What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

what are ideal drying room conditions?

C

CheifnBud2

I know this is not ideal, but my closet stays about 75 degrees and 40-50%rh.
I usually have buds ready for paper bags in 4 days. ready for jars in 5-6.

Snook

Still Learning
Veteran
I know this is not ideal, but my closet stays about 75 degrees and 40-50%rh.
I usually have buds ready for paper bags in 4 days. ready for jars in 5-6.

I'm down, CB.. 7days at 72*ish and 65%rh.. inda bags, in the bottles.. stays the same @ 73F (ambient) and 64%rh in the bottle or bags (if in bags, 2-3 days, then bottles), burping daily for a week or so. stop worrying about burping when they stablize at 50%rh.:tiphat:

EDIT: how FdU am I? this thread gave me the idea, I posted earlier. forgot that I did.. BT, that was an earlier post I posted...
yeah, I bought those 'sticks'.. I lovem.. thanks..

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hiya,,for drying,,pitch black room,,65-70deg,,40-55% humidity,,7 days ready to go or cure,a bit longer if buds are very dense and a little shorter for more airy type buds,,cheers s2

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
just a pic of my recent crop drying with same temps and humidity over 7-8days in a pitch black room with my exhaust/scrubber on a very low setting with a small ocssilating fan on a low setting and pointing away from the drying crop,,wispier buds will take slighltly shorter time and thicker colas will take slightly longer to dry,,peace s2

What is a simple way to bring the RH up in a drying room. I'm tired of ruining my harvest. My buds look F'n awesome and smell great when they're growing, but as soon as it comes to drying and curing it all goes to shit !! I need some help asap !!!!!!

St3ve

depends on how much you're drying.. Anything from a cardboard box to sheets of hung plastic to keep a smaller area to control. Then a bucket with a few towels draped out with a fan blowing on it works well.

yoshi-d

Just hung mine for drying tonight, in my tent 1.2m tent and was wondering if i need to keep my intake/outake on for circulation (5'' ruck) and oscillating fans on as well or can i just zip the tent up with no fresh air intake and just the fans ???

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Do you have a dehumidifier? If you don't have an exhaust I would think the humidity would get way too high for drying even with oscillating fans. If you do have a dehumidifier then I would say your safe, and actually the ideal way to dry. Just my two cents, hope it helps.

BTW - You want your humidity around 50% when drying, and your product to finish around 62%.

nigel420

Do you wait till the stems snap before putting into jars? Also is there a benefit to putting bud in brown bags before jarring?

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Brown bags helps slow down the drying process, but continues to wick moisture away. When stems are almost snapping, I like to then put in brown bags, then jars.

anonymousgrow

Someday I'd love to build a dedicated drying room:biggrin:

I plan to build a drying curing building for next year. This year i think we have it mostly figured out but we are going to be using most of the house and i would prefer to have my house be as a house for a change during harv.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
THis year I am contemplating building a Dexter kill room in my garage. My garage also has my washer and dryer in it, and your cloths come out smelling more like pot when you run it through a dryer when pot is drying right next to the dryer. So this year I plan on building a 8x7ft room out of metal studs. As I build it I will encase it with plastic, as a smell barrier. Then hook up my normal 6" fan with a carbon scrubber, drop it in the room. Fans, dehumidifier ext. Anybody try this before?

opek

Its not always 7 days.. it depends on how big the buds are, and how you manicure.

For me its around 6-7 days or so because I use a trimming machine to wet trim. When I hang whole plants its much longer.

Have you tried lowering humidity to 62% after drying to do a Sous Vide style cure? :thank you:

St3ve

yea I usually like to sit between 59-62% after the cure. I feel it brings out the smells and taste better. But I like to get that low over at least a month, usually more

opek

Is part of the 65/65 that the colder air holds less humidity and thus wicks away less humidity? Have you tried 75/65 or 85/65? What brought you to 65/65?

roasthawg

Anyone get their finished product tested routinely at a lab that does petrie dish mold testing? If my humidity is above 50% for the first few days mold is present... not visible mind you, product looks bomb. But petrie dish results are positive.

FlaCaEnt

Anyone get their finished product tested routinely at a lab that does petrie dish mold testing? If my humidity is above 50% for the first few days mold is present... not visible mind you, product looks bomb. But petrie dish results are positive.

pretty interested in this as we plan on getting our finished producted tested for mold when the time comes. What do you do to fix this issue have u experimented with lower RH to see which works better at all? what were your temps for dry/cure also?