What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

?

Babbabud

Bodhisattva of the Earth
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Lots of political sites on the internet... not sure why its so important to bring it here.

MrBungle

I don't think anyone wants to take away your freedom of speech.... This place isn't governed by the United States.... or any government for that matter, Its run by a badass bunch of Stoners and Headed by Gypsy Nirvana.... And I admire his willingness to allow people to express themselves in a political manner, but some things that might appeal to a small group within the community, might not be great for the community as a whole...

Hermanthegerman

Know your rights
Veteran
Put ICmag in, instead of Caroline No:tiphat:

Caroline No
The Beach Boys

Where did your long hair go
Where is the girl I used to know
How could you lose that happy glow
Oh, Caroline no
Who took that look away
I remember how you used to say
You'd never change, but that's not true
Oh, Caroline you
Break my heart
I want to go and cry
It's so sad to watch a sweet thing die
Oh, Caroline why
Could I ever find in you again
The things that made me love you so much then
Could we ever bring 'em back once they have gone
Oh, Caroline no

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
Its not a case of bringing it here, its what many members want to shoot the breeze about, so I have allowed it for nearly a year now (political-religious discussion)....ONLY in the Tokers Den, which is just one forum out of so many others that are all cannabis related anyway, and have mixed feelings about 1. Allowing us all just to speak our minds on most any topic (in the Tokers Den).....or 2. Regulating ICMAG as before to be ONLY about cannabis, and only cannabis...Then there is me always thinking that when we are nicely stoned, can't we stay on ICMAG and have a debate, discussion or even an argument about what we agree or disagree with in life? So long as it remains vaguely civil and doesn't end in a shooting match with expletives.....are we not mature enough to discuss things as adults without all the silly infighting and juvenile trolling?...Sometimes I wonder.

Political/Religious themes always seem to get the passions flying with those for and against, those that take one side or another or none at all. But is allowing this 'freedom' on the site actually good for the site? That makes me wonder too.

Does it not divide us and as seems to be expected of everyone these days, does it not try and paint us on one side of the divide or another? If you say something negative about a certain religion then people automatically assume you are of a certain political leaning, and if you say something negative about one political party, people will assume you support the party on the left or right that is opposite to that party......the masses have been socially engineered to be at loggerheads politically and religiously, and rather than discuss and debate various current affairs factually, logically and reasonably, oftentimes they would rather flame and lambast the individual with Ad Hominem attacks. We have seen quite a bit of that, but generally those members engaging in these sort of discussions have mostly kept it civil, and have already covered a multitude of current affairs topics, many of them enjoying the chat/banter/discussion/argument/debate.

I guess that it comes down to whether or not the Tokers Den is a plus or a minus to the site in general....Usually we might have one or two political/religious threads running there for those that wish to partake. Those that don't like it, don't have to partake, or even look at those threads. You only see a thread if you 'click' on it anyway.

Lots of political sites on the internet... not sure why its so important to bring it here.

Last edited:
W

Water-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg29g6D0sPs

Political World
WRITTEN BY: BOB DYLAN

We live in a political world

Love don’t have any place

We’re living in times where men commit crimes

And crime don’t have a face

Icicles hanging down

Wedding bells ring and angels sing

Clouds cover up the ground

Wisdom is thrown into jail

It rots in a cell, is misguided as hell

Leaving no one to pick up a trail

Where mercy walks the plank

Life is in mirrors, death disappears

Up the steps into the nearest bank

Where courage is a thing of the past

Houses are haunted, children are unwanted

The next day could be your last

The one we can see and can feel

But there’s no one to check, it’s all a stacked deck

We all know for sure that it’s real

In the cities of lonesome fear

Little by little you turn in the middle

But you’re never sure why you’re here

Under the microscope

You can travel anywhere and hang yourself there

You always got more than enough rope

Turning and a-thrashing about

As soon as you’re awake, you’re trained to take

What looks like the easy way out

Where peace is not welcome at all

It’s turned away from the door to wander some more

Or put up against the wall

Everything is hers or his

Climb into the frame and shout God’s name

But you’re never sure what it is

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
IMO, the biggest issue with political threads or religious threads is no one today is taught how to argue without becoming emotional charged.

They always devolve into shit shows.

M

moose eater

In my opinion, political or religious discussions have not been the issue. The issue has been adolescent behavior, demeaning attacks lacking in any substance, bashing of others not like the one they're attacking, bullying, presumptuousness that defies anything stated by the other in the conversation, leading to straw-man arguments over things that weren't even said, and more along those lines.

