What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement redesign

What's up everyone?! Been a few years since I've been around the forums, I was running a little 3kw stadium for a couple of years.

I believe the specs were 6x10x7 with 3kw and two 6" fans/filters between the lights. I ran everything from 7 gallon pots with bigger plants and a shelf system with 3 gallons and even 1 gallon v-SOG. Organic soils as always. Sometimes a drip system, but usually just hand water.

My landlord wanted to do an inspection (first time in 2.5 years) so I had to tear everything down. Probably a good thing as I had become entirely uninspired and my gardening was seeming more of a chore than anything. That was over 6 months ago.

Since then I've thrown up a couple of stacked bulbs in the corner and am coming up on my first harvest in a while. I am re-building my grow in the upcoming weeks.

Space isn't restricted. Equipment is. I will not be purchasing more initially. I have 3, 1000w ballasts. I have 2 flip boxes. Question is, how do I set it up? I don't have much desire to attempt a SOG clone factory.

I'm thinking another 3kw stadium. Two tiers with plants in 3-5 gallons, finishing up at 30-36". I calculated my previous 6x10' room last time based on 50w/sqft. I kinda feel like that was maybe a little large? How big would you build a 3kw stadium? I assume 24-30" between bulbs?

Then I can use my flip boxes on 2 ballast and do a 6x6 stacked bulb set-up with trees in 15 gallon pots. Only looking to grow some 5' plants, leaving 12" at the ceiling for heat to collect/be exhausted.

Veg is in a separate room, I have a 8 bulb T5, a 6 bulb T5 and a 400w MH for vegging.

What would you do differently?

Pics are:

few plants I currently have vegging out (sour d, gorilla bomb, double black, jabba's stash, grape ox, blue dream cbd, white widow).
My current flower room situation, donut in 15 gallons.
KQB (hazeman)current
Lemon Stomper (hazeman) current
old stadium prior to tear down.

Attachments

• 20171216_114836.jpg
    20171216_114836.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20171216_115424.jpg
    20171216_115424.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 57
  • 20171216_115221.jpg
    20171216_115221.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20171216_115239.jpg
    20171216_115239.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 52
  • EchOwXY.jpg
    EchOwXY.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 52
some of the stuff i have grown

Attachments

• IMG_3113.jpg
    IMG_3113.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_2933.jpg
    IMG_2933.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 8VAkpuv.jpg
    8VAkpuv.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 46
  • xO8Vk57.jpg
    xO8Vk57.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3123.jpg
    IMG_3123.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 51
So I took so measurements, and have a 10x10 area to dedicate to flowering out of a 15'8"x12' room. The room itself is not light proof, and is far easier to frame up a room within a room than to light proof (trust me, i tried)

Electrical is handled by a 50a (60, maybe?) ran to a C.A.P. master lighting controller along with a 20a 120v for fans and such.

Cold air from outside is used for cooling this time of the year. Just a duct booster fan hooked to a thermostat. Portable AC in the summer. Really need a good humidifier, but I hose the concrete floor down when RH drops below 30. Dehuey in the summer.

Previous setup involved circulating air through my entire basement (3 rooms) Lung>veg>flower>Lung via dual 12" inline fans. Since my basement is climate controlled, i saw very little increase in ambient temperature when running 4kw flower plus veg. This also gave me a good early warning for failing filters as my basememt would start to stink long before it was noticeable anywhere else. May elect to go that route again as it is super easy to set up and seemed fairly effective. Low RH in the winter is the biggest obstacle.

Veg room is a little half assed thing. Nothing but lights hung in a room and circulating fans. Also my bigest obstacle to a truly great grow. I really need to invest in a better veg room.

meadowman

good to see you back around. get on that veg room, u want em girls healthy as they can be when they go in flower. look forward to the grow.

Thanks man! Should be getting to the build this week. Veg room will definitely be an area of focus, I really just need to build a shelf system for the younger plants that dont't take up so much room to clear some space for the big plants. I wasn't able to keep my mothers when I was forced to tear down the grow, unfortunately.

Given the small number of vegging plants I have right now i'll likely frame the stadium first and use that area to dry my current flowering crop while i set up the stacked bulb donut for my veg plants, then entirely gutting veg and starting there from scratch. Stadium is the "star" of the show, so I want to make sure that gets done first and anything else can get worked in around that.

Buddler

Veteran
Oh! Any feedback on stadium size?

6x10' puts it right at 50w per sqft at 3000w. Go with that? 5x10?

Ya ever read northern farmers thread ? he used shelves four per side v scrog with trellis smaller pots two gal ,your room would work well for that.. 6x10 get all u can out of it it ll be a nice setup whatever you decide:tiphat:

DunHav`nFun

Just found this thread Bro.....I don`t post much anymore , but glad you`re still hangin.....now.....

Hopefully things are still moving forward with new designs in flower as well as a new veg area....Good luck and holler if I can help.....I`ll be on my bucket watchin and waitin..... ...

Peace....DHF....:ying:.....