What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sam_Skunkman's dry sift method

G

I personally love dry sift, it's high is immediate, rushing, and cerebral, however, having said that it is NOT as potent as budder/bho.
I know some don't like the terpene loss/alteration associated with budder/bho, but there are a lot of false negative connontation associated with these products,
I am myself currently conducting experiments trying to find the next great product, I am using THE most potent MJ product on the planet as a base (budder/bho), adding dry sift and bubblehash in varying ratios to attempt to find the perfect balance. What I find most difficult is the guesswork that goes into it, with no laboratory access, I find that my results are left to subjection, if I had measurable baselines to go from I would better be able to make decisions on what is causing what, in my findings (I am a stoner, after all).

peace and good smoking - The Unknown Grower (Tug)

C

Chamba

I personally love dry sift, it's high is immediate, rushing, and cerebral, however, having said that it is NOT as potent as budder/bho.

true......but are you using a single mesh screen..or....several mesh screens? ..as there's a big difference...

personally I think that anyone who thinks well made dry sift is not strong enough has a tolerance to so high that they need to take a day, a week or a month off from THC to really appreciate it again...the lower your tolerance is, the greater you will really appreaciate the subtle effects of cannabis as you go from clean as to buzzed off your head soaring from jsut a fe tokes, ....the more you smoke, the higher your tolerance becomes, the less high you get, the less you enjoy and appreciate cannabis....I get higher from a little skinny joint of bud once a day than I do when I chain smoke fat joints full of bud and triple sifted kif all day long.,,respect cannabis and learn how to use and enjoy it .....or smoke heaps, don't get high, just zonked and just waste it

[

Last edited:
G

Chamba said:

true......but are you using a single mesh screen..or....several mesh screens? ..as there's a big difference...

--I admit my dry sift experience is limited, I am using a single screen.--

personally I think that anyone who thinks well made dry sift is not strong enough has a tolerance to so high that they need to take a day, a week or a month off from THC to really appreciate it again...the lower your tolerance is, the greater you will really appreaciate the subtle effects of cannabis as you go from clean as to buzzed off your head soaring from jsut a fe tokes, ....the more you smoke, the higher your tolerance becomes, the less high you get, the less you enjoy and appreciate cannabis....I get higher from a little skinny joint of bud once a day than I do when I chain smoke fat joints full of bud and triple sifted kif all day long.,,respect cannabis and learn how to use and enjoy it .....or smoke heaps, don't get high, just zonked and just waste it

--Yes, my tolerance was huge, and you are correct. I find that after a week or month of not smoking, even weed gets me ripped, and wasn't paying enough attention at that point to truly appreciate the stone, just how high I got.--

I am myself currently conducting experiments trying to find the next great product,

I'm not a fan of butane extracts......no one is denying it is potent....but to me it's about as attractive as screwing a tumorous android with a short curcuit on a leaky waterbed full of gasoline ......the few times I've smoked butane extracts it has given me a strong, foggy, druggy high..i didn't enjoy it at all...it reminds me of smoking a joint while sitting on a chimney of a petro-chemical plant........while the high from ice hash is all altitude with nothing underneath it - I find it unfullfilling......and at the risk of sounding repetative, dry sift has a complexity (a roundness, fullness, completeness) to the high that is missing from ice hash or petro-chemo butane extracts...with ice hash something has been taken away..with butane something has been added......give me a natural, safe, easy & fast to make and a complete purified form of cannabis for special occasions!

--This sounds like great advice, and I will try this when I start smoking again, paying more attention to thse finer aspects, thank you.--

I found a good mix is to lightly and gently dry sift the material over several screens ...set this aside...then ice hash the plant material to reap the rest of the trichomes ...when the ice hash has dried, combine with the dry sifted kif ....a good ratio is 50-50....but any ratio with 20%+ of either works!..the ice hash adds altitude and potency while the dry sift adds flavour and complexity to the high ..you should start a thread on this subject to post your results!

Sorry for the confusing posting, there are fresh words in that quote above.

