What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Noreason's extractions

jump117

Veteran
Sorry to interfere, :)
but I can not be indifferent when it comes to extraction with ethanol.

the QWET extraction I did some time ago.

The procedure is the following:

I took 13 gr. of frosty dried flowers and put in a pyrex bowl in the oven at 50/75°C (120-170°F) till the flowers were crunchy enough.
This step should help losing chlorophyll without damaging the resin.

In my opinion for the protection from contamination by chlorophyll flowers do not need to be dry.
Conversely, the more water there is in the tissues of the plant,
the less chance there is of ethanol to dissolve the unwanted components.
Solvent does not get to the places that are already filled with water.
This works even at room temperature, and works more reliably when the water is frozen.

5 minutes gently shaking the bowl and a following filtration

Five minutes of gentle shaking acceptable at room temperature.
For strongly cold ethanol time can be increased considerably.

This time I used a ceramic white plate instead of glass and it was way easier to collect the resin as the incremented contrast of the white was very helpful.

Pleased to know that you share my preference for white versus transparent.
The resin can be seen better on the white glass than on transparent.
I am very convenient to use specially bought for this purpose -
Luminarc Carine White Dinner Plate - 21cm - Tempered glass.

However scratching the oil was an hard work and I need to keep the plate warm to make it easier. It was like 30 minutes or more to collect everything.

When successfully picked temperature resin acquires a viscosity that it can be collected
in one continuous spiral movement so that it forms one solid ingot on the blade.

I grip the blade with three fingers (click) - thumb, index and middle.
I learned that in the early years. Thus corrected errors in the drawings in ink on Whatman paper.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sorry to interfere, :)
but I can not be indifferent when it comes to extraction with ethanol.

That's not interfering jump, that's sharing knowledge and you're more then welcome :)

In my opinion for the protection from contamination by chlorophyll flowers do not need to be dry.
Conversely, the more water there is in the tissues of the plant,
the less chance there is of ethanol to dissolve the unwanted components.
Solvent does not get to the places that are already filled with water.
This works even at room temperature, and works more reliably when the water is frozen.

Let's say I'm still experimenting, so I'm not sure the best is to cook the weed in the oven but the higher temperature should make the weed as it would be stored for more time, degrading the green and make the weed a little more brown.

Do you think it's better to keep the water inside the tissues? It would be even better to use fresh flowers just harvested and placed in the freezer?

Five minutes of gentle shaking acceptable at room temperature.
For strongly cold ethanol time can be increased considerably.

J just stopped shacking when I saw the first green in the solution. Controlling the residual flowers with macros pictures, the heads were almost all gone and the final yield was around 20%. I think it did dissolve almost everything in 5 minutes. ( I used 1\2 liter of alcol).

Pleased to know that you share my preference for white versus transparent.

Absolutely yes! No chance to turn back to transparent after tried the white plate!

The resin can be seen better on the white glass than on transparent.
I am very convenient to use specially bought for this purpose -
Luminarc Carine White Dinner Plate - 21cm - Tempered glass.

Exactly what I need. I'll buy a similar one.

When successfully picked temperature resin acquires a viscosity that it can be collected
in one continuous spiral movement so that it forms one solid ingot on the blade.

I grip the blade with three fingers (click) - thumb, index and middle.
I learned that in the early years. Thus corrected errors in the drawings in ink on Whatman paper.

Gotta give it a try next time. I'll let you know ;)

:wave:

jump117

Veteran
It would be even better to use fresh flowers just harvested and placed in the freezer?
Works fine even without the freezer. :)

I was passionate propagandist of this method until I have opened benefits of technology AA.

Technology of Alcohol Flushing of Fresh Flowers is the fastest way of obtaining a high-quality extract directly from a living vine.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Works fine even without the freezer. :)

I was passionate propagandist of this method until I have opened benefits of technology AA.

Technology of Alcohol Flushing of Fresh Flowers is the fastest way of obtaining a high-quality extract directly from a living vine.

Just read the whole Amber in 15 minutes thread Jump. Next time I'll use fresh frozen flowers I keep in the freezer for such experiments, I think I would obtain a better extract compared to the last one.
Finally, after tying and study for some time I agree with you...fresh is better, it's way more easier to obtain a nice hard and clean extract.

Stay tuned :wave:

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just read the whole Amber in 15 minutes thread Jump. Next time I'll use fresh frozen flowers I keep in the freezer for such experiments, I think I would obtain a better extract compared to the last one.
Finally, after tying and study for some time I agree with you...fresh is better, it's way more easier to obtain a nice hard and clean extract.

