What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

REAL Landrace Colombian Gold.

Tazz11

People have found decent phenos in WOS Colombian

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=111347

you may not know this but most true LR (Land Race ) are male dominate strains ...and yes I have 5 of the WOS CG and I can tell you it is a true breeding IBL for the most part , in fact , it is hard to find a pheno type in a batch of 5 mine look very close .. 3 shorted and two taller but true traits ...I have a few good example right now ...the first picture see plant with the thermostat BG OG (Black Ghost OG )DWC, to the right in the soil bag is a WOS CG and to the left you can see the other tall one and the tag reads CG ...they top well and train well .. so far ...

Last edited:

Tazz11

BTW...Good read ..Thanks for sharing..Very believable OG community is >>Alive and well:biggrin: LOL Dan..I did the same thing and was pissed I could not get it that golden look!!..Back in those days "we"smuggled lots of weed..Some paid hard..Some didnt
But I had the pleasure to speak w a columbian on boat that spoke english...I asked him "how" they got it GOLD,,Turns out ,its quite simple..They "rung" the plants and dried and cured right on the plant..Then barned it...Squished it with hydrualic jack..

Sure enough!! I tried it the following year and was spot on!!!
Then The US started liking the "new" green sinsimillia when that book came out>>Name escapes me,but i was already doing that then..My first grows came from bails from that weed...LOL Dont think a 15 year old wasnt sampling all that good herb:biggrin:
Good thread dude..Peace!! <ws>
your 100% correct . I smoke the CR in 1971 .. tasted like a boat hull ...lol get you high as "F"...lol and you also correct the cured it the same way the Hawaiians showed them they cured Kona bud ...they did let it try right on the plant , all the Cr I saw in the early 70's was press weed bricks or bales ... well state Wolf ...

Tazz11

so, I work hydro shops, and I have for the better part of a decade. Anyway, It all started about 6-7 years ago when a customer came in with a mini jar of Colombian Gold.

The shop owner and myself couldn't BELIEVE how nice this was, grown in super soil under 1000w HPS...the high seemed to have had no ceiling, super giggly, ispiring, coversation starting, creativity, and to boot, it feels like your head is on a balloon 6 feet over you head, with a nice top of the dome halo buzz constantly. Couldn't believe it, a sativa I had been in search of for years. the TASTE and SMELL! HAZE. Haze haze haze. Cantaloupe (yeah, that's how you spell it, had to look that one up HAH!) SCRAIGHT up cantaloupe. smell and taste match each other. but that REAL sativa, Haaaaaze is what it had going on.

The story goes, the older gentleman (from out of state, the customer from the shop) was in the army during Nam' ...and one of his close Army buddies has family in Colombia. Well, they end up finding each other, and sharing the same flight shortly after meeting up again in an airport far far away. So they chop it up on the plane, talking about what each other had been doing for the last X amount of years. To make a long story short, the friend hears he has/had been growing and had been trying to find "what they had when they were kids" Well the guy, being from, and having family in Colombia arranges beanz to be mailed to my old customer, this was a couple 15 yrs ago atleast. He Pheno hunts the small amount of beans from the Gold they had been growing naturally for 60-80+ years, maybe longer in that area of Columbia, finds a winner pheno, and rocks with it for years and years before I even met him (dudes more than twice my age). Its pretty much all he wants to grow!

so after 6 years or so of asking this guy for cuttings, he FINALLY comes through. I grew them out in a 4x8 tent under 2x 1000w setups, in hand made super soil, (old vic high recipe) fed very little with some Herculean Harvest (liquid bone meal, 0-10-0) and a fair amount of mammoth P. I did 4 plants under 2000w in 5 gal smart pots, I yielded roughly 12-13 zips per plant, w some BIG colas.

here's some pics of the finished well cured product. This is as legit as I can see it getting folks, mind you this was only my first run. If I didnt get a new phone (and didnt want them converting my pics over LOL) I woulda been able to show the live plants.

She will forever remain a staple in my garden and flower at least one with every run. not the strongest obviously, its a strain 3 times older than myself at the VERY least lol. At this time, being that my dude didn't give it to anyone but me, I would have to assume only 2 people in the USA are rocking THIS Colombian gold. but that's why I'm posting it, I thought it'd make for great discussion...

I've hooked up some old heads with it, they take a toke and look at me shocked and wide eyed before they blow it out.."This is it!" I wouldnt know being an 80s baby.

Thanks yall! Peace kids. I HOPE some of my old overgrow.com refugees chime in! my old crew. Haven't made a post in YEARS!

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74546&pictureid=1781883" target="_blank">View Image

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74546&pictureid=1781882" target="_blank">View Image

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74546&pictureid=1781879" target="_blank">View Image

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74546&pictureid=1781880" target="_blank">View Image

<a href="https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=74546&pictureid=1781881" target="_blank">View Image

dude the cannabis edge june of 98 ... whats up ..dude .. your dead on the mark . I smoke the CR in 1971 and the gold in 74 .. so I just got these WOS CG and I will tell you if they are real or just a dance ,... if you like that old Sativa . I have its grand daddy 1969 Mekong ,Vietnamese red wide leaf sativa ...in a super hybrid ...and yes clear with no upper end ... sweet old school .. this is the breeder 38 years , a word goes out to the site . MH is sick and his life is at risk .. 54 years growing ... he is my best friend and a true legend ... pray for him he has earned it ...

Sativan

I loved smoking the old CG in High School. But that was a very long time ago. It's hard to know what you're buying now. The only way to know for sure is to fly to Columbia and travel around. Find someone to hook you up.

Smokey Mcbong

BTW...Good read ..Thanks for sharing..Very believable OG community is >>Alive and well:biggrin: LOL Dan..I did the same thing and was pissed I could not get it that golden look!!..Back in those days "we"smuggled lots of weed..Some paid hard..Some didnt
But I had the pleasure to speak w a columbian on boat that spoke english...I asked him "how" they got it GOLD,,Turns out ,its quite simple..They "rung" the plants and dried and cured right on the plant..Then barned it...Squished it with hydrualic jack..

Sure enough!! I tried it the following year and was spot on!!!
Then The US started liking the "new" green sinsimillia when that book came out>>Name escapes me,but i was already doing that then..My first grows came from bails from that weed...LOL Dont think a 15 year old wasnt sampling all that good herb:biggrin:
Good thread dude..Peace!! <ws>

What do you mean by rung? Like, they squeezed it?

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ I think he means they cut the stalk, peeled some of the skin off it. According to Snowhigh, most 'Colombian Gold' was just regular left in the sun to bleach it. Real CG was rare.

Last edited:

troutman

Seed Whore
Stop feeding the plant nutrients 1/2 way thru flowering and grow them in full sunlight they will get gold.

Too much nitrogen will keep the plants green and is why most people never see the nice colorations. :tiphat:

RC_Colas

Veteran
^^ I think he means they cut the stalk, peeled some of the skin off it. According to Snowhigh, most 'Colombian Gold' was just regular left in the sun to bleach it. Real CG was rare.

Hola folks,

This technique is called 'girdling' and was a reported traditional harvesting process used in Columbian.

Saludos

RC_Colas
:tiphat:

ahortator

Veteran
Hi, this is from Marijuana Botany by Robert Connell Clark:

a) Colombia - (0 to 10 north latitude)

Colombian Cannabis originally could be divided into two basic strains: one from the low-altitude humid coastal areas along the Atlantic near Panama, and the other from the more arid mountain areas inland from Santa Marta. More recently, new areas of cultivation in the interior plateau of southern central Colombia and the highland valleys stretching southward from the Atlantic coast have become the primary areas of commercial export Cannabis cultivation. Until recent years high quality Cannabis was available through the black market from both coastal and highland Colombia. Cannabis was introduced to Colombia just over 100 years ago, and its cultivation is deeply rooted in tradition. Cultivation techniques often involve transplanting of selected seedlings and other individual attention. The production of "la mona amarilla" or gold buds is achieved by girdling or removing a strip of bark from the main stem of a nearly mature plant, thereby restricting the flow of water, nutrients, and plant products. Over several days the leaves dry up and fall off as the flowers slowly die and turn yellow. This produces the highly prized "Colombian gold" so prevalent in the early to middle 1970s (Partridge 1973). Trade names such as "punta roja" (red tips [pistils] ), "Cali Hills," "choco," "lowland," "Santa Marta gold," and "purple" give us some idea of the color of older varieties and the location of cultivation.

In response to an incredible demand by America for Cannabis, and the fairly effective control of Mexican Cannabis importation and cultivation through tightening border security and the use of Paraquat, Colombian farmers have geared up their operations. Most of the marijuana smoked in America is imported from Colombia. This also means that the largest number of seeds available for domes tic cultivation also originate in Colombia. Cannabis agri-business has squeezed out all but a few small areas where labor-intensive cultivation of high quality drug Cannabis such as "la mona amarilla" can continue. The fine marijuana of Colombia was often seedless, but commercial grades are nearly always well seeded. As a rule today, the more remote highland areas are the centers of commercial agriculture and few of the small farmers remain. It is thought that some highland farmers must still grow fine Cannabis, and occasional connoisseur crops surface. The older seeds from the legendary Colombian strains are now highly prized by breeders. In the heyday of "Colombian gold" this fine cerebral marijuana was grown high in the mountains. Humid lowland marijuana was characterized by stringy, brown, fibrous floral clusters of sedative narcotic high. Now highland marijuana has become the commercial product and is characterized by leafy brown floral clusters and sedative effect. Many of the unfavorable characteristics of imported Colombian Cannabis result from hurried commercial agricultural techniques combined with poor curing and storage. Colombian seeds still contain genes favoring vigorous growth and high THC production. Colombian strains also contain high levels of CBD and CBN, which could account for sedative highs and result from poor curing and storage techniques. Domestic Colombian strains usually lack CBD and CBN. The commercial Cannabis market has brought about the eradication of some local strains by hybridizing with commercial strains.