And at times it's been rampant.

It causes persons (and perhaps the site) to appear as childish, ignorant, and hateful.

Nothing about political or religious discussions necessitates such attitudes. A lack of maturity, thoughtfulness or respect brings such things.

The discussion over the last several days in 'The Traitor Within' (yes, I read a bit when I've been waiting for my account to be deleted), has often been handled in a surprisingly respectful adult manner (y'all know who you are, and should be proud; I was impressed, too), bringing a breath of hopefulness re. the abilities of SOME to handle discussion and opposition without throwing cottage cheese and finger-paints on the proverbial walls.

I'm a supporter of free speech. I've been an ACLU board member. As I've told others, I was a proud 1st Amendment supporter when the ACLU stood up for the Nazis to march through Skokie, Ill.

-However-, when someone or some place makes themselves apparent as being disrespectful and more, while I support their free speech, I also support my right to turn my back on them, or "speak with my feet," by moving away from them.

This seems a prime moment to remind myself and others that this is NOT a public site or public turf. It is not Main Street USA, Afghanistan, Oz, or any place else.; it's a privately owned and operated site.

There've been members here who rarely if ever lend help to anyone re. weed-related issues, and who are quick to post mocking memes, presumptuous comments demeaning the other's stance, insults, and biased items that are clearly meant to provoke and advance prejudices of various sorts. Were they my neighbors, I'd look past them as if they were invisible.

Do I expect ICM to ban all bigots, zealots, those who carry phobias they implicitly or overtly demand others share, etc.? No. I don't. But I expect to be able to turn my metaphorical or literal back, or delete my account, as a statement of how I feel or believe about such persons or circumstances.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I would just like to say that I think Donald Trump is a wonderful President. I think he is honest and will always do what is best for the country.

He has shown himself to be honest and trustworthy. He has shown himself to be worthy of representing the people of the United States.

I think President Trump is a wonderful human being.

:)

M

moose eater

You've fished halibut before, have you, ringo?

We call that 'chumming.'

Works for sharks, too. ;^>)

Ringodoggie

Premium user
You catch FISH doing this???

;)

Top definition

chumming
menstruating, the monthly act of vaginal bleeding
Don't go swimming in the ocean when you're chumming.

chumming
The act of dragging one's naked arse accross a floor using only one's arms to move forward. Much like a dog does when it has worms
I did a bit of chumming on Rick's floor last night, picked up a few splinters along the way.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chumming

I thought it was just called 'trolling' LOL

My friends often say, "Don't show Ringo where your goat is tied because he will surely get your goat." LOL

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Here.. I'll take it.

Nobody believes Trump is honest.

Everybody knows he lies constantly, stiffed employees, cheated on his wife and family, blah blah....

Some people just think it's cool.

M

moose eater

You catch FISH doing this???

;)

Top definition

chumming
menstruating, the monthly act of vaginal bleeding
Don't go swimming in the ocean when you're chumming.

chumming
The act of dragging one's naked arse accross a floor using only one's arms to move forward. Much like a dog does when it has worms
I did a bit of chumming on Rick's floor last night, picked up a few splinters along the way.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chumming

I thought it was just called 'trolling' LOL

My friends often say, "Don't show Ringo where your goat is tied because he will surely get your goat." LOL

I know your humor by now, ringo, and, frankly, perhaps as an admission as to how twisted -I- really am, have often appreciated it.

Your posing in one political thread as a Chi-town hooker (you -were- posing, right??) lacking a place to park your gun if you had one, was a classic. Still brings a smile. :biggrin:

Yeah, our 'chumming' occurs when you anchor up or drift without power, and throw gobs of bait fish over-board into the water, creating a scent trail straight to your locale. Halibut, salmon shark, etc. Works like a charm.

'Trolling' (unless for deep-water lake trout, or down south, for walleye; both of which are best trolled for in the summer months), simply burns too much fuel. Or, in the case of an internet site, too much energy.

Take care. :tiphat:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Your posing in one political thread as a Chi-town hooker (you -were- posing, right??) lacking a place to park your gun if you had one, was a classic. Still brings a smile. :biggrin:

Damn, I forgot all about that one. LOL I have indeed, been many things. Gotta love the internet.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Here.. I'll take it.

Nobody believes Trump is honest.

Everybody knows he lies constantly, stiffed employees, cheated on his wife and family, blah blah....

Some people just think it's cool.

