What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

'In Search of the ULTIMATE SATIVA and INDICA'....(Rare Land-Race Hunting.)

B

beanz

some austrailian bastard cannabis would be nice

i also second the papua new guinea

not many nepal landraces available on the market too, i would like some that smell like purple pixie stix

alot of aus genetics is just talked up , people love talking shit up if they think people can,t get it . funny the gear really talked up is the stuff not let out .

same as New Guinea , alot I saw was pretty Mello cruise type smoke

finding the exceptions and using them is the secret in any genetics .

therevverend

Veteran
Mustang Valley is an amazing place. It's like a Tibetan time machine the only part that's managed to avoid the outside world. From what I've heard it's difficult for foreigners to get access. Costs $ and there's a waiting period.
A while back they found a bunch of ancient Buddhist manuscripts left in caves by monks. You can find documentaries about them. Exploring the caves sound like it was quite the adventure.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mustang_Caves

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Oh man, this is so cool! So much great information on this thread already and it's just started. Thanks SO much gypsy for taking the time to write all that history and background. Now, if I could just figure out how to make my sub button work...

Gypsy, I've been long time curious about the idea that genetics from Afghanistan might have been brought to the Philippines at some point in the 70-80's? And, if so what's going on with it now? My apologies if this is old news, or you've discussed it before and I missed it.

The Seed Hunter

Mustang Valley is an amazing place. It's like a Tibetan ........... From what I've heard it's difficult for foreigners to get access.
I was in tibet in the early 1990's when it was pretty much a closed shop,Upper Mustang will be a lot easier to travel in,couple of years ago i went to pattaya to visit a friend who went there to arrange a 100kg load of hash to be shipped to europe.

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
I was in tibet in the early 1990's when it was pretty much a closed shop,Upper Mustang will be a lot easier to travel in,couple of years ago i went to pattaya to visit a friend who went there to arrange a 100kg load of hash to be shipped to europe.

Lmao 100kg load of hash, hearing stuff like this always makes me chuckle thinking about my escapades in comparison.:laughing:

Ive read that marijuana in fiji is beleived to have been brought from india, and i read a post from Sam_Skunkman about jamaican landraces probably deriving from elsewhere also:

To be honest I did not see much in India that reminded me of Jamaican Ganja landrace varieties pre invasion of the WLD varieties.
The closest may have been some in Kerala vaguely similar but different terps by my nose.
I suspect that Jamaican NLD varieties were a blend of Indian and African genes that settled down into stable landraces in Jamaica?

-SamS

Makes you wonder, really how many true pure landrace varieties are there?

Elmer Bud

Genotype Sex Worker AKA strain whore
Veteran
I have been to Burma a number of times Elmer,interesting place,travel restrictions are like rules and laws,flexible at times.Your right about hash quality in mustang,and I have already been given the heads-up as to an area for a seed search,watch this space mate.

G `day SH

I read a novel called the 100 Kilo Club by Simon Gandolfi back when I as a kid .
Lots of info re Hash regions and varieties .

As they say in the classics ; make sure you`re wearing clean undies . lol .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Elmer Bud

Veteran
Oh man, this is so cool! So much great information on this thread already and it's just started. Thanks SO much gypsy for taking the time to write all that history and background. Now, if I could just figure out how to make my sub button work...

Gypsy, I've been long time curious about the idea that genetics from Afghanistan might have been brought to the Philippines at some point in the 70-80's? And, if so what's going on with it now? My apologies if this is old news, or you've discussed it before and I missed it.

G `day MR GG

People doing this , more likely Pakistanis than Afghans .
Pakistani folks are part of the British Commonwealth . So could travel freely . Have relatives in UK and USA . Afghan folks not known for travel or emigration .

Large Pakistani syndicate in Mozambique over sees hash and heroin logistics from Pakistan to Africa to EU and beyond .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

Elmer Bud

Veteran
Lmao 100kg load of hash, hearing stuff like this always makes me chuckle thinking about my escapades in comparison.:laughing:

Ive read that marijuana in fiji is beleived to have been brought from india, and i read a post from Sam_Skunkman about jamaican landraces probably deriving from elsewhere also:

Makes you wonder, really how many true pure landrace varieties are there?

G `day IBC

Fiji has a large Indian population .
There have been several military coups there since the 80s . Indians get elected to government ,the indigenous folks complain , the military stage a coup . Rinse repeat .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

The Seed Hunter

People doing this , more likely Pakistanis than Afghans .
Afghan folks not known for travel or emigration .

your right about migration Elmer,i never saw any afghani in the PI but I have met a number of Pakistani in Cebu and Davao,students normally studying at the Uni's :tiphat: Quite a few Indians also,sikh's normally involved in various business :tiphat:

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
For many years all I saw in the PI's was fairly low grade dried 'erb, not unlike commercial Mexican/Colombian, although at times you could get some good imported Afghani hash....
If you were to go north to Sagada or Baguio then you might find some locals involved in the trade, and dependent on the year and whats being currently grown, it could prove interesting...

There is a huge cannabis industry in the Philippines, mostly run by protected government officials who do a 'propaganda' bust once a year up in the mountains to show all the worlds agencies and governments that they are trying to eradicate cannabis production (but not really)......by uprooting a few plants and burning them...

