What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

ROOTED clones in refrigerator stasis

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Shit...
I'm gonna go get a few cuts & try this myself...

What, exactly, did you do to prep your cuts, TrippleDraw?

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You cant keep em in the freezer, people keep em in the crisper in the fridge...
I have seen frost damaged clones, it aint pretty...
Ever see your garden after the first frost?

Slipnot

Got to love this my god in the freezer technique lol nah i wouldnt waste my time trying it with the shitiest strain known to man the clone will die let alone sticking a full grown plant in a freezer one thing is plant getting frost but its root system is in warmth they will survive
A mature plant not clone talking a well rooted plant could survive longer but it would need sun light

The coldest my plants ever seen was - 12 degrees over night it survived in morning i was like Fuck me shes done but once the sun came out and temps warmed up so did plant it carried on doing her thing ..
but a clone weak as newly rooted clone you sneeze on the dam thing and it could die let alone sticking it in the Freezer

Agreed Bull shit :biggrin:

T

Timm

This shit works. First time they all died but the next time round I kept them in a solid food container inside a freezer bag so they don't spoil. It's been almost 7 weeks now and they all look good I tried to root a couple of them out of curiosity and they all rooted in 1 week or less.

bigbadbiddy

Lol this is insane.

That changes the game, for me at least.

I want to cut backup clones for future selection and was always stymied by the problem of having them rooted before I send their parents into flower.

My problem is when I harvest the parents, they will already be quite big and I have to prune them so they don't grow too large as they are just backups.
Pruning can lead to stress and plants dying though so I though I will just have to take 2 backup clones so I have 1 I can prune and the other won't be pruned until the first one propped itself back up.
Even after all this, I would still have to dry and ferment then test the mothers before I could make a selection.
I would assume that I would have to prune the backup clones a second time before I can conclude my selection.

This method (freezing) changes everything.
I could just take several cuts per plant and freeze them, make my selection and then pull the selected cuts from the freezer and root them.

No more pruning, no light, soil, water, nutes, pots being occupied by plants that might be culled after all.

Love it, will definitely try!

mule420

Freezing will kill them! Stay tuned I'm going to do this, I will post pictures of the process. I have two different freezers and multiple strains. It will fail and I'm going to prove it! The cuts will be taken Sunday frozen for 3 days and brought back out to thaw and try and revive. They will end up like frozen lettuce mushy and dead... I'm impartial to tests but this ones gonna be busted...

ictiv

Freezing will kill them! Stay tuned I'm going to do this, I will post pictures of the process. I have two different freezers and multiple strains. It will fail and I'm going to prove it! The cuts will be taken Sunday frozen for 3 days and brought back out to thaw and try and revive. They will end up like frozen lettuce mushy and dead... I'm impartial to tests but this ones gonna be busted...

So where are the proof?:laughing:

seeded

Getting cuts to root after being frozen is impossible. I've tried pretty much every idea from reducing water content, vacuum sealing, putting inside 50 layers of plastic, storing with oxygen absorbers, etc. basically anything I could come up with and it always resulted in mush.

Personally I think the future lies with tissue cultures as they take forever to go from a handful of cells to a miniature plant that could fill a coke can at the best of times. If you went into it trying to slow them down to a snails pace and gradually put them in larger containers as needed you could fit an absurd amount of plants in the smallest of places for a very long time and then once they get a little too big a quick trim to get them back to size can turn one plant into a thousand. It's not quite living the set and forget dream of freezing a cut in time but it's probably about as close as you're likely to ever get.

Ya I'm a salty old fuck, gotta agree with ya there. I wouldn't have said shit about this if I didn't live in natures freezer. I'm a fucking expert on what freezing does to every object on earth including my body, luckily I've only lost skin turning black and falling off.:biggrin: In living things freezing means the liquid in each cell freezes and bursts the cell walls. No exception unless the living thing produces antifreeze. Even some trees up here start cracking and bursting open at 50 to 60 below. I've had to move marijuana plants a few times for security and 15 minutes at 30 below kills them dead. After finding males sometimes in winter I stick them out on the porch to see how long they last, It ain't very long.:biggrin: I guess you found some marijuana strains that make antifreeze to prevent their cell walls from bursting so I apologize for calling BS:tiphat:

Can you do a video of that? I'd really like to see it haha

Havvood

:laughing: maybe if you try Today add a sprinkle of holy water and check Easter morning

Dro Smoe

:bump:

Anybody else give this freezing technique a shot yet? Sounds contrary to everything that I know, but it would be one hell of a game changer..

gaiusmarius

me
Veteran
so what about if we add a bit of antifreeze to a cup of water stick the freshly cut clones in there for 30 mins, then try freezing and defrosting etc?

Not to be off topic but certain root vegetables/spices from Equatorial Asia like Turmeric and Ginger usually bought from Asian markets stateside can be frozen and regrown again most Turmeric is not grown in the states as far as i know and is shipped frozen....

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Clay pot is turmeric black pot was a male that got clucked....both were used as potential compost first time experiment type thing....

meizzwang

Okay, for sure the freezer thing is total BS, but some cannabis strains can take light frost under the right circumstances. Here's punto rojo that got a bit frozen:
32239388965_167929d19e_k.jpg

And then hours later it was totally fine:
31429247543_c312bf5be5_k.jpg

To increase freeze tolerance, increase P and K and leach out nitrogen to slow down growth. Slower growth leads to tougher, more lignified tissue. When you increase P and K, this raises the solute concentration in some of the plant tissues without significantly increasing the growth rate, which therefore lowers the temperature needed to actually freeze the tissues.

I'd expect if this frost lasted more than a few hours, it would eventually kill the plant. Some cannabis strains are more resilient than others.

Latest posts

Latest posts