Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > ICMag Vendor Forums > Seed Boutique > Seed Boutique Vendors > Chimera Genetics / Breeders Retail > old seeds

Thread Title Search
old seeds Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 PM #1
ConnoisseurMan

ConnoisseurMan is on a distinguished road
old seeds

I just got c4, Fighting Buddha,, Sassy frass in the mail and I can't get them to sprout, it's been 14 days for the c4 in paper towels now they are in dirt, this is the 3rd day for the fb and sassy.. I have read about shaking them up in a sandpaper roll. and soaking in a hydrogen peroxide solution but never tried either before. I'm going to do the sand paper thing on all 30 of them and then let them soak in the solution for 10 hours or so then back in paper towels. Does anyone have a better idea? I really want these to work because they are sold out now
ConnoisseurMan is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 09:18 PM #2
NzGreenWhanau

NzGreenWhanau has a spectacular aura aboutNzGreenWhanau has a spectacular aura aboutNzGreenWhanau has a spectacular aura about
Maybe a heat pad aswell?
NzGreenWhanau is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-18-2019, 09:43 PM #3
Hank Hemp

Location: Just South of the Mason/Dixon, away, away down South in Dixieland.
Hank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond reputeHank Hemp has a reputation beyond repute
Or set them on the warm spot on the hot water heater. I use a white wash cloth sprouting seeds.

I luv this flag more than the haters hate it!
God bless Johnny Boone wherever you are.

Not all who wander are lost

I don't care who you are that's deep

You may see me tonight with a illegal smile. J. Prine
Hank Hemp is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 09:57 PM #4
DrDee

DrDee is a jewel in the roughDrDee is a jewel in the roughDrDee is a jewel in the roughDrDee is a jewel in the roughDrDee is a jewel in the roughDrDee is a jewel in the rough
Hi CM,
I've been trying to revive my old seeds for the last three months...with limited success. Some hints that I have received.
1-scarify using sandpaper
2-soak for at least 24 hour with a bit of H2O2 to sterilize surface and include a little humic acid if available.
3-plant in screened starter media...this increses surface contact and improves absorption.
4-warmth after planting

Don't bother with GA3 or other hormonal efforts. Very dose critical and best left to horticultural pros.
Good luck,
JD

PS: Be patient...old seeds take longer.

Last edited by DrDee; 01-18-2019 at 10:04 PM.. Reason: to add info
DrDee is offline Quote

Old 01-18-2019, 10:03 PM #5
positivity

positivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to beholdpositivity is a splendid one to behold
Seeds germination tend to depend a lot on how they were stored. If stored well things like scarification, h202, heat pads, and radiation from light can help increase success rates.
If not stored well or maybe really really old, I haven't figured those out myself
Then you are looking at experimenting with ga3, kno3, dmso, germination bomb, tissue culture, and even smoky water. Think green growth after a fire...
I just leave mine be rather than continue with techniques not working. Eventually something should become available that will work.
positivity is offline Quote

Old 01-19-2019, 10:30 AM #6
Nirrity
taken by samsara

Nirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really niceNirrity is just really nice
i don't remember the exact concentration, but i remember that i mixed 1 ml of 3% h2o2 solution with 19 ml of spring water in 20 ml syringe and let old seeds soak in that solution until they drown when i submerged them with a finger, normally after 12 hours. next step is i cracked them with my nails to make a breach in shell. this requires precision, so do it carefully. then proceed with paper towel.

pre-soaked in h2o2 kills bacteria, but soaking in diluted h2o2 makes oxygen transport inside to help a seed begin its life. i took it from some scientist article where they tested different concentrations on seed sprouting, so it's not my homebrew making)

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-19-2019, 01:15 PM #7
weedobix

weedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really niceweedobix is just really nice
hmm 2 weeks is along time but you never know. would scuff or try and carefully crack

i had some fairly ancient packs of ultimix that germed something like 8/10, i think you can still get some of those packs for next to nothing
weedobix is offline Quote

Old 01-22-2019, 07:28 AM #8
ConnoisseurMan

thanks! i did the sand paper thing and I soaked in the peroxide solution for 8 hours and into paper towels, ill see what happens.

Old 01-22-2019, 07:36 AM #9
ConnoisseurMan

I put them on the water heater also, it is alot warmer there then where I had them. I might try sugar water on a few of them, I've just read about that today.