What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you dry buds to lock up like nuggets?

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have not read the whole thread so I appoligize if others already mentioned this; MH as appose to HPS. I have found in the past MH always gave me denser buds and also a little more crystal, but the buds are a tiny fraction smaller. This is my experience, although a lot of other factors contribute.

The factors that contribute to airy buds in my experience are: genetics, finishing not to early, light intensity, heat factor, nutrition and light spectrum and over all health of the plants. Just some off the top of my head, I am sure there are others.

TGT

ChaosCatalunya

5.2 club is now 8.1 club...
Veteran
A lot of great answers and advice, but, surprised nobody has mentioned MATURITY.

The simplest, foolproof way to airy buds with little weight, not too much of a smell and an up, lightweight high of no great duration is simply to crop your plants a week or two early. This will also guarantee you barely 0.5 g/w on what appears to be an otherwise well grown crop. Sure, it could have been 1g/w, but that would take a whole week longer, mmmkay.

IMO, 95% of the weed I see is taken too early, on IC, a lot less, but still a significant %.

I

ItsTopShelf

im sorryy but i read this and couldnt stop laughing.. how about u do some research bro.. if u dont know this by now then u havent been reading enough!!!!

A

ak-51

You could always try to vacuum seal your airy nugs in food saver bags. They'll compress without turning into brick weed.
This works. I would do it after you dry and cure though, because you won't be getting airflow to the core of the bud after you vacuum compress it.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
Trim off everything below the first 3 nodes on each branch at the beginning of flower.

Forgot that one. Super larff removal like that makes for a thicker top canopy of denseness.

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

Last edited:
you say you only grow hybrid then you say its all about environment?

View Image
pure mexican sativa. no matter what you grow it under you get loose airy buds that are stringy.

Stih, you recently commented on my thread with Baglady, and after seeing your pics of pure Mexican sativa, I'm convinced that's what she is! This is exactly what her buds look like up and down her stems, airy and strung out. I've accepted it's just genetics, as you've said, and I'm not counting her out as inferior simply because she isn't dense.

Helpful, all around.

idiit

Veteran
How do you dry buds to lock up like nuggets?

i have an answer to this. i'm coming into this topic from my perspective. i'm an outdoor commercial grower ( i also grow for pleasure, but i gots to pay the bills). :)

tight dense pretty buds sell for more money and are easier to sell per bag appeal.

^^ i want. :)

dense buds grown outdoors normally bud rot in my od environment. fluffy buds don't.

gooey buds cure/dry up into rock hard nugs.

gooey fluffy buds will cure/dry into rock hard buds, yet won't bud rot as easily when on the vine. best of both worlds.

breed for gooey if you want to have fluffy buds dry into hard, dense nugs.

idiit

Veteran
picture.php

picture.php

^ wet pressed Haitian.

picture.php

^ non pressed Haitian 8.1 gr..

the dense Haitian goes here at this time for $800 qp fast. the fluffy Haitian goes slower at $650-$700 qp. it's not my fault the ignorant consumer in my area perceives more value in dense vs fluffy bud formation. se usa, far far away from nearest med state, middle june market.

now, there will be ppl who think forming bud is some kind of blasphemy.

shapes-boxpress.jpg

^ same ingredients, one box pressed, one round.
pasta.jpg

^ how many times you sat in an Italian restaurant listen to customers talking about what "type" of pasta they prefer? it's all made out of the same flour. there are flours for fresh pasta and flours for dry, but the shapes are made from the same wheat sources.

idiit

Veteran
imo probably one of the biggest shortcoming of the posts on ic is the failure to relate to the main stream undereducated mindset. we have true connoisseurs here. conversations about what appeals to john doe invariably turn into conversations from a cannabis epicurean perspective. i'm pretty shocked to this day that very intelligent authorities in the cannabis community don't understand what "commercial" means. commercial grows are grows to be sold. personal smoke grows are for the more discriminating.

rock hard, dense nugs are primarily for the underinformed masses.

2 Legal Co

Veteran
Back when I thought I cared. I found the Grocery Paper bag with sticky assed bud compressed and dried hard... just keep rotating the bags. They dry slowly that way and compress well.

Now I just make budder. My lungs don't care for the smoke, or foreign vapors. So I Prefer the light airy bud. Easier/quicker to desolve the goodies from them.

But yes the general market seems to prefer rocks for nugs, and stink that relates to a full family of skunks. LMAO

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
lol uk pub stylee, get a soaking wet 2g nug, roll it into a ball, wrap in cling film and charge 25 notes... lmao ;)

Latest posts

Latest posts