What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Not getting your weed to smell stinky after the cure??

B

bajangreen

The biggest problems and solutions are

1: Chopping too early, wait till at least all the fan leaves have died off, and the 3 blade leaves have gotten bigger, you should let your smallest/runt plant go until it dries up so you can see the complete process, this helps a lot.

2: Air circulation, its absolutely needed when drying after the weed is dried there should be a good smell, not smell like hay, if you're getting a hay smell don't hang them up in a closet somewhere without air passing through. Commercial herb is dried in sheds with no walls, because AIR CIRCULATION is paramount to getting that weed smell. Sounds counter productive? i know, we want to keep that herb smell IN but think of it this way, that herb smell is always there but the other smells "mask" it, that why the plants always smell more when disturbed, the herb smell does not blow away only the other undesirable smells so keep that wind blowing.

3: Don't remove the leaves till after day three, when they have shrunk, until then they are still alive and pulling moisture from within the plant and are also protecting the bud.

4: Plant more Herb, that way you have more to experiment on and it helps with patients when you got other weed to burn than to one you want to experiment on.

5: look/nit pick really good Herbs grown from someone else, it helps when you know what the end product should look, feel, smell and taste like.

6: Don't be afraid to deviate from what you read, ask a grower close to you, experiment until you find out what the problem really is.

THC123

Veteran
i cure them at 65% for 3-4 months then they smell real pungent ad then i bring the rh down to 59-60 for long term storage

NorCalKind

Not to be a dick, but hanging your plants to dry isn't "curing". Curing occurs after hanging/drying and trimming. When buds are mostly dry on the outside and the stems are getting a bit crunchy you put it all into an airtight container. The leftover moisture from inside the bud slowly starts seeping out. Then about 2-3 times a day you open the container for around 10-20 minutes to let the moisture evaporate. Finish product depends on density mainly but expect about a week for it to be cured.

L

LEX-UK

Environment has a factor, tohumid in late flower and my buds not as tasty smelly and don't cure aswell.

B

bajangreen

Not to be a dick, but hanging your plants to dry isn't "curing". Curing occurs after hanging/drying and trimming. When buds are mostly dry on the outside and the stems are getting a bit crunchy you put it all into an airtight container. The leftover moisture from inside the bud slowly starts seeping out. Then about 2-3 times a day you open the container for around 10-20 minutes to let the moisture evaporate. Finish product depends on density mainly but expect about a week for it to be cured.

Exactly this is about the drying process. Most people blame the cure, but it was the dry that was causing the problem. for me the cure is what happens when your waiting on product to "change hands"

To keep the smell at first it seems counter productive but you need lots of air circulating around your buds when drying and your buds will smell like weed and the side screams will smell nice too.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yeahthats:yeahthats

1 thing i will add is .... don't let them hang dry too long !!! you can dry past the point that no cure will help . once all the moisture is gone ... theres no good way of bringing it back . that includes the smell . once its hay .... it stays hay !!!

J

joejusttyped

Yeah we get a lot of improperly dried bud aroind here. Feels lile hay and sounds like dead leaves when you break it up.

Exactly this is about the drying process. Most people blame the cure, but it was the dry that was causing the problem. for me the cure is what happens when your waiting on product to "change hands"

To keep the smell at first it seems counter productive but you need lots of air circulating around your buds when drying and your buds will smell like weed and the side screams will smell nice too.

I dry at 60% RH. it cant cure if there's no moisture in it. then into jars. they go into jars FEELING wet, then burp the moisture out to your desired level. keeping the smell and sticky. I dry for 7 days at 70/50.

smallz91

I'm new to this my stim is snapping but it's still moist is it good to put in brown bag for 2 days then mason or right to mason jar ]

Apache Kush

Good stuff bro^

Also, buy a HYgROMETER, (measure humidity ok )for your mason jars

~otherwise, your burping with a wild ass guess!
once you get the bud in the jars you can see if they are at 65%, 70%, and stabilize them at 55-60% etc..

they have digital hydrometers on amazon or cigar shops,
or cheaper analog ones, at pets stores for reptiles i read... ok good luck all

Last edited:

Bud Green

I dig dirt
Veteran
Good stuff bro^

Also, buy a HYDROMETER, (measure humidity ok )for your mason jars

~otherwise, your burping with a wild ass guess!
once you get the bud in the jars you can see if they are at 65%, 70%, and stabilize them at 55-60% etc..

they have digital hydrometers on amazon or cigar shops,
or cheaper analog ones, at pets stores for reptiles i read... ok good luck all

Actually,, you mean a HYGROMETER....for measuring relative humidity...

A hydrometer will measure the specific gravity (thus, alcohol content) of the beer or booze you make..