What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Neem as a Soil Conditioner

Darkbluelight

Hi @OzzieAI.

I intend using Neem as a preventative measure and am still unclear if it needs to be flushed before harvest, and at what time before?

Do you flush before harvest.

i have never noticed any change in flavour whatsoever

the neem oil i use has organic emulsifiers in it already, but others have mentioned using dish soap...

Darkbluelight

Ok, found it. Two weeks before harvest is flush/stop time for drenching with Neem Oil (the pure stuff emulsified, and not the hydro stuff) - as far as I can see. Makes sense anyway.

Hi @OzzieAI.

I intend using Neem as a preventative measure and am still unclear if it needs to be flushed before harvest, and at what time before?

Do you flush before harvest.

Team Microbe

Veteran
Does neem affect the final taste of your flowers when used systemically? I noticed the cycle where I used it heavily (once a week systemically plus once a week foliar) my final taste was terrible. It could have been something else, not saying it wasn't but I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same issues since neem oil isn't completely organic.

Team Microbe

Veteran
The neem I was using was a liquid neem though and not cold-pressed, not sure if this has anything to do with my problems :/

ozzieAI

Veteran
The neem I was using was a liquid neem though and not cold-pressed, not sure if this has anything to do with my problems :/

what brand were you using?

i have never noticed any taste coming from using pure neem oil either foliar or drench

Snype

Veteran
I hope that you can help me. I'm getting ready to start my outdoor crop and I have 360 Cubic Feet of Organic Soil mix that I'm making. I'd like to add Neem Meal to the mix. Can you please tell me what rates I should use? It's Neem Meal not oil.

ozzieAI

Veteran
I'd like to add Neem Meal to the mix. Can you please tell me what rates I should use?

hey ya snype...i generally add a generous handful to each pot...so maybe 360 handfuls...i never measure what i add...sorry...

good luck with the grow....

Monkdawg840

I'd add around a half a cup per large grow hole. It can take some serious neem seed bro, just don't go crazy with it is my advise as well. I top dress it at two tbls per gal pot a month myself or week if I see bugs. But I add it at a cpl cups per 30 gal of coco as well.

Snype

Veteran
I'd add around a half a cup per large grow hole. It can take some serious neem seed bro, just don't go crazy with it is my advise as well. I top dress it at two tbls per gal pot a month myself or week if I see bugs. But I add it at a cpl cups per 30 gal of coco as well.

I'm using 30 Gallon Smart Pots. So I'm assuming that I'll mix 2 cups per smart pot? I hope this is right.

Thats alot of dirt and think needing to premix in all of it is not needed and would take alot of neem meal. Some in the bottom of the grow to start and I would go tbps a gallon for basic recipe if you want as is 5-1-2 for my meal. Some plants may like more. I am now adding in between feedings some in just the top and being I have some in the bottom already there is no need to completely drench unless you want for more nutes. I am making a neem meal tea for my grow and using 300-500 ppm about as young plants can be more sensitive if too much used. I have used now in bloom successfully just mixing 1-2 tblsp in and a little 0-10-0 guano and fish bone meal too and maybe some blood meal. If you notice the meal has a distinctive smell and seems too much of it or any good thing could alter taste etc. I think mine is all organic as in the pic earlier. peace... :tiphat: SR

ozzieAI

Veteran
I'm using 30 Gallon Smart Pots. So I'm assuming that I'll mix 2 cups per smart pot? I hope this is right.

pots that size will probably require 4 cups/pot

Hmong

Veteran
today i topdressed with neem meal and watered my coco pots.
Ec 1,3 pH 5,8. I poured 3L in one 7L smartpot and collected the whole runoff, about 25%
It had EC 2,4 and pH 7,2. I was really pissed, since this would proofe my theory that my neem products increase the Soil pH massively. Remember that Sulfur defficiency I mentioned? surprisingly always occuring after every neem soil drench. I always though that pH is too low, which is not as hard to adjust than otherwise. now lights are out, and i hope to see reactions within the morning. After rethinking everthing a second time while writing this posts, i have the clue that the gravel is the malefactor since marble is calzium carbonate. I used old reused stones which i siftet with a garden screen. I'm such a stupid jackass, i should have washed them again too before topressing. :wallbash:

I am definately getting some mulch today, no risks anymore.

Over 7 ph is not good. I add a little dolomite lime to my teas after done to regulate ph and by using many different nute sources. I also add some oyster flour too. I use Chicken pellets(4-2-3), Blood meal(10-0-0), Fish hydrosolate(2-3-1), Neem meal(5-1-2) and mix variously in teas or dry for grow and early bloom and add some Bat guano(0-10-0), Fish bone meal(3-16-0) and some dr earth dry bloom booster(4-10-7) for bloom, and I add the Bloom booster to the whole mix too. You can keep some Dolomite lime and/or oyster flour constantly in a gallon of water and use for all natural cal mag or quick ph relief. Some say won't work right away but does for me. Add some in whole mix so to just add RO or distilled water. Too many things in tap anymore and don't want in my smoke. 6.5 is good range for soil. Some blood meal can bring it down too if needed. I'll have to check my neem tea ph and get back in couple days. I don't see a need for neem meal(5-1-2) to be used so far into bloom or for pests either with only 4 more weeks till done. Dunks do a good job too. I also don't add Fish Hydrosolate with 4 or so weeks remaining and afraid for taste mostly and think doesn't need at that point anyway. I do add some Bloom booster, Guano and fish bone meal at this point and some blood meal if yellowing too fast, depending on the plants needs for how much. My friends plants are all green still at harvest and taste like it. I do try to get a perfect yellow fad in N at the end and helps with taste and smoothness alot. :tiphat: SR

Last edited:

Monkdawg840

That's about where I'm at. Neem seed meal is stronger than the pressed cake so I'd stay on the low side in case. Neem oil can always be applied too ;)

Hmong

Veteran
my thinking has always been 'it's runoff, it can't affect the plants'...

thats my thinking too, usually i never collect and measure even in Coco. plants tell you whats going on, but in this case i wanted to know if pH is too high or too low.
I am definately changing the topdressing to mulch, since marble is pure dolomite. I shuld have thought on that in the first place.

Latest posts

Latest posts