Stay tuned :wave:

Fresh frozen flowers produce the most flavorful BHO extracts, in our test panels opinion as well.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Fresh frozen flowers produce the most flavorful BHO extracts, in our test panels opinion as well.

Thanks for the feedback GW, always welcome!

I'm going to do a test side by side between ISO and spirit 95% with fresh frozen exodus cheese flowers tonight.

I should weight the flowers before the extraction and I should expose them to air at ambient temperature.
I think it's not really a problem a little of condensation right? The water or ice should dissolve into ISO and spirit, where it could be a problem if I would use butane, that non dissolve water or ice.

I will submerge flowers for 5 minutes in cold ISO and cold spirit and then filter on 31µm.
Will see the result in some hours from now, stay tuned :wave:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
During the extraction with etOH 95% I noticed it dissolve more chlorophyll than ISO in the same time. The solution looks more green.

Both extraction last 5 minutes and both can't dissolve 100% glands. Observing with macro lens it looks clear that a lot of material is still there.

I just smoked the WQISO and it's very nice. My lungs are happy because there is no cough at all, however aroma is not so concentrated, I feel it lighter but very pleasant the same.

Pictures soon :wave:

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ok, here is the ISO extract after collected on the white plate

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

It is hard at room temperature, so as usual I heated it to melt and stick it to the little glass dish where I usually store extracts.
This is how it looks after:

picture.php

Did you noticed the white path in the oil? Well, that part of the extract is budder. I mean it changed texture and it's not anymore like hard oil. It become almost powder when touched.

I was thinking about the budderizing phenomenon. I usually see it when I take the extract out of the hot bath.
In that moment the extract pass from a hot environment to ambient temperature, with an high temperature excursion.
What happen to a material that is dilated because of the high temperature and then drastically reduce this temperature? Molecules remain trapped in a ''unnatural'' state, something like hardening of a metal.

What do you think about? Is this a possible cause of budderizing? I think I should do a couple of tests.

Last pictures is a part of budderized extract and behind is the oily part of the extract. And it's the same extract...

picture.php

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
And here is the QWET extract.

It is more dark with a hint of red. Very hard at ambient temp and it breaks into hard pieces. Smoking it is something harsher then the QWISO and aroma is very similar.

Not so bad after all, but actually I prefer winterized bho from fresh frozen flowers. Nothing better than it at now.

First pictures: up QWET - down QWISO (Notice the more quantity of the extract is because I used more flowers, I don't care about weight but quality in this test)

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

s4b

I just wanted to say thank you to all the posters...ive been in a lot of forums and usually what i see being posted is never in detail. It seems most posters in other forums just give hints to their tech to make themselves seem special and to garner attention from others when they ask to elaborate...

I respect and admire those who share freely without any qualms whatsoever.
THANK YOU :)

Stony Smurf

Cheers!!

Cheers!!

I am kind of new to the extracts game. I ave been playing around with tubes for a while, but I have never refined. I just posted my current method in the Tamisium thread.

I am trying to get rid of the exact cough you described. It's gotten so bad the GF is threatening to get rid of my nail <grrrr>

I could use some ideas on how to clean it better.

Stony <cough... rattle> Smurf

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am kind of new to the extracts game. I ave been playing around with tubes for a while, but I have never refined. I just posted my current method in the Tamisium thread.

I am trying to get rid of the exact cough you described. It's gotten so bad the GF is threatening to get rid of my nail <grrrr>

I could use some ideas on how to clean it better.

Stony <cough... rattle> Smurf

The only way your lungs can get rid of vaporized wax, is to cough it up and some of the terpenes like Pinene are expectorants.

Are you removing the waxes by winterizing? Our Absolutes are smoother than our raw oleoresins or concretes.

Lastly, I can make almost anyone cough with a heavy enough hit of oil from a nail or skillet. Consider reducing the size of your hit.

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The only way your lungs can get rid of vaporized wax, is to cough it up and some of the terpenes like Pinene are expectorants.

Are you removing the waxes by winterizing? Our Absolutes are smoother than our raw oleoresins or concretes.

Lastly, I can make almost anyone cough with a heavy enough hit of oil from a nail or skillet. Consider reducing the size of your hit.

Great reply GW :yes: I would be happy to cough out some waxes comes from your extracts :biggrin:

Stony, really consider about reducing the dose and raise the number of hits. It helps to stay cough free, but I was asking myself if it could be worse than cough with a bigger hit. I mean, if I cough I'm expelling ''what I do not want in my lungs'' if I do not cough I'm expelling nothing. This should mean those unwanted things that reach my lungs remain there? How much time?

