What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Some people say the amber trich issue is a myth? What am I to believe?

the guy who wrote this has got it DOWN...

'''I would like to point that our ability to know when THC is degrading to CBN by looking tricomes color is due CBN reflect orange, while THC is translucent. So a clear tricome still hasnt reached the max THC content, a translucent (milky) is loaded with much THC, but a amber one is degrading THC to CBN (more as deeper orange-brown).

[..]

This depends on the high you want off your weed as to when to harvest.

The cloudy/milky is when the thc is at it's peak, it's not on or off, it's working it's way to full potency, and that's when it's cloudy/milky.

The potency doesn't go by the couchlock affect you get off the weed, that's caused when the thc is starting to degrade, which is when the heads turn amber.

For the highest potency of the weed with the cloudy heads, it gives you more up the upity high, and want to go out and do things type of a high, and not the pain relief the couchlock high people get off the amber heads. Which comes from the weed is technically on the degrading side of things.

This makes a big difference to the high you get off your weed.

And then take the sativa/indica amount of the strain into the account, and the more sativa, also the more upity of a high you should get off your weed.

The highs from when the weed is gaining it's potency is more upity, and when the marijuna is degrading, it's giving off the couchlock high. '''

Presto_D

This thread is a very good read! I have one of the Radio Shack microscopes, looking forward to inspecting my plants... in several months. :D

S

staff11

Isn't the bottom line really if you want a head high grow a sativa, if you want the couch grow indica?

Let the plants mature and they will give you what you want.

G

grasspass

How does amber effect pain relief? I had some of a immature bud of a diesel x yumbolt and it worked very good for arthritis. Even with an up high.

Redrum92

What i was taught : take a nug every 2-3 days, quick 2 day cure, smoke, and judge. You will learn the signs associated with the type of product you seek. Obviously some variation by strain/pheno. Color of trichs is just one of those signs, to be taken with a grain of salt, and there is no set percentage of amber that will giv you good bud across all different strains. Learn the subtleties of the aging process.

Tbh I'm still learning and have a panicky couple weeks "did I wait too long?will it be anther month? Now? Later?"

I've read the whole thread ! Good one, but no one has said something about the swollen calyxes, and pistils receded into the bud, that is a good sign of plant maturity, i believe.

My last batch is about to finish, and i'm waiting for the calyxes to swell, and i check the trichomes also.
So it has begun to swell, it's 9 weeks, it's a classic skunk, and i see some amber trichs here and there, most are milky.
I took a sample a few days ago, i've just smoked it now, and for me it not time because it has little to no effect.

I don't know how long i will wait, but i will wait till it's swollen or till it hits me descently. I really want to know if it is worth waiting,

will update soon ...

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have watched the swollen calyxes as well, esp. sequestering in darkness right before harvest.

Use the expert watch approach (after years of watching plants grow), keeping an eye on plant changes toward the end, and the loupe handy for trichome phases.

dread

Veteran
I've read the whole thread ! Good one, but no one has said something about the swollen calyxes, and pistils receded into the bud, that is a good sign of plant maturity, i believe.

always wait for this!!!!

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran

My last batch is about to finish, and i'm waiting for the calyxes to swell, and i check the trichomes also.
So it has begun to swell, it's 9 weeks, it's a classic skunk, and i see some amber trichs here and there, most are milky.
I took a sample a few days ago, i've just smoked it now, and for me it not time because it has little to no effect.

I don't know how long i will wait, but i will wait till it's swollen or till it hits me descently. I really want to know if it is worth waiting,

will update soon ...

To be fair the thread title isn't "Calyx swelling: How do I know when my plant is ready?"

:moon:

Sheesh.

So hard to please you people.

:bigeye:

Gry

Have to wonder, what did Shibby do ? Last edited by Shibby Dobbins; 03-23-2006 at 07:38 PM..

FullyMeltedDome

Veteran
I never go by what a Strain is "supposed "Grow.I always check the Heads to see what it tells Me.When it's a good 20% or more Amber/Golden,it makes way better Bubble and the obvious is that it is a bit stronger.Pistols mean nothing as to when a plant is ready,they just receed when they are getting mature. I let this Bogglegum past what I normally would and it turned out great.The trichs are a little over 20%.I Vote more Amber.Peace and Stay Safe,DancesWithWeed������

Last edited: