What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

authentic real durban poison?

Dave Coulier

Veteran
Bootz grew out your strain then Far out? I grew some Dave Coullier's DP and got some intense highs from it. Not sure how pure as it matured really fast.

Hey Yessum, I agree it may not be 100% pure too. I feel like some PCK may have found its way into the line during Afropips time with the line. There are some fast maturing ones that are ready by Day 80 if not a week sooner, while others will sometimes be in the 110 day range and have a much more sativa leaning expression. Im selecting for longer flowering plants to produce the next generation with. Although, maybe I should select for a fast flowering line as well. Just a thought..

Im glad you enjoyed the highs you got from it. Anyone locally that has gotten to try the line raves about it. Got any links to the plants you grew out?

Here is one confirmed mom to produce the next gen, she's even got the metallic purple fan leaves too. :woohoo:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
^^ No, the plants were so tiny I did not want to do pics. I have one revegging though. Nice high somewhere in the C99 spectrum I would say. Racy but not noidy. Of course anything can get to you if you take enough and are in the wrong state of mind.

Thanks for making these available.

Dave Coulier

Veteran
^^ No, the plants were so tiny I did not want to do pics. I have one revegging though. Nice high somewhere in the C99 spectrum I would say. Racy but not noidy. Of course anything can get to you if you take enough and are in the wrong state of mind.

Thanks for making these available.

I completely understand not wanting to take pics. I fell into the same trap with some of Madmacs Golden Tiger x Tom hill Haze. I kept the plants in small containers their whole life, and got small plants that didn't produce like the beautiful majestic ladies he throws up. I felt small and ashamed. They deserved so much better. :shucks:

Im glad you enjoyed the plants, and hope the reveg plant will get a chance to shine. The line can be tough to reveg sometimes, and can takes upwards of 2 months under normal veg hours to begin reveg. Now I make sure to have a cutting available before flowering. Lost too many nice plants over the years relying on "hope she revegs for me! lol"

:tiphat:

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
^^^ Kill that grasshopper before it does damage.

I had lots of them this Summer and hate them. :frown:

Dont mess around, grab them and pull their heads clean off.

I've stomped the hell out of them and left them to die. come back in 5 minutes and they are gone. Only to find them munching away the day after.

They are tough pests, exterminate with extreme prejudice.

meizzwang

There are so many threads across multiple forums regarding Durban poison, and none of them seem to tell the full story.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm starting to get the impression that DP's hybridized and subsequent back crossed version is partially responsible for setting off this whole Durban craze? That would make sense because flowering a 12-16 week sativa is harder to finish than a 10-12 week version. In other words, most people probably have the hybrid version and call it the real deal durban poison. Maybe that is the durban poison everyone is referring to these days? I've also been reading about how everyone is chasing this "anise" pheno, which comes from DP's hybrid version.

While I know Durban Poison was popular decades ago, it recently became a lot more hyped out due to girl scout cookies having it in its pedigree. You even hear about desirable "durban" phenos of GSC, which I thought was GSCxDP, but turns out it's a S1 or S2 sativa leaning pheno of GSC.

CBG's website states their Durban line is from 4 generations of selective breeding, and it reportedly hasn't been crossed with anything (ie. is pure, 100% sativa from Durban, South Africa). I've read somewhere on the forums that this line was acquired from some source in Durban, South Africa, but not all strains originating from Durban, SA are durban poison. It is interesting that they would call this line durban and not durban poison.

In any case, there's one phenotype with purple-red stems, and every last plant has a crazy loud smell when doing a stem rub! The color form individual produced its very first resinous bract, and the smell spot on reminds me of the real deal Indiana Bubblegum! It's unmistakable! African sativas are reportedly racy, and I remember Indiana bubblegum being crazy strong but uncomfortably paranoid-inducing. I hope this durban is a soaring, comfortable, strong sativa, not a racy, crazy-eyed version....

Below is CBG's limited edition Durban, I think beans were acquired in 2017. Crickets best describe the reports on this strain: I haven't seen a complete grow and smoke report on it yet. Anyone have a link? Is it the real deal strain of Durban Poison, or some random african sativa originating from Durban, SA? I don't know, since it's hard to ID a verified, authentic source for the true, real deal Durban poison. They started pre-flowering here in the PNW around the second week of September, so they won't likely finish until late November if I had to guess.

Here's the purple stem pheno that has a bubblegum aroma to it, I really hope the buds on this one color up as well:
48784841657_17ff6f32d4_c.jpg

And I mean PURPLE stems...dark purple!
48784862271_aece0ec7f2_c.jpg

A different plant, no purple coloration so far. Stem rub is really strong and loud, but no resinous leaves to tell what the buds will smell like just yet:
48784679201_16a6e8de4e_c.jpg

camoflauge:
48784862001_0e6407b11f_c.jpg

48784838287_8acfd571da_c.jpg

to be continued....

GRoot

Veteran
There are so many threads across multiple forums regarding Durban poison, and none of them seem to tell the full story.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm starting to get the impression that DP's hybridized and subsequent back crossed version is partially responsible for setting off this whole Durban craze? That would make sense because flowering a 12-16 week sativa is harder to finish than a 10-12 week version. In other words, most people probably have the hybrid version and call it the real deal durban poison. Maybe that is the durban poison everyone is referring to these days? I've also been reading about how everyone is chasing this "anise" pheno, which comes from DP's hybrid version.

While I know Durban Poison was popular decades ago, it recently became a lot more hyped out due to girl scout cookies having it in its pedigree. You even hear about desirable "durban" phenos of GSC, which I thought was GSCxDP, but turns out it's a S1 or S2 sativa leaning pheno of GSC.

CBG's website states their Durban line is from 4 generations of selective breeding, and it reportedly hasn't been crossed with anything (ie. is pure, 100% sativa from Durban, South Africa). I've read somewhere on the forums that this line was acquired from some source in Durban, South Africa, but not all strains originating from Durban, SA are durban poison. It is interesting that they would call this line durban and not durban poison.

In any case, there's one phenotype with purple-red stems, and every last plant has a crazy loud smell when doing a stem rub! The color form individual produced its very first resinous bract, and the smell spot on reminds me of the real deal Indiana Bubblegum! It's unmistakable! African sativas are reportedly racy, and I remember Indiana bubblegum being crazy strong but uncomfortably paranoid-inducing. I hope this durban is a soaring, comfortable, strong sativa, not a racy, crazy-eyed version....

Below is CBG's limited edition Durban, I think beans were acquired in 2017. Crickets best describe the reports on this strain: I haven't seen a complete grow and smoke report on it yet. Anyone have a link? Is it the real deal strain of Durban Poison, or some random african sativa originating from Durban, SA? I don't know, since it's hard to ID a verified, authentic source for the true, real deal Durban poison. They started pre-flowering here in the PNW around the second week of September, so they won't likely finish until late November if I had to guess.

Here's the purple stem pheno that has a bubblegum aroma to it, I really hope the buds on this one color up as well:
View Image

And I mean PURPLE stems...dark purple!
View Image

A different plant, no purple coloration so far. Stem rub is really strong and loud, but no resinous leaves to tell what the buds will smell like just yet:
View Image

camoflauge:
View Image

View Image

to be continued....

I had the same problem as you are finding or thinking. Most of what’s in Durban area of South Africa is tainted with Dutch genes. I have grown Dutch passions version and it was ok but definitely has WLD in it somewhere. I sent my cbg durban to a friend and I’m waiting on results. I looked everywhere for a source of old Durban and after five years searching I found the old SSSC M3 Pinetown Durban. This goes back to the eighties before contamination of Durban area took place. I also have an old mendo Durban a three way durban and some old Kentucky Durban. There are short flower phenos to be found in old Durban but you have to work it. The SSSC M3 I have is at f3 and the guy I got it from has selected towards shorter stouter phenos with shorter flower times. There are true 8-9 weekers in these as well as up to 13+ weekers. I have yet to run the other durbs yet but am looking forward to a few durb runs to include those as well as snowhighs devilts tit and Durban bx. Good luck and just do you know the anise smell/flavor is not a definitive way of determining real durb. Thanks and happy grows, G

Rastafarout

Premium user
420giveaway
Durban weed has been contaminated with other southern African sativas long before the 80's
Also there's never been a "Durban" in that sense
Most( 95 %) of the "Durban" weed came from namely Transkei and Lesotho .
The other neighbouring country Swaziland with the "Swazi"
Further up and most sought after the Malawi gold from Malawi

If you grow the landrace out from each country mentioned ,Swaziland landrace has disappeared though, with every other landrace extremely hot on her heels
You will see taste and feel the similarities ....
But that been said
It's very difficult to find pure southern African landrace sativas ,methinks that the Indian indentured labours reintroduced indica in seed 1800's , Dutch genetics late 80s , then the ongoing California seed Rush.. So lots of contamination all round ,that's why preservation is important , but too late in most in situ cases

But back to Durban poison , it was grown in the drakensburg mountains which is part of Lesotho , and Transkei highlands
The Durban being grown in Durban ( thousand hills area) back then was extremely small amounts so hardly reached a "market" but it was around

The Lesotho first grade was the best "Durban poison" followed by Transkei first grade always small tight bright green with orange hairs , with a strong woody spicy herbal smell
Quick very active high with extreme clarity
They have a varied flower time depending where and how high up they grown , but none shorter then 11wks most 14wks some going on 18wks+ but those are outliers
(The terrior also affects the display of phenotypes)

There are 3 main grades in South Africa -first grade (main buds)
second grade -(popcorn buds and broken leaves dust)
third grade-(bottom dust of all three grades)

Miezzwang only that last photo looks a bit "Durban "
I have "Durban poison " landrace self collected check my IG faroutrasta
Still have t0 figured out how to post Picts proper here ...not that thumbnail shit!
Cool runnings

Night4wings20

I have some TSC Durban Poison '70 coming in the mail (knock on wood they get here). Has anyone tried this line of Durban landrace seeds from TSC first release?

P.S Those plants look great Mwang!

GRoot

Veteran
Beautiful photo Groot. Any distinctive smells coming from her?
I’ve been trying but my nose is ruined as soon as I open the tent.

picture.php

picture.php

With 8 varieties it’s tough to distinguish. I have to pull them out tonight to feed so I will give it a shot.

Brother Mendel recently dropped a limited number of Pre-CAMP 1882 Durban Poison, said to have been sourced from Dready whom received them from Ed Rosenthal.

Rastafarout

Premium user
420giveaway
I would love to know who , or what area exactly ed got them from ? Would help to try pinpoint provenance .....anyone know ?