What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Final Steps - The Flushing ,Trimming, and Drying Processes

That is a nice environment Verite. I'm about the same temps, but about 35%rh. My latest dried very nicely and is curing even better. I agree that low temp drying can do a great job if done correctly to avoid mold.

G

hey verite and durbanpoison, what kind of dry times do you guys get at those temps?

Sunset

Well finally got er done. Here is a pic of the product before drying.
:woohoo:

Appreciate all the info. Putting it to use right now.
I use my rubbermaid tub setup to dry in. Seems to ok. Takes a while though. The computer fan is slowed quite a lot by the charcoal. Seems to be taking 5-6 days, before it will hit a paper bag.

:smoweed: :sasmokin:

Verite

My little pony.. my little pony
Veteran
WhyMe said:
hey verite and durbanpoison, what kind of dry times do you guys get at those temps?

Mine is probably 1-2 weeks depending on how cold it gets.

420 dawg

Gr8 info THCeasar

Gr8 info THCeasar

It's interesting to see that the old tried n tru methods r still workin like they spoda. I've been usin this method for over 25 yrs n only twice did i get any mold, which was my fault, as i tried to rush the processing, went too quickly from the bag to jars. And yes, the wide mouth mason jars are the best to use (IMO).

As far as I'm concerned, u got a sticky from me!!

Excellent read indeed, and a must read for those with weed!!

420 Dawg
:respect:

THC•20

Damn, you actually mentioned some things that I didn't even know about within this flushing, trimming and drying process. Thanks for the guide man it's gonna help a lot! :rasta:

green_grow

Veteran
a question ... i have a jar of ganja which i THOUGHT had dried properly but, apparently not . it just wont stay lit and smokes poorly . for the last week or so i have had it sitting out in the open on a flat surface but it hasnt dried any further, probably because of the high humidity lately .

what should i do ... wait for drier weather ? microwave on low ? put in oven on low ?

green_grow said:
a question ... i have a jar of ganja which i THOUGHT had dried properly but, apparently not . it just wont stay lit and smokes poorly . for the last week or so i have had it sitting out in the open on a flat surface but it hasnt dried any further, probably because of the high humidity lately .

what should i do ... wait for drier weather ? microwave on low ? put in oven on low ?

This is just an idea. . . .If you have a crawl space under your house, you could

try that. Usually stays pretty cool and dry under neath my house, and I live

in One of the most Humid places in the states.

dope_roor

i vote that we combine this thread with the picture that everyone uses to determine trichome maturity and make it a sticky

i feel like that would answer a large majority of the questions asked in this forum

in other words, i loved it! nice write up :joint:

G

I want to ask something, sorry if it sounds stupid, but I'm still learning :rasta:
So as I read the instruction, it says that it's best to separate the buds from the main stem to increase the drying speed. But somewhere else on this forum I've red that the slower the drying, the better the taste...
And from some other peaople I've heard that hanging the entire plant gives some more potency than drying single buds...

In my stiuation I have no problem doing both... Ether hanging the entire plant, or hanging each branch individually... So which of these two options will give me best results?

THCzr

i think it really depends on what you're trying to do with the bud... if it's commercial just get it dry asap and out of the grow op..... imo hanging whole plants takes up too much room, and is definatly NOT easy to trim....

i say seperate the buds from the main stalk, but leave them on their individual branch, or just spread the buds out some on your colas mostly to avoid mold, and to keep these buds at about the same drying pace as the smaller more spread out buds.... not really to speed up the process, but to have everything finish about the same time.

the main stalk of the plant contains moisture and nutrients, both of which you don't want seeping into your drying buds imo. this is why i remove them... it's true you don't want your buds to dry too fast, but you dont want them to dry too slowly either.... generally that is what the paper bag method is for, it helps to "sweat" some of the moisture out of the buds and back into the buds.... so everything stays at an even level of dryness, and the buds arent taking on external moisture, just kind of stewing in their own juices until it spreads out enough to really be "dry" generally it takes about 11-14 days to really get a product that smokes how it should smoke imo.... after that you can toss em into jars and the flavor will really start to mellow out and lose some of that fresh plant taste / burn and you'll be on your way to some nicely cured personal stash.

try it side by side if you really want to test it out R_Blunt, i think you'll find individual branches to be optimal.

hope that helps some.

