What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The hemp seed hub: A thread for those who seek seeds and infos on hemp

Azaghal

Veteran
Here are some pictures of different seed samples of Slovakia,Argentina,North Korea, Georgia and China

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran

Azaghal

Veteran
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Nice selection!
Did you send the material transfer agreement by post or does it also work in electronic form?
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Thanks Only Ornamental, :tiphat:

They have really quite an interesting collection of Cannabis accessions and also many different other crop samples from around the world.
Moreover I would like to point out that they also seem to have accessions of what I would consider more of an " indica " or Broad Leaf Drug (BLD) variety rather than a Narrow Leaf Hemp (NLH) variety.
They classify them in their system as Cannabis sp. and not like the rest as Cannabis sativa or Cannabis sativa subsp. sativa.
These samples are from Turkey (CAN 64 and CAN 47 ) and Syria
( CAN 57 ).

But I also might be totally wrong with this assumption.:biggrin:
At least these countrys are or were know to produce hashish,
but you can produce hashish with every Cannabis variety which produce enough trichomes/Cannabinoides inside these to be valuable.

Grew the syrian variety a couple of years ago but had to remove it due space problems. They looked quite distinct in leave shape
( pretty serrated ) and were also quite branchy, hence the space problems.
Also grew the Argentinian variety and it delivered pink pistils and and big calyxes with an overall branchy and not to tall structure , therefore I would assume it is a strain used for both fibre and seeds.

Hope it helps
Az

Last edited:

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Thanks Only Ornamental, :tiphat:

Indeed the material transfer agreement works the digital way. If I remember correctly you only have to hit the "accept" button. The ordering itself also works in an easy step-by-step way.

The IPK Gatersleben has really quite an interesting collection of Cannabis accessions and also many different other crop samples from around the world.
Moreover I would like to point out that they also seem to have accessions of what I would consider more of an " indica " or Broad Leaf Drug (BLD) variety rather than a Narrow Leaf Hemp (NLH) variety.
They classify them in their system as Cannabis sp. and not like the rest as Cannabis sativa or Cannabis sativa subsp. sativa.
These samples are from Turkey (CAN 64 and CAN 47 ) and Syria
( CAN 57 ).

http://gbis.ipk-gatersleben.de/GBIS...Dn5Q!-549215130!1405605994919?autoScroll=0,13

But I also might be totally wrong with this assumption.:biggrin:
At least these countrys are or were know to produce hashish,
but you can produce hashish with every Cannabis variety which produce enough trichomes/Cannabinoides inside these to be valuable.

Grew the syrian variety a couple of years ago but had to remove it due space problems. They looked quite distinct in leave shape
( pretty serrated ) and were also quite branchy, hence the space problems.
Also grew the Argentinian variety and it delivered pink pistils and and big calyxes with an overall branchy and not to tall structure , therefore I would assume it is a strain used for both fibre and seeds.

Hope it helps
Az
Thanks!
Just ordered some from Slovakia, Korea, Georgia, Syria, and an ornamental form called 'Gelb'. Will order a dozen more in the days to come. Attached is a .pdf with some selected varieties and the limited information I could find about them.
I don't think that the sp. is a masked C. indica, though. There are quite a few accessions called Cannabis sp. which are obviously C. sativa subsp. sativa (I think one of which is even a modern monoecious cultivar). Though you may be right with the Syrian variety... we'll see :) .

Attachments

• Accessions IPK.pdf
    78 KB · Views: 41

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
More info on chinese varieties?

I bought a bag of big chinese seeds a few years ago, before the finola boom. Nowadays we have enough domestic suppliers and therefore not much, if any seeds are being imported.

Anyways this variety seems dioecious and I crossed it with finola to have a better look outdoors next summer.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Looking forward seeing your cross!

From what I understand from the infos on the Yunnan Industrial Hemp Inc. homepage, given it's true, they are the one and only to produce registered hemp varieties. Now I wonder if all the Chinese exports at least to the EU come from one of the four varieties they offer.
Unfortunately, I don't speak Chinese or I would have contacted, just out of curiosity, the Yunnan Academy of Agricultural Sciences for some infos and maybe samples of Chinese varieties...

St. Phatty

One of the reasons hemp grows the way it does is, the way it is planted. Very densely, a plant every 3 inches.

I sometimes get lazy and try to break a stem. Sometimes I end up with these strands of fiber that are fvckin STRONG. It makes me wonder if even some of the medicinal strains have use making fiber.

oldchuck

Veteran
Yes, drug varieties can make excellent fiber. I've done some primitive fiber processing with dope strains and found it almost impossible to snap a very thin strand of bast fiber with my hands. It is the toughest plant fiber I've ever run across. Not all hemp makes good fiber though. Finola, a seed hemp, grows short with relatively weak stems. An important aspect of fiber hemp is long internode distance, the longer the better. Close spacing is an aspect of hemp farming but some varieties will grow with minimal branching even if grown in the open. The difference between "hemp" and "marijuana" is, in my opinion, mainly political.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Here is another Chinese with an orange aroma

2955100707_66ff4814da_z.jpg

USO-31 at the front and Chinese at the back

2799195967_01e471c92f_o.jpg

Keep on growing :)

Only Ornamental

Veteran
Just found out that the Italians are trying to get approval for their 'Ermes' hemp variety.
The strange thing is not, that this variety has been obtained from one single 'Fibranova' plant. And it's not the fact that the 'Ermes' variety is monoecious although the parent variety is dioecious.
No, 'Ermes' has the webbed leaf trait! Although webbed leaves or even the single leaf mutation is known to appear now and than in Italian varieties, I've got to find a source for that one! :)
Link 1 and Link 2

L

Luther Burbank

The largest seed food varieties I've seen were Chinese. The Europeans might have the fiber market cornered but I think we should be looking to China for developing our own seed varieties.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
The largest seed food varieties I've seen were Chinese. The Europeans might have the fiber market cornered but I think we should be looking to China for developing our own seed varieties.
Or to Slovakia (see PM) ;) .
Unfortunately, the Chinese seeds I've seen so far weren't that big...

L

Luther Burbank

2DWVzWn.jpg

"Figure 32. Cannabis seeds vary greatly in size. Average sized 'Novisadska' seeds (left) are typical of narrow-leaf hemp (NLH) cultivars. Chinese broad-leaf hemp (BLH) snack seeds (top right) were selected for large size making them easier to "shell" and eat. Feral seeds (bottom) such as these from Tai Shan Mountain (LB's note - shan means mountain, so Tai Mountain or Tai Shan, but never both) in Shandong province, China, are very small and dark colored."

Apologies if a bit large, and for the crookedness. From Clarke & Merlin's "Cannabis: evolution and ethnobotany", pp 200. I absolutely love the feral seeds nesting inside the "snack seed" shell.

Only Ornamental

Veteran
The same recurrent photo... I still love it, mind! But who in recent years has seen such big seeds?

KiefSweat

Veteran
The Chinese hemp patch I saw grown out here last summer came from some rather large seed. The plants where a good 12-15 foot tall too.

Latest posts

Latest posts