I expect that other cannabis varieties have been introduced to the area in recent years, and there is a small homegrown scene there too, so many more varieties are being grown as I type. I guess that the best sativa I ever saw in the North of Luzon was called 'Kalinga Gold'.....which came from the same place as the very tasty Kalinga coffee and both reminded me of Colombia. There is a strong SAmerican/Mexican feel to much in the Philippine Islands due to having been a colony of Spain for 300 years or more, and I expect that the first cannabis crops in the Philippines might have been seeded with seeds from S.America....since many Spanish ships traded between the America's and S.E.Asia and on to Europe too...over hundreds of years you had regular Spanish Galleons coming into Manila Bay loaded with all sorts of goods from the America's and beyond.

Last edited:
There are many things you have to try and plan for and requirements needed in advance of any trip you might take. Insurance in case of accident and/or loss could prove essential or you could end up in a hospital after taking a fall and be trying to beg relatives or friends to bail you out of the medical costs, or the hospital will remain your prison......which can be very humbling.....a bit too much for most people, so best try and have insurance coverage if you can, you never know when you might need to be airlifted out of a danger zone,

Hmmm... a "medical airlift" might be a way to get that kilo of must have seeds out of a tight place. Bet a patients bags arent searched before getting on a helocopter quite the same way they would be at the boarder. Expensive yes but better then spending years in the clink. Just a thought.

Be well as you travel Seed Hunter. I look forward to picures along the way. I will live vicariously through your adventure and await what wonders you may find.

Godspeed brother.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Sounds like a caper worthy of a title such as 'The Great Bhutan Seed-Lift'.....lol (start writing the script now)....

Hmmm... a "medical airlift" might be a way to get that kilo of must have seeds out of a tight place. Bet a patients bags arent searched before getting on a helocopter quite the same way they would be at the boarder. Expensive yes but better then spending years in the clink. Just a thought.

Elmer Bud

Veteran
your right about migration Elmer,i never saw any afghani in the PI but I have met a number of Pakistani in Cebu and Davao,students normally studying at the Uni's :tiphat: Quite a few Indians also,sikh's normally involved in various business :tiphat:

G `day SH

Is there any where in the western world that there are no Sikhs ?

They are often good for directions in non English speaking countries .
See the turban and walk on up and ask do you speak English , more often than not they do in my exp .

Thanks for sharin

EB .

SuperZero

Wow, this should be an epic adventure!
Have you guys set any dates yet?
Are the seasons going to play a big role on when you venture?

Mr. Greengenes

Re-incarnated Senior Member
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Awesome, thanks for taking the time to talk about the Philippines for me/us Gypsy. My tita (in law) says that the natives, the Ifuego, are the ones that grow the 'mary-juana' up in the mountains. Her family is from the Illocos area, I guess that's north? They're a farming family, but she claims to know nothing about growing cannabis. Tita is in her mid 70's, so I'm guessing cannabis wasn't even illegal there when she was a child. Anyway, thanks again Gypsy. Can't wait to see how this 'caper' plays out!

Satyros

Ok, maybe a bit of jealousy here, but I certainly am a fan of the guys who actually do what I would like to.

Which is pretty much a continuous loop around and through Nepal.

So I just buy "souvenirs", or seeds, from those who really went.

I'm not knowledgeable about strains, and am in no position to dispute what's real or pure or whatever. And I haven't tried it yet, but feel compelled to say this about Bhutanese cannabis:

In my outdoor run this year, five different kinds, the Bhutanese (three of them) was planted last--not until June! Everything else ranging from two weeks to three months earlier, and all of it being sativa or mostly sativa hybrid.

And in unmistakable terms--the Bhutanese outgrew them all. And then it was the first to flower, and the most to flower. These are the biggest plants I have ever had, I try to keep them small, but it's taller than me. They are outrageous. The most sativa-looking as well, very narrow leaf, bamboo-ish and so forth.

Bhutan is not quite tropical, it's about 25 N, so it's not keyed to the relatively stable tropical photoperiod. My guess is that makes it more suitable for growing in places distant from the equator (35 N here).

Without knowing the high, all I can say, is that as a plant, it is the most impressive that I have come across, out of the ten or twelve strains we have tried so far.

I don't blame the country one bit for imposing an entry barrier.

I'm sure they have multiple varieties, but at least one of them gets the honor of consistently blowing away all older plants with its development. Beastly.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Let's all hope that the Seed-Hunters determination to succeed in this venture holds true. There are always many obstacles in the way, and much cost before you might find yourself in the position to acquire what you may seek....Resolve and conscientiousness will see you thru.

Most of us have a story or two about seeking our own 'Holy Grail' of fine cannabis genetics in one form or another, and the sheer adventure that can entail.

After our little chat earlier this week seems like this trip should be well underway within 6 weeks or so...Still much preparation to get sorted.

Bhutan is the last great Himalayan kingdom,totally unique,i was turned away at the border back in the early 1990's when I rocked up at the indian land border,i am going to get in this time :biggrin:

W

Water-

Last I checked, it was 250$ a day to enter Bhutan and you had to be on a government organized tour.

is that still true?

I traveled to Tibet overland from Nepal (Kathmandu to Lhasa) about 20 years ago and thats how it was.
No real independent traveling about trying to connect with people was allowed.

They knew where you were at all times.

We brought our own Hash from Nepal with us.

best of luck