What's new

Explosion of new white pistils close to harvest - normal?

I am getting close to harvest time (T-10 days) and I remember this happened last run, my first one, too. Close to harvest I get a huge increase in new white pistils on all the buds. The top pistils were already amber from about day 40 and now there are way more (new) white pistils than amber at day 50. last time I remember new white ones were still coming out, but I cut them down at day 60 with about 20% amber trichomes.

I know trichs are the better way to tell harvest time, but I was wondering if anyone else experiences this increase in white pistils and if anyone has any info as to whats going on. is this the typical final two week bud swelling? should I let it play all the way out until most of these new hairs turn amber or at least until new white ones stop forming? is it possible that this is a sign that I am going past the ideal harvest time?

I am growing DPS Masterkush

SocksRock

If I'm not mistaken the buds will ripen within the last two weeks I guess asa last ditch effort to make seeds (but can't because usually no pollen) and I'M guessing that with ripening some if not most strains will do this (pistils are part of the plants reproductive organs right? if not that they aid in production of ofspring)

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
usually when a plant sends out new pistils the flower production is still increasing. When the bud looks like its stacked with flowers and the hairs look to have shrunk. Basically it looks like the calyx eat the pistils and they will get rather short. Where are you looking at the trichomes from? Is it one bud? Some trichs turn amber sooner than others so make sure to check individual sections of the plant. i'd recommened to let it keep going if its still generating more pistils.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
Does it look like THIS ?

Sativa-dominantfoxtailonTRIUNEofMEN.jpg

I believe this began when I flushed my plants. Maybe the flushing, opened up new opportunities for the plant to feed and was stimulated to continue to grow.

I'm unsure why it happens but, luckily I'm still a week away from finishing.

G

GOOROO

that looks disgusting^^^^

I think he meant more like the dreadlock look

wdcf

It happens with some sativas and it makes it really frustrating on knowing when to harvest!, Thats why I stand by Looking at trichomes on when to harvest

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
Does it look like THIS ?

Sativa-dominantfoxtailonTRIUNEofMEN.jpg

I believe this began when I flushed my plants. Maybe the flushing, opened up new opportunities for the plant to feed and was stimulated to continue to grow.

I'm unsure why it happens but, luckily I'm still a week away from finishing.

Its definetly because its more sativa. They should really be fed all the way through even in the end since they still grow for such a long time. It must of just slowed down for a bit than you flushed all the nutes and it didnt like that to much and continued growing. Just so you know i already get little harshness as weird as it sounds from unflushed plants. The only thing i can attribute it to is organics, and it definitely helps the sativa to its full potential.

wdcf

I agree sativas, especially landrace sativas go hand in hand with organic growing

So let me get this right, you guys are suggesting not to flush? I use PBP nutes and FFOF so i guess thats pseudo-organic? I'll post a picture.

RetroGrow

Veteran
I am getting close to harvest time (T-10 days) and I remember this happened last run, my first one, too. Close to harvest I get a huge increase in new white pistils on all the buds. The top pistils were already amber from about day 40 and now there are way more (new) white pistils than amber at day 50. last time I remember new white ones were still coming out, but I cut them down at day 60 with about 20% amber trichomes.

I know trichs are the better way to tell harvest time, but I was wondering if anyone else experiences this increase in white pistils and if anyone has any info as to whats going on. is this the typical final two week bud swelling? should I let it play all the way out until most of these new hairs turn amber or at least until new white ones stop forming? is it possible that this is a sign that I am going past the ideal harvest time?

I am growing DPS Masterkush

It's not unusual to get "secondary" bud growth. Plants look like they are finished, but they start to pump out more bud material. Just watch your trichs and cut by your preference.

Owl Mirror

Veteran
I think the plants colors, leave the impression of FALL COLORS and, the end of the season.
The growth on my plant is definitely due to being a Sativa landrace.
I'm not worried about this secondary growth, I can just cut off that segment and cure it all by itself.
There is plenty of buds on that plant I can harvest when they are finished.

big ballin 88

Biology over Chemistry
Veteran
So let me get this right, you guys are suggesting not to flush? I use PBP nutes and FFOF so i guess thats pseudo-organic? I'll post a picture.

Using liquid nutients i would flush. However i like having slow acting fertz in my soil so even at the end the plants can still take in a lil of what they need. This is primarily for sativas since they will continue to take up nutes till the end and stretch all the way through(meaning they do need a little nitrogen to the end).

John Denver

It is all about the harvest window. Sativas/sat dom have a larger window for harvest and usually have secondary bud growth. You have a few different waves of new growth. I have had some indica dom plants do this but not too often. You can have a harvest widow of over a month with some sativas and that leaves plenty of time for new growth. I have yet to follow breeders instructions on when to harvest. You never know if they mean 8 weeks after they begin to flower, or 8 weeks after switching to 12/12. If the latter is the case that makes it a 10week strain in my eyes. hope this helps.

mixin

i have two SAGE plants flushing and in their final days. one pheno has four main colas. three of the colas look ready to pull and the other cola is pushing out foxtails with fresh white pistils... the other three colas look ready!

Fat Tone

I am also having this happen to some L.A. Confidential bagseed I was growing.They where more mature then dudes plants in this thread though.It made me wonder if I should flush or give them some nutes.Mostky cloudy trichomes right now with a few clear ones hear and there.

Should I flush them?

+Vibes

as per the white hair issue... i have noticed foxtails/new white hairs late in flower when my plants get too close the the light. could be a light intensity/heat thing.

just my thoughts :)

beejium

the last burst of hairs usually tells me to get the scope ready, because there is usually 1-3 weeks left. i see it on every plant i have ever grown and i do believe that it is a last ditch attempt to make seed.
i don't know that temperature causes fox tails, being that my winter grows are a little colder than the summer and i get fox tails year round with sativa plants. from what i have read here in the past, sativa plants normally fox tail.

Latest posts

Latest posts