YOU FUCKER!!! I'LL KILL YOU!!!!!! I'LL KILL YOUR ENTIRE NEIGHBORHOOD AND WIPE OUT YOUR FAMILY TREE. YOU ARE A FUCKING IDIOT WHO DOESN'T KNOW SHIT. FUCKING MORON...

OK, thanks. NOW, we have an official ICMag political thread. Whew, I was getting a little worried.

Thanks again

insomniac_AU

Its not a case of bringing it here, its what many members want to shoot the breeze about..
Is it many though?

...are we not mature enough to discuss things as adults without all the silly infighting and juvenile trolling?...Sometimes I wonder.
That would be wonderful. The problem is they nearly all descend into slinging matches between the same handful of people. The same people are generally nowhere to be seen in other cannabis related threads.
But is allowing this 'freedom' on the site actually good for the site? That makes me wonder too.
Me too.
Does it not divide us and as seems to be expected of everyone these days, does it not try and paint us on one side of the divide or another?.....the masses have been socially engineered to be at loggerheads politically and religiously...
Isn't that the truth. Call me cynical but it seems that things have been set up this way because divided people are easier to control than united people. I don't want to play that game.
It's completely up to you what you do, obviously this is your baby. I avoid these threads anyway but when I see intelligent insightful members like Moose Eater looking for the door I feel something should be said.

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
It is kinda difficult to have an open forum and not attract the bad with the good. We are mostly inebriated in some way or another, and that can lead to members posting all sorts of sometimes - rarely inspiring stuff....Yeah it can be a well thought out and presented post with intrinsic value and wisdom, there again it could be some brain-fart of a burned-out stoner that 4 hours later he would be embarrassed that he posted such piffle...

As always on an open forum, you have to take the rough with the smooth, and hope that you end up with a useful and valid thread.....to someone. Often we do get some great posts/threads, and its worth wading thru the not so good to find them. ICMAG is still quite well moderated, so spam/trolling and flaming are usually dealt with in good time.

Keep in mind that we have members from 18 years old to 80, maybe older or even younger, its difficult to actually know that.

Someone mentioned it earlier about there not being a totally enforceable 'etiquette' to follow. We do have a Terms of Use for the site, but that doesn't dictate the substance of a post or thread, or the way a thread might go, so we do need to keep our eyes on whats being said.....and try and moderate it if it gets beyond the pale.

Of course, you have a right to complain if the site doesn't quite meet you're standards, and come and go as you please, there is no contract that needs to be broken or adjusted or duties paid...

We can never be everything to everybody.

*Its a community, and some need more care than others.

:woohoo::woohoo:
In my opinion, political or religious discussions have not been the issue. The issue has been adolescent behavior, demeaning attacks lacking in any substance, bashing of others not like the one they're attacking, bullying, presumptuousness that defies anything stated by the other in the conversation, leading to straw-man arguments over things that weren't even said, and more along those lines.

And at times it's been rampant.

It causes persons (and perhaps the site) to appear as childish, ignorant, and hateful.

Nothing about political or religious discussions necessitates such attitudes. A lack of maturity, thoughtfulness or respect brings such things.

The discussion over the last several days in 'The Traitor Within' (yes, I read a bit when I've been waiting for my account to be deleted), has often been handled in a surprisingly respectful adult manner (y'all know who you are, and should be proud; I was impressed, too), bringing a breath of hopefulness re. the abilities of SOME to handle discussion and opposition without throwing cottage cheese and finger-paints on the proverbial walls.

I'm a supporter of free speech. I've been an ACLU board member. As I've told others, I was a proud 1st Amendment supporter when the ACLU stood up for the Nazis to march through Skokie, Ill.

-However-, when someone or some place makes themselves apparent as being disrespectful and more, while I support their free speech, I also support my right to turn my back on them, or "speak with my feet," by moving away from them.

This seems a prime moment to remind myself and others that this is NOT a public site or public turf. It is not Main Street USA, Afghanistan, Oz, or any place else.; it's a privately owned and operated site.

There've been members here who rarely if ever lend help to anyone re. weed-related issues, and who are quick to post mocking memes, presumptuous comments demeaning the other's stance, insults, and biased items that are clearly meant to provoke and advance prejudices of various sorts. Were they my neighbors, I'd look past them as if they were invisible.

Do I expect ICM to ban all bigots, zealots, those who carry phobias they implicitly or overtly demand others share, etc.? No. I don't. But I expect to be able to turn my metaphorical or literal back, or delete my account, as a statement of how I feel or believe about such persons or circumstances.

Last edited:

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You may not vote on any more threads today. [/FONT]

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts