What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

How do you dry buds to lock up like nuggets?

It's hit or miss sometimes even with good strains. There's just so many variables.

If my nugs are worthy, then I wet trim, and hang dry on branches, then knock them down into paper bags 5"-6" deep for the final drying.

If they need help, a wet trim with drying on screens helps them "nug up" as when they get soft, they'll squish a little under their own weight, then into paper bags about 5"-6" deep for the final drying, this helps make them more dense.

By far, for the best flavor and smell, drying the whole plant and dry trimming the nugs results in the best smell and flavor, but to me it's a PITA, so I wet trim.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
looks like machine trim or just over trimmed in general. some tumbling does occur, so i guess a lil bit of both.

I don't know the grower, so I can't say for sure, but it seems that a lot of the stuff that I get is machine trimmed. I'm still getting over the fact that I know what KIND of pot I'm smoking, so a machine trim doesn't knock it down any in my book.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
no knocks here, i don't care about the trim as long as you don't try and throw that into the price of the weed. most weed i see is machine trim, either that or growers are getting heavy handed with the scissors. sometimes i see bud and it looks like it was trimmed with a mandolin (thing for making thin sliced potatoes and whatnot) clean edges through calyxes sometimes.

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
Just to keep my honor intact, here's a shot of some Green Crack that I grew AND manicured. This is how I like it:

picture.php

sso

Veteran
..temps play bit of part in it, but only say 5% difference.

light plays a huge part in it.

but even a 1000w will get airy nugs on many strains.

id say its 98% genetics (assuming you have a good lamp and aint a complete newbie.)

sso

Veteran
hmm, not enough bad appeal?

airy buds = larger nugs to match the weight given.

my airiest plant´s nugs are 3 times larger than a similar weighing nug from my frankenstein (heavy indica)

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
CFL's to 1K HPS'.... lots of strains, mostly sativa-dom hybrids.
10 years and I haven't run into any 'fluffy' buds yet, except popcorn in horizontal grows.
Always dense nugs without additives.

I haven't run any pure or close to pure sativas yet either...

It's all about environment and light density. :D

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
you say you only grow hybrid then you say its all about environment?

picture.php

pure mexican sativa. no matter what you grow it under you get loose airy buds that are stringy.

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
CFL's to 1K HPS'.... lots of strains, mostly sativa-dom hybrids.
10 years and I haven't run into any 'fluffy' buds yet, except popcorn in horizontal grows.
Always dense nugs without additives.

I haven't run any pure or close to pure sativas yet either...

It's all about environment and light density. :D

totally agree. only dif is the elongated sat type buds look like fat cigars instead of nugs when fully dry,. just cut them down if you want them to be nug style..

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
you say you only grow hybrid then you say its all about environment?

View Image
pure mexican sativa. no matter what you grow it under you get loose airy buds that are stringy.

Like I said.... I haven't grown any pure or close to pure sativas yet, and I'm fully aware they grow like what you posted.

Yes, environment is even more important for sativas like that... nothing worse than a light growing bud like that grown where it'd be a bigger, fluffier nug than what you're showing there. Just like other strains, the amount of leafyness increases with a lack of light density.

Makes a difference. :D Those look yummy! :D

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
very up paranoid racy high. like coffee,crack, and speed all in one. i dunno what crack and speed are like but i assume they are like coffee...on crack. 22 weeks still not completely "done"

CannaBunkerMan

Enormous Member
Veteran
If you want a sativa like high, there are PLENTY of poly-hybrids that will give you the same result, with less grow time, and more appealing buds. Who wants a 12 week sativa, when you can have a 7 week Green Crack (enter favorite sativa leaning poly here) that smokes like one, while having rock hard nugs?

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i'd rather have the 12 week sativa. its more than just the high for me. the longer it takes the longer the high. i wanna be high for 8 hours again. ill just wait 16+ weeks.

Attention

I guess it is for bag appeal. But what I always found appealing, was how sparkly the trichomes were. Some people like tight nuggets the size of large gravel granite.

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
i don't care how the weed looks personally, but i do find the medium buds to be best. not too dense but not too airy. nothing wrong with airy buds, but the trimming is such a bitch that i just take off the large fans and say fuck the rest. not gonna be trimming off a million tiny little leaves. its got frost so im just gonna put that shit in the blunt/joint/bong/bowl. dense nugs are usually not leafy but they are dense and sometimes wont break down well by hand. can't always have a grinder with you when you're out. medium density buds though you can crumble with one hand because the calyxes are spaced apart a little and break down to a bunch of loose calyxes that roll up nicely into a blunt and burn well without a lot of relighting or canoeing.

Latest posts

Latest posts