I will, great ideas, I will try seperately, then add in my own mixes (with and without budder), and see.
I know SamtS has great knowledge, and I think you must too (obviously), so I will take your suggestions to heart.
As I get older, the amount of high matters less, and the quality of high more, so I will start paying more attention.
Thanks for taking the time to explain, I look forward to hearing more from you, and Sam (I always treasued his posts at OG).

peace - Tug

Last edited:

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
T.U.G.,
The only reason the dry sift is not better is because it is not as strong in THC as the water sift. If the dry sift and the water extract are made with the same clone, and to the same THC% then the dry sift will be stronger. I know because I have a GC and have done the tests.
Saying that, unless you have dry sift of very high quality the water sift or oil will be stronger then the dry sift. I can make stronger dry sift from anyones clone that is stronger then any water made hash from the same clone. Believe me.
-SamS

Last edited:

Diego

That would be nice to have dry sieve at 50 percent plus, imagine hash that doesnt have to dry, granted bubblehash is the best I have smoked. But id imagine that a good dry sift would kick your head in just as well. Itd be like already cured hash almost. Needless to say itd be well worth a try if it is possible and I'd imagine a lot of people would want it. I would.

guineapig

Veteran
Thank you Sam for all your research into dry-sieving methods and skuff....

:ying: your perpetual pal guineapig :ying:

SativaBelieva

Sam_Skunkman said:
I can make stronger dry sift from anyones clone that is stronger then any water made hash from the same clone. Believe me.
-SamS

Believas like to know how to make hash like you do... hoping you would reveal some of your secrets... and give us an hint into the right direction...
SB

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
i would imagine that a combination of vibration, suction and static electricity combined with multiple screens, will be the way to do it. just don't ask me how to incorporate all that in a machine, lol. even better would be if you could incorporate the carding into it too. it would be easier to make a purification system rather than an all in one contraption. it would be cool if Sam_Skunkmans system came out soon, as i'm very curious. but i'm happy to wait till it is perfected. that's only wise. i can just hear the screams if it was in anyway unfinished before it came out.

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
I had the chance to smoke some of sams dry sift and I'm a believer
anyone that knows me knows I smoke heavy indica first thing in the morning for kicks
sam put some sift into a joint I was rolling, it took me 2 hours to smoke it and 4 to recover from it
the flavour was hard to describe but is certainly was different to say bubble or normal dry sift

hey Sam if your in town drop buy

OP

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
Hashmasta-Kut said:

end of story :D

<<<

what story is that?

Hashmasta-Kut said:
btw chamba, you know when i was making 50 percent pure dry sift? over 15 yrs ago. i got tired of it.

so what's your poison now days then? or do you mean you now smoke even more powerful dry sift then 50%thc? must be good to replace that stuff, eh?

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
i use my trim for sift, and my buds for oil.

the end of chambas story, he was starting about me one post before mine.

Hashmasta-Kut

honey oil addict
Veteran
oldpink said:
I had the chance to smoke some of sams dry sift and I'm a believer
anyone that knows me knows I smoke heavy indica first thing in the morning for kicks
sam put some sift into a joint I was rolling, it took me 2 hours to smoke it and 4 to recover from it
the flavour was hard to describe but is certainly was different to say bubble or normal dry sift

hey Sam if your in town drop buy

OP

ya OP so he has the bomb strain! reeferman said recently he was highly impressed by sams herb too. i have said this for years and years, that the plant you make the hash from is WAY MORE IMPORTANT than the purity of the hash. shitty purity hash from the old primo skunk (roadkill clone from 1980) was pretty much stronger than any other hash around, no matter how purely made. make the skunk hash super pure then you have something as impressive as what you had, OP. :)

oldpink

Un - Retired,
Administrator
Veteran
Oh I totally agree some strains make better hash / sift / bubble than others do
I feel some strains are better suited to making hash than others
it also depends on the grower and the method of grow so theres a lot of things that influence the final product
at the 4:20 cup in 2004 I seen 3 ECSD entry's from the same genetics grown by different people
and all 3 had slight differences in taste, smell and look
maybe like a fine wine some crops from the same source will be better than others
even in the most controlled growroom conditions, I hope so as this means every hit will be different
in its own way

OP

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
ive had ideas/thaughts of a self dry sieve machine and was almost done building one when i just scrapped the whole project. i think a good dry sieve hash is just as good as anything else if done right.

Latest posts

Latest posts