from before it goes into flower. I bought a seed heating mat, since it was really hot that week I put it in the basement which is much cooler. Put the cuttings in ponies like flowers come in,in a mixture of vermiculite and perlite,soaked in a weak solution of Olivias cloning liquid with a couple of drops of Tiger Bloom. Dipped in gel,put in a plastic greenhouse under a CFL. within a few days they were mushy and the leaves just pulled off the stem,right where the stem went into the medium,like they were rotted or cooked. Anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Well I myself am new to cloning but you didn't mention scarification (scraping the stem before applying gel) also I'm guessing the stem is staying to wet. I used these things called rapid rooters which are like a foam sponge and it holds a certain amount of moisture. I notice that things didn't really happen until those puppies dried out which usually took about 2 weeks.

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
Thanks Again...

I have started to see some occational cloudy trichs, mostly clear sofar. As for hairs, they are all still white and puffy. I think there is like 1 or 2 red ones on the whole plant, so I would say COME ON WEEK 12 :woohoo: which starts Sunday for day 78!!

Also, I have a Hydro Ebb n Flow Ghettomade Mini Quad Unit. LOL(what did he say?!?!:confused:) I made it myslef, will post some pics when I clean it up after harvest...kinda messy right now. Another reason why Im surprised I have made it this far. The cab was a mid grow, had to do it idea. Heat was killing me, so I move her to a cab, made the ebbnflow and rigged up ventilation. Most of the construction was During the grow, so I have some saw dust, n stuff that I just can't get to when I installed the AC. The cab is tight, tight, tight....but perfect for a 100w like I got. Im kinda proud of the work with what ya got skills that I have. Can't wait to share. The reservoir is cool, because I can pull it out, clean it and refill it without moving or disturbing the plant...me likey!!

Anywho, I only have the one plant this time, but will be doing 2 next time, but alot shorter in veg to keep them shorter and fatter! And besides, 2 plants might be stretching the 100w, LOL!!!

I will let you know how she turns out!~ :joint:

Erbs :sasmokin:

Sounds good to me :yes:

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
So heres my perdicament, my dad found my closet grow and might shut it down. The plant is about 27 days into flowering (pic below from today). The question is how long does the plant have to mature to get me somthing I can get high off of, I think I can stall and maybe get it to 60 or so days but if not and I have to chop it soon is it worth drying and smoking/cooking with?

Deft

Get two birds stoned at once
Veteran
And I forgot the pic lol. This is my first grow into the flowering stage also.

Last edited:

NG2k

HempKat said:
Hard to say for sure, what does it taste like? It's doubtful it's harmful. Assuming it's not mold. One clue is you said you let it dry for 11 days and it was really crispy when you jarred it. In a scenario like this the stuff is locked in that you want to work out in the cure. Also leaves are undesirable and you got some of that kind of cured in there. I'd say try cleaning the leaves and then put a small mist of moisture in the jar. This will rehydrate the bud enough to let you try to cure more normally and without the leaves of course having introduce moisture also keep a close eye for mold after that. Another trick is to introduce an orange peel instead of the mist. The bud will draw the moisture out of the peel and pick up an orange scent in the process.

well HK
it tastes like pineapple, because i did the orange peel trick using pineapple. the leaf material was removed a few days ago. you said to keep a close eye for mold.... unfortunately i dont know what mold looks or smells like. if it is mold anyway, what can be done about it. should i just make some hash or oil or something along those lines?
the smell isnt getting better, it smells ok when ground up, and tastes pretty good, but i havnt smoked it in a while to be fair so i cant say for sure.
im pretty worried it is mold tho.... this smell in the jar is far from appetizing...
what to do :confused:?
Thanks HK :wave:

HempKat

Veteran
Deft said:
And I forgot the pic lol. This is my first grow into the flowering stage also.

Well if it's a indica or indica dominent strain it should only take about 60 days to fully mature. Many 60 day strains can actually give you a worthwhile high in about 40 to 45 days. Thing is, most buds put on alot of their size in the last two weeks or so before harvest.

If it's sativa or sativa dominent though then it could take 90 days or more to achieve full ripness. If it's one of those then even at 60 days it probably won't be worthwhile.

You are learning one of life's hard lessons, although you are getting the easy version the tough version could have your dad in jail for your actions and have the house taken away if he owns it, or evicted if he rents. That's why if you grow indoors you should only do it if you own the property or in the case of renting it's your name on the lease. Further since everyone living there could be punished if you are caught you should never grow indoors where other people live unless they are fully aware of the risks and okay with it.