THC

ps... thanks everyone for the nice comments, i'm glad to see that this info has helped some folks out.... and thanks to the people who contributed their own input as well!

Last edited:
I Agree w/THCzr. But I just try to make sure that there's not too much bud on each branch when I hang dry. My personal rule of thumb has been to not hang more than what looks like a wet 1/4oz on each stick. So far this has worked out for me. And to touch again on trying the whole plant hanging - this can be done too, but it really isn't worth the time IMO. I've tried both ways and didn't notice much a difference at all aside from the whole plant taking an extra 2-3 days longer to be prepped for paper bag treatment.

Something I was thinking about tho is with the paper bags like that other dude said he was having problems with high RH. I think if you seal up your buds in the paper bag, it shouldn't effect your buds too bad as long as your burping/opening the bag up on a daily basis. I would think that would help the RH problem too.

Just today I started something a little different to test than using paper bags. I got small cardboard box and crumpled some news paper to make an evenish floor. Then I laid down one flat piece of news paper on top. Then I put my buds on top of that and made another flat piece of news paper on top of the buds. It's like a news paper bud sandwhich. Then I crumpled up a few more pieces of news paper and put it on the very top of it all and closed the flaps of the box, but I didn't seal them with anything, just letting them sit. I'll let you all know how it goes.

malik

Is manicuring the worst part of growing?

Is manicuring the worst part of growing?

Since I don't have any help, manicuring 15-30 plants sucks. When I'm done it's great, but this the worst part or is it just me? I'm hoping one day to get some help, but until then I want a machine. lol.
Very through thread. Would you suggest this more so for small ops vs big ops? 5-6 plants v 15-30?

Last edited:

High Jinks

I think manicuring is ALMOST the most rewarding part. Almost as much as :joint: A friend and i did 25 plants in a few hours. There are worse jobs.

ReeferDan

anybody ever hang the plants with roots still on it?

Last year an old hippie gave me and my grow friend a hint of advice to take out the rootball when we harvested and wrap it up in a plastic bag with most-all of the dirt off the rootball, then duct tape the bag around the stem so you dont get any dirt on your hanging lady. He told us to put a pan under the plant and watch the trics. THe plant literally dripped resin onto the pan, and the trics looked to elongate some.

This method isnt really needed on a fully done plant, but it helped to mature our immature plants that had to come out of the ground way too early this season.

Just shooting this out there to see if anyone else has heard of or tried drying a full plant with rootball still intact.

malik

Nope never hung um like that. I cut the bottom and let them hang for 7-9 days, trim and jar or bag. Me jar. Them bag.

Thanks High Jinks. I needed that. It just time consuming. My girl complains. But I do like the REWARDS. Maybe I should get her on JOB. Or maybe clone less. I can get carried away sometimes saying I don't want to waste that cutting or that looks to good to throw away. Then two months later a good problem. There are worse jobs. I've seen dirty jobs on discovery channel. They got it BAD.
Guess I'll get my six pack and start clipping. At least football is back on. :)

dope_roor

ReeferDan said:
anybody ever hang the plants with roots still on it?

Last year an old hippie gave me and my grow friend a hint of advice to take out the rootball when we harvested and wrap it up in a plastic bag with most-all of the dirt off the rootball, then duct tape the bag around the stem so you dont get any dirt on your hanging lady. He told us to put a pan under the plant and watch the trics. THe plant literally dripped resin onto the pan, and the trics looked to elongate some.

This method isnt really needed on a fully done plant, but it helped to mature our immature plants that had to come out of the ground way too early this season.

Just shooting this out there to see if anyone else has heard of or tried drying a full plant with rootball still intact.

do you have pictures of this? especially the tray with the resin, sounds very interesting.

Latest posts

Latest posts