What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Water Curing??

the couch said:
I don't think water curing your buds will be any better for your lungs since you're still burning it.
It removes all the chlorophyll, fert buildup, etc. and does make a more smooth smoke. :joint:

Last edited:
great info. I water cured before but never realized the benefit to sacraficing flavor, etc... was a healthier smoke. Makes sense.

I also own a volcanor and had taste issues at first. I think that the flavor is very similiar to what the plant smells like wet before it is cured. Try this some time. Take buds that you chop down and after air curing until they snap put them in a ziplock. Now zip most of it closed leaving only a few inch space open. Next suck out the air like you are vaccum sealing the bag. This taste is damn close to what the bud will taste like in my volcano.

While we are on the health thing I also think that burning pot until it is ash is harmful to your lungs. Vapes work by heating only the trichomes which turn to smoke at a lower temp than it takes to burn the rest of the flower. WOuldnt it reason than that the first pull on a small to med bowl would give you enough heat to vaprozie all the trichomes? Whats left than is the shit you dont want to smoke that is bad for your lungs. Obviously this works for a personal grower (like I am) that can easily out grow his needs to the point pot has no monetary value (its free :D )

peace

sgd

BudGood2006 said:
I have water cured, but purely by accident....I had a pill bottle filled with buds, and accidentally dropped em into the 2nd rinse. It was water only, no softener, or I wouldn't have smoked em. They were completely soggy, smelled like crap...I left them sitting on a shelf, and forgot about them for a bit....Decided on a whim to smoke some, and damn was it tasty! The water cure made it darker, so for people growing commercially it's not a viable option, but works for personal growers.

So it completely washes out excess fertilizer residue? Never heard that one before...Guess this is what I learned today. :D
Your buds would not of been water cured for momentarilly being submerged in water.

I beleive the water cure process takes between 5-10 days, depending, and you change the water daily... I'm not sure if you did that, but you may not of gotten the 'real' water cured experience.

I've read up on it, just havent tried it. I may water cure a bit of harvest this year to try it out for myself, the OG thread made me interested. The water cured bud could really help you out when you need to smoke in areas where you normally couldnt due to other people, and the smell of your burning bud.

G

Last time I watercured I noticed there was white slimy/wazy stuff on the edge of the tupperware. it wouldn't even come off after using paper towels to scrub it. is this normal? wtf is this?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Never had that happen, so I can't say that it's normal.

Were you changing the water everyday, and keeping it uncovered in a dark location?

Also, did you use any silicone additives in that crop?

The water was only in the pill bottle for a little under 24 hours, so yeah, it wasn't a true water cure... A half ass accidental one... The water was green when I dumped it out of the pill bottle, so I imagine it took some of the chlorophyll out...I'm gonna have to try water curing some next harvest....

ogrefugee

Official Tree Taster
Veteran
just makes the smoke "smoother" ie kills the taste. i could see the point for user's with lung problems or just been smoking too long... but my smoking career just started so i think i'll be air curing till it matters

G

NiteTiger said:
Never had that happen, so I can't say that it's normal.

Were you changing the water everyday, and keeping it uncovered in a dark location?

Also, did you use any silicone additives in that crop?
yes it was changed every day for 7 days but it was sealed up each day. no silicone was used, only organic nutes

NiteTiger

Veteran
Yeah, sealing it up probably caused problems. In the original W/C thread on OG, he was very specific about not sealing it up, said it'd cause nasties to accumulate, since they couldn't evaporate.

Delta9-THC

from the mists and the shadows .... there you wil
Veteran
Ok Nt ... when you gonna explain me the whole process. lol!
PEACE

NiteTiger

Veteran
Water Cure:

Place your buds into a container that will hold enough water to cover the submerged buds by at least an inch. I personally use a cooler with a drain spout. For the first 2 or 3 days, the buds will want to float, so you'll need something to hold them underwater. I use thin fry baskets to prevent from compressing the buds, but you can use anything that will hold them under, like a plate or even a board.