HempKat

Veteran
NG2k said:
well HK
it tastes like pineapple, because i did the orange peel trick using pineapple. the leaf material was removed a few days ago. you said to keep a close eye for mold.... unfortunately i dont know what mold looks or smells like. if it is mold anyway, what can be done about it. should i just make some hash or oil or something along those lines?
the smell isnt getting better, it smells ok when ground up, and tastes pretty good, but i havnt smoked it in a while to be fair so i cant say for sure.
im pretty worried it is mold tho.... this smell in the jar is far from appetizing...
what to do :confused:?

Well if it's mold or bud rot then it is harmful to smoke. To be honest I'm not sure what it looks like as I haven't had that problem. I imagine it looks pretty much like mold that grows on foods stored too long. If it is mold or bud rot the best thing to do would be to make oil out of it. At least that what others who have gotten it usually end up doing.

NG2k

HempKat said:
Well if it's mold or bud rot then it is harmful to smoke. To be honest I'm not sure what it looks like as I haven't had that problem. I imagine it looks pretty much like mold that grows on foods stored too long. If it is mold or bud rot the best thing to do would be to make oil out of it. At least that what others who have gotten it usually end up doing.

i think i will probably make hash out of it.... if i have to!
i hope it isnt mold, but it doesnt smell too great to be honest....
gr.... trust the grow to go well and me to fuck up the curing..... i swear it was fully dry after 11 days, probably over-dry imo. if it isnt mold what could it be, it smells rank.... :yoinks:
:wave:

G

World wide seeds?

World wide seeds?

Is there some sort of trick to get to World Wide Seeds?

I think they were who sent me the seeds for this:

They said they were White Widow .. She sure was a lot of purple for that.

Any one think they can ID the strain?

thanks

peanutbutter

White Widow (sorry for the sideways) from Nirvana, I think.. Grown same time/place

Last edited:

Sleepy

Veteran
i need a drink from the well of wisdom...

i need a drink from the well of wisdom...

how on earth do they cut hot dog buns lengthwise, and still keep them joined together???

the bread guy was even stumped by this query... :chin:

HempKat

Veteran
NG2k said:
i think i will probably make hash out of it.... if i have to!
i hope it isnt mold, but it doesnt smell too great to be honest....
gr.... trust the grow to go well and me to fuck up the curing..... i swear it was fully dry after 11 days, probably over-dry imo. if it isnt mold what could it be, it smells rank.... :yoinks:
:wave:

Well like I said originally, by over-drying it you pretty much sealed in the stuff that gives it that grass fresh mowed lawn/ fresh cut hay smell. If you used chem ferts and didn't flush well there may be some of that trapped in there. Then you added pineapple to it. Which is like when you go to the bathroom and take a dump and the place smells like crap afterwards. If you spray a flowery air spray then it will smell like crap and flowers. So kind of the same thing you may have going.

It could be the strain, is this a new strain for you? I mean some strains are radically different taste then the conventional weed smell, maybe yours is a strain like that and you find it unappealling. The thing that really puzzles me is you say the bud smells fine when you break it up and it doesn't taste bad when you smoke it. Is it possible the jar you put it in had some odor in there causing the problem? That would account for it smelling badly from the jar but being okay when you break a bud up.

HempKat

Veteran
peanutbutter said:
Is there some sort of trick to get to World Wide Seeds?

I think they were who sent me the seeds for this:

They said they were White Widow .. She sure was a lot of purple for that.

Any one think they can ID the strain?

thanks

peanutbutter

White Widow (sorry for the sideways) from Nirvana, I think.. Grown same time/place

Sorry I can't help you with either question.

HempKat

Veteran
Sleepy said:
how on earth do they cut hot dog buns lengthwise, and still keep them joined together???

My guess is the blades are thin enough to allow them to get between the buns stuck together without having to seperate them and that's where they cut.

NG2k

HempKat said:
Well like I said originally, by over-drying it you pretty much sealed in the stuff that gives it that grass fresh mowed lawn/ fresh cut hay smell. If you used chem ferts and didn't flush well there may be some of that trapped in there. Then you added pineapple to it. Which is like when you go to the bathroom and take a dump and the place smells like crap afterwards. If you spray a flowery air spray then it will smell like crap and flowers. So kind of the same thing you may have going.