Stony Smurf

lol... Not a noob to toking. I am a long preacher of "take your time, we can smoke all night".

I think there is something I am doing wrong in the process. My batches have not hardened up like amber I am used to seeing. They are a little runny. Not pour-able, but more viscous than it should be. There is a back taste that is like ... grass.. like the smell of wet manicured.

In short, I used a Tamisium, with purified VekTr. Then 190 proof as a transport agent and a mild vacuum until the butane was all out. I used a little more 190 proof and winterized through coffee filters in the freezer 14 hours. Then purged under vacuum (-30 with a Vac-It and a 3cfm 2 stage). I maintained 100F with a laser therm and a water bath in the vacuum.

I should have timed the vacuum.. I went until I became paranoid I was boiling off the good stuff.

Clues to date: One thread said that age of raw product could not be more than 60 days.. mine was well preserved but older... Quantity of ethol/end product.. One thread said about 16ml-35ml/gram.. again, I should have measured.. It was about 2 cups into the freezer. Thickness of my final purge. I should have made more of a consistent film. I am trying to find a good purging container to fit into my vacuum chamber.

So.. There I am now. I am hoping that my purge or filter is capturing too much wax. Is there a better way to remove more wax and leave me shatter?

Stony Smurf

Stony Smurf

So.. There I am now. I am hoping that my purge or filter is capturing too much wax. Is there a better way to remove more wax and leave me shatter?

I mean I am hoping that my purging method is not removing something it should be, such as waxes... the goal is amber shatter.

Stony Smurf

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I mean I am hoping that my purging method is not removing something it should be, such as waxes... the goal is amber shatter.

Stony Smurf

Shattter is the cannabinoids in carboxylic acid form. Age and heat decarboxylate the oil and make it softer.

14 hours is a little short for winterizing. We have continued to precipitate wax up to about 48 hours.

We also get Absolute Amber shatter in a couple of hours running thin film purging under vacuum. You can run longer and turn the shatter into wax, but if you smell the vaccum exhaust or the vacuum pump oil, you will see that the longer you vacuum, the more terpenes are lost.

Stony Smurf

So it is possible that I am smoking more wax than cannabinoids; thus the horrid lung issue.

Perhaps I am missing something in the winterizing process then. Should I then mix with alcohol, then freeze for 24 hours. Then filter through the coffee filter?? I have been mixing, filtering and then freezing. Is this my problem?

I am sure I am having several problems, but the first I must correct is: why vaping (Torch heated nail method) produces a lasting deep lung hack (Not the normal smoker cough, but it feels as though my lungs are really sticky and causes major wheezing. symptoms 70% better 15 hours after smoking).

How are you getting the film thin? it seems to go from watery to sticky very fast? If I try to use a tool to thin it, I wind up with most of the material on the tool.

I am currently trying to get OilSlick to make a evap dish out of their silicone. They do not think there will be enough of a market to make something like that. Please send them an e-mail of interest if anyone out there would like to use something like that instead of crystallizing dishes or pyrex.

Thank you for your help. My next run will be my tops; the last of my saved store until next harvest in 5 weeks (uggg). I really don't want to mess that up.

Stony Smurf

noreason

Natural born Grower
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Perhaps I am missing something in the winterizing process then. Should I then mix with alcohol, then freeze for 24 hours. Then filter through the coffee filter?? I have been mixing, filtering and then freezing. Is this my problem?

Hey SS, with cold you are promoting the waxes to exit from the solution with the solvent, necessary step for the next filtration. So after freeze it for 36/48 hours filter it again. How? There are many way to filter it, one of the easiest is to use a coffe filter.

I am sure I am having several problems, but the first I must correct is: why vaping (Torch heated nail method) produces a lasting deep lung hack (Not the normal smoker cough, but it feels as though my lungs are really sticky and causes major wheezing. symptoms 70% better 15 hours after smoking).

Vaping and smoking use different temperatures. I guess the higher temperature of the combustion, burns the waxes and then they're not the same anymore. Low vaping temperature, evaporates the waxes but the temperature is not enough to burn them, so when they stop on the lungs, make you cough.

:wave:

Stony Smurf

Thanks a lot GW and NR... That all makes perfect sense... I'll redissolve what I have left, freeze and filter.

I cannot wait 'til I have created somethign worth posting <smilE>

Stony Smurf