Keep the container in a cool, dark place, out of direct sunlight. Do not cover the top of your container. Mine sit in the back of my closet with the lid of the cooler open. Once a day, drain your water and add fresh water. Repeat for 7 days.

On the seventh day, remove the buds from the water, and dry. Because the buds are water logged, dehydrators are preferred for drying water cured buds, but not necessary. Standard hang drying is not recommended, due to the high water content making mold an extremely likely occurence. I personally use a cake cooling rack, with a fan blowing across and under it.

Heads Up:

Do not use the water cure on seeded bud - the seeds wil try to germinate and die.

Water curing robs your bud of its aroma, flavor, and, some say, bag appeal. It will, however, leave you with an extremely smooth, stealthy smoke. You can also expect a slight increase in potentcy, because the water cure does remove more weight from the bud. With a standard dry and cure, you'll generally see 25% of wet weight returned, whereas with a water cure, you should only expect about 15%.

Water curing, in my experience, is best used for 'Stealth Stash' and edibles. A significant portion of every one of my harvests gets water cured, because I'm more likely to reach for my 'Stealth Stash' than my jar cured, and also because I love edibles. Edibles with water cured bud don't have that telltale taste and smell, and I have smoked my stealth bud with police officers walking within arms reach.

Water cure is also excellent for crops that have not been properly flushed, or were over ferted. Some have also reported using it to great success on moldy buds, but I do not recommend it - moldy buds should be extracted or trashed, period. DO NOT SMOKE MOLDY BUDS, IT CAN CAUSE SERIOUS, LIFE THREATENING MEDICAL CONDITIONS.

The water cure is just like every other tool in a gardener's arsenal - use it correctly and you'll love it, use it wrong and you'll hate what it does to your crop.

AlexanderS

id have to say fuck water curin personaly :)
maybe toss a big bud in to see whats up, other then that id prefer not to soak buds.

NiteTiger

Veteran
Like I said Alexander, it has its purpose. Right tool for the job, and all that :D

Eucerinop - No reason why a first timer couldn't water cure, but no particularly compelling reason why they should. Personally, I'd say do a air dry and jar cure for your first crop. You need to learn, and you don't want to miss out on the taste and aroma of your very first crop, do ya?

DeadlyFoez

When I did a water cure, I hung my buds to dry in my closet and they were completely crisp by the next morning. It was unbelievable how fast it dried afterward.

Yes as everyone know, you have to water cure for AT LEAST 7 days. It has been noted that after 10 days of water curing it has reached its potential and curing any further would not be worth it.

I water cured Sensi Star, and the air dried buds were good, the water cured buds were even better. They still had a smell and taste to them that was unbelievably excellent, not washed out. I'd say that the water cured had a better smell and taste than the air cured by a factor of 10. And the high was sooooo goooood. 2 hits and I was out of it, where as it normally takes me almost 2 bowl packs of kind buds to achieve the high I wanted.

For first time growers, there is now way of screwing this up unless you are too high or just stupid. I think it's so much easier than burping jars because theres too much of a chance of mold if you dont do it when you need to. Hanging to dry can totally make you lose all potency

Water curing is the way to grow.

JWP

Why wouldn’t people water cure? That’s the question im asking.

Everyone is buying all sorts of hormones and shit to enhance growth and max out the yield but just as the buds are starting to pack on the pounds they cut the feeding and flush. It just doesn’t make sense to me.

The Ganja Gods have given us this wonderful way to process. Use it! :joint:

The plant has been growing and now is reaching its maximum potential. Now its pumping the nutes around better than ever and the roots are at their max doing the best they are going to do through out the whole life cycle of the plant.

Why the hell would any logically thinking, rational person cut the nutrients now and flush? The maximum growth potential is now and you cutting the nutes. Are you mad???

Say your plant flowers for 60 days…. & flush for 7 ….
7/60 * 100 = 11.66

That’s 11.66% … Not just any old 11% either. 11% of the best growth you will have throughout the whole grow.