It could be the strain, is this a new strain for you? I mean some strains are radically different taste then the conventional weed smell, maybe yours is a strain like that and you find it unappealling. The thing that really puzzles me is you say the bud smells fine when you break it up and it doesn't taste bad when you smoke it. Is it possible the jar you put it in had some odor in there causing the problem? That would account for it smelling badly from the jar but being okay when you break a bud up.

i grew organically AND flushed so that should be all ok. as for overdrying and "locking in" the grass smell... well thats why i used the pineapple to remoisten the bud. maybe i made it too moist or maybe it just hasnt turned out how i expected :badday:
well it is a new strain for me as it was my first grow, and it was lowryder which is well known for having a good fruity taste anyway, which it does.... the jar was new when i used it and i washed and dried it many times..... i just dont know what to do... unless the smell gets any better i will have to make hash as it is getting rather gut-renching now.... still no signs of mold or fur tho.....

Erbsdaword1

Sleepy said:

ooooo oooooo I know this one!!!! :wave:

I saw this on How It's Made!!! (Gotta love the discovery channels :woohoo: )

They cook them back to back in 2's. When they pop them out, they cool a little then go down a convery belt with double saws(way cool). They are supa sharp, supa fast and supa thin, and only stick out a certain length. BAM you have 2 sliced buns, hehe I said buns, hehe!!!

I also have a question, can you folier spray during flowing?

I want to try and fix a Calcuim def...but didn't want to mess with the nutes right now, but also don't want to mess with the trichs...thanks as always HK!!!

HempKat

Veteran
Erbsdaword1 said:
I also have a question, can you folier spray during flowing?

I want to try and fix a Calcuim def...but didn't want to mess with the nutes right now, but also don't want to mess with the trichs...thanks as always HK!!!

Well you can although it's usually advised against as getting buds wet can sometimes lead to bud rot. Really this is an issue more when you have poor ventilation. If you have good ventilation then it shouldn't be a problem especially if it's a temporary thing and not something you plan on doing from here on out.

HempKat

Veteran
NG2k said:
i grew organically AND flushed so that should be all ok. as for overdrying and "locking in" the grass smell... well thats why i used the pineapple to remoisten the bud. maybe i made it too moist or maybe it just hasnt turned out how i expected :badday:
well it is a new strain for me as it was my first grow, and it was lowryder which is well known for having a good fruity taste anyway, which it does.... the jar was new when i used it and i washed and dried it many times..... i just dont know what to do... unless the smell gets any better i will have to make hash as it is getting rather gut-renching now.... still no signs of mold or fur tho.....

I'm stumped. If you ever figure it out, let me know. I am surprised to hear you say lowryder is known for fruitiness. I have never heard that about lowryder.

NG2k

HempKat said:
I'm stumped. If you ever figure it out, let me know. I am surprised to hear you say lowryder is known for fruitiness. I have never heard that about lowryder.
well maybe its just known by lowryder growers that it has a fruity taste...
well i wasnt sure what to do and didnt want to risk mold so i took the buds out of the jar and just ground it up and stored it in a baggy. i know i know.... but better safe than sorry. how damaging is it to smoke molded weed... not that i think it is.
when speaking to friends in chat they said that all weed smells funny when first curing and that it was probably fine. but i didnt know that and assumed a cure would make smell and taste better straight away.... oh well... i still dont know :confused:
cheers HK :wave:

HempKat

Veteran
NG2k said:
well maybe its just known by lowryder growers that it has a fruity taste...
well i wasnt sure what to do and didnt want to risk mold so i took the buds out of the jar and just ground it up and stored it in a baggy. i know i know.... but better safe than sorry. how damaging is it to smoke molded weed... not that i think it is.
when speaking to friends in chat they said that all weed smells funny when first curing and that it was probably fine. but i didnt know that and assumed a cure would make smell and taste better straight away.... oh well... i still dont know :confused:
cheers HK :wave:

Well a good cure takes about 2 months. At first when airing the jars you'll notice a hay like smell usually and then it improves from there. I'd say it takes a good month to start smelling good.

As for smoking moldy weed it can be extremely serious although I can't explain the mechanics of what makes it harmful.

NG2k

HempKat said:
Well a good cure takes about 2 months. At first when airing the jars you'll notice a hay like smell usually and then it improves from there. I'd say it takes a good month to start smelling good.

As for smoking moldy weed it can be extremely serious although I can't explain the mechanics of what makes it harmful.
so the smell could have been something that naturally happens during the first 2 months of curing? grr.......... :badday: maybe i should have just left it, but i didnt want to risk mold and thats what i thought it may be.
thanks HK, much appreciated.