Colombian strains appear as relatively highly branched conical plants with a long upright central stem, horizontal limbs and relatively short internodes. The leaves are characterized by highly serrated slender leaflets (7-11) in a nearly complete to overlapping circular array of varying shades of medium green. Colombian strains usually flower late in temperate regions of the northern hemisphere and may fail to mature flowers in colder climates. These strains favor the long equatorial growing seasons and often seem insensitive to the rapidly decreasing daylength during autumn in temperate latitudes. Because of the horizontal branching pattern of Colombian strains and their long growth cycle, pistillate plants tend to produce many flowering clusters along the entire length of the stem back to the central stalk. The small flowers tend to produce small, round, dark, mottled, and brown seeds. Imported and domestic Colombian Cannabis often tend to be more sedative in psychoactivity than other strains. This may be caused by the synergistic effect of THC with higher levels of CBD or CBN. Poor curing techniques on the part of Colombian farmers, such as sun drying in huge piles resembling com post heaps, may form CBN as a degradation product of THC. Colombian strains tend to make excellent hybrids with more rapidly maturing strains such as those from Central and North America.

Colombian strains have dissapeared already from Colombia. At least they are not the staple weed strain grown there. I have been told by friends there they cannot get sativas as a few years ago.

About 10 years ago they got pure sativa brick in the street, full of seeds. Seeds for free! Or at least they came along with the bud. One of my friends kidding even caledl it was a seedbank "Prensi Seeds" because he was able to sample the product and later choose to grow those seeds. I was telling them even to the point of being annoying they must keep those seeds safe in the fridge or frozen. One of them even traveled to the Sierra Nevada of Santa Marta and he said he got Santa Marta Gold there. He sent me some seeds but they became lost in the post office because an error in the address name and they rejected to give me the letter. So I preffer to forget all about Santa Marta Gold or any Colombian sativas because I get angry.

Commercial production today there is filled by BLD hybrids. So no longer you are going to get fine Colombian sativa/NLD heirlooms in the street, or imported bricks. Cripy or cripa crapy, mainly BLD/Afghan/Kush type hybrids have spreaded there so widely, you can risk your life far in the mountains to only find the same type of garbage couchlocking polyhybrids most people grow in indoor closets at home in anticannabis dictatorships in Western countries.

Such situation has led to one of the most silly, stupid, sick, crazy things I have ever seen about marihuana growing!!!

https://youtu.be/OrmYdLc-0hQ

Now they need lights at night growing outdoors because fast hybrids flower so early there in the Equator they produce tiny plants with a ridiculous crop!

Also they need to waste money stupidly not only in bulbs, wire, electricity,... but also in pesticides, chemical fertilizers,... to get a far inferior product than when they grew their own sativa heirlooms!

:cry::wallbash::bashhead::puke::crazy::cuss:

OldCoolSativa

Such situation has led to one of the most silly, stupid, sick, crazy things I have ever seen about marihuana growing!!!

https://youtu.be/OrmYdLc-0hQ

Now they need lights at night growing outdoors because fast hybrids flower so early there in the Equator they produce tiny plants with a ridiculous crop!

Also they need to waste money stupidly not only in bulbs, wire, electricity,... but also in pesticides, chemical fertilizers,... to get a far inferior product than when they grew their own sativa heirlooms!

:cry::wallbash::bashhead::puke::crazy::cuss:

Good God. What a shame.

W

Water-

thats why I stocked up on mangobiche and Colombian Gold '72 seeds.

the old world is slipping away fast

willydread

Dread & Alive
Veteran
I have a few seeds recovered in Cali(Colombia) in the fridge,the weed and the high was very sativa-like,when the right time will come,them will go to mother land...

The seed for this queen came from "consumers of Cannabis and persons of no particular trade" at Playa Salguero. Rodadero/Santa Marta.

I live in SM Rodardero so this is a legit look see at what I assume would be SMCG since that where the seed came from. I did NOT witness the harvest of the bud but rather the high.

I also live 6 months a year in Oregon which is where these pics were taken. Germinated 2018 Feb. and strong seedling by March 1. Grown in Greenhouse with mild winter here in Oregon. Now it "ON" with this queen. Until Oct-Nov when I return to Colombia again for winter. NOTE: the color of the outer part of stalk. Purple/Red color from ground to top! Not sure what that is about but does not seem to affect the health.

I was in Minca (foothills of the Sierra Nevada de Santa Marta) at the local Medical Dispensary and met the Senorita there. Super nice Chica and very motivated to Medical cause. Very helpful and friendly in my case. I stay in contact with her and will visit again upon returning. Great to have the opportunity to live in such a super place in retirement.

Attachments

• IMG_1332.jpg
    IMG_1332.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1334.jpg
    IMG_1334.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 28

Huesos

Santa Marta Gold

Santa Marta Gold

Hola Amigos, here is a teaser in the Santa Marta Gold....

Attachments

• 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 44
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 31
  • 024.jpg
    024.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 37

Latest posts

Latest posts