What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

full melt dry sift tutorial/discussion

EsterEssence

Veteran
I use a 110 to collect the kief, and a 195 to clean it up. The mesh size has everything to do with cleaning up the kief. My screens are aluminum and work fine. When first collecting the kief to separate tumbling for a very short time the kief falls through the 110, you could also use a 5 gallon or smaller bucket with a piece of loose screen stretch it over the top put in your trim bud whatever, just make sure it is really dry and gently shake it to collect the kief. if you card or put pressure on the trim you push unwanted particles through the screen. Try varying the amount of kief you put on the 195 before you gently rub it with the parchment paper...

RB56

Veteran
It doesn't work using the sizes and method I shared on here for *free*?

Really?
Never said anything like that. You yourself said you recommended a solution you knew to be sub-par to protect potential future commerce. At the time you presented your recommendation as the result of extensive experimentation and experience. Difficult to reconcile the two.

I considered getting some different mesh sizes to test but have not done so because you explicitly stated that you had already done it and 86 and 61 gave the best results. Led me to waste time changing other factors in an effort to improve results.

Seems crazy that you're willing to compromise your credibility when starting a business. I can promise you that at least one person who would have been an enthusiastic supporter is no longer so. I'd be concerned if you had my name and address at this point. Open and straightforward wins the day in the Internet age.

Not a bid deal in the scheme of things.

Never said anything like that. You yourself said you recommended a solution you knew to be sub-par to protect potential future commerce. At the time you presented your recommendation as the result of extensive experimentation and experience. Difficult to reconcile the two.

And like I said in the PM I sent you, I was also being told "i'm going to sell this myself, thanks" by at least one or two other people. Am I supposed to let those people run with my method on their own while I get the big giant shaft? Seems that's what you believe.. thanks for that.

I considered getting some different mesh sizes to test but have not done so because you explicitly stated that you had already done it and 86 and 61 gave the best results. Led me to waste time changing other factors in an effort to improve results.

Oh I get it, i'm not allowed to improve my own method/products? Good to know.. At the time I posted that, last August, those were the sizes I was using basically everytime. I have since had my own made for me. Don't like that? Tough shit. Start your own business and see how much fun you have dealing with people who do nothing but complain, even after being handed incredible details for FREE.

Better yet? Come up with your own method that works better so we can all bitch at you when it doesn't work 100% the same as some other person in another country, on a different continent, in a different weather pattern, with different genetics, with every different variable possible going on, who has been doing it for 12 years straight now. I'm sure we'll all wait anxiously for that to happen.

I suppose it's also my fault that you wasted time trying things w/o posting here about them to inquire? I had tried *many* different sizes, you are right.. and that's why I recently decided to have my own made for -my method- the way I believed they should be. I couldn't find anything retail that was what I wanted, hence having tried what was available.

Ever wonder if it's you? Everyone else got great results?

Seems crazy that you're willing to compromise your credibility when starting a business. I can promise you that at least one person who would have been an enthusiastic supporter is no longer so. I'd be concerned if you had my name and address at this point. Open and straightforward wins the day in the Internet age.

Cool, post up the best family recipes you have for us. I wanna go make them and open a restaurant and get rich off your ideas/time/years vested in creating these items. If you don't, i'm going to give you shit for hoarding it from the community.

Not a bid deal in the scheme of things.

If you opened a business you wouldn't go telling everyone your patents and secrets 'for fun' LOL.

But i'm glad you admitted my tek worked, yet are still bitching.

Makes sense.

Last edited:

mofeta

Veteran
The nylon should be acting as an insulator preventing the flow of electrons to/from the aluminum frame, so it is unlikely to make much of a difference.

Hi Daub

I suggest you devote a little time to the study of electrostatic phenomena.

Compare and contrast static electrical charges with flowing current.

Important Terms:

Triboelectric Charging Series

Electrostatic Induction

It is not difficult, but I've noticed that while most students grasp current electricity pretty easily (it is intuitive), static surface charges need a little more effort to understand.

Daub Marley

Hi Daub

I suggest you devote a little time to the study of electrostatic phenomena.

Compare and contrast static electrical charges with flowing current.

Important Terms:

Triboelectric Charging Series

Electrostatic Induction

It is not difficult, but I've noticed that while most students grasp current electricity pretty easily (it is intuitive), static surface charges need a little more effort to understand.
Did I misunderstand/misstate something? Or are you just pointing me in the right direction?

mofeta

Veteran
Both, but mainly pointing.

The nylon should be acting as an insulator preventing the flow of electrons to/from the aluminum frame,

Being a conductor of current is one thing.

Being a non-conductor with a surface charge is another thing.

The potential builds up, no flow, no current, just potential voltage, on the surface of the non-conductive nylon. Contact with a conductor (aluminum frame) provides a pathway for this static (not moving) potential to be realized as current flowing through the conductor to ground/earth from the surface of the non-conductor hosting the charge on its surface. Hence the significance of the cardboard, and the use of non-conductive brush.

Now it may be that none of these things is critical to this process, but as I don't fully understand what is going on with it yet, I would advise trying to replicate the process exactly, especially when it comes to details involving variable elements that have a bearing on the formation and dissipation of static electrical charges.

Just as a general tip to anyone, not just you in particular, I have found that the study of simple electronic (in addition to electrical) circuits for some practical goal is a great way to learn about electricity. In my case, I studied how to make tube (valve) guitar amplifiers. It was very rewarding, I learned a lot.

mofeta

Veteran
Hi DSW

I think that is a good idea. If I were you I would look at the video (the one he originally posted) very carefully with the sound off. Pay close attention to all contact with any part of the rig, mindful of any action, however slight, that might either build a charge (rubbing, brushing, etc- triboelectric phenomena) or discharge (by providing a route to ground for example).

The order in which the individual sub-operations are carried out may also be critical.

The metal frame may be very important, didn't you and some other people mention liking wood for your method? Because there was a tendency for the aluminum to develop a static charge, that could be discharged with a t-shirt or something but was still a pain in the ass?

Hi DSW

I think that is a good idea. If I were you I would look at the video (the one he originally posted) very carefully with the sound off. Pay close attention to all contact with any part of the rig, mindful of any action, however slight, that might either build a charge (rubbing, brushing, etc- triboelectric phenomena) or discharge (by providing a route to ground for example).

The order in which the individual sub-operations are carried out may also be critical.

The metal frame may be very important, didn't you and some other people mention liking wood for your method? Because there was a tendency for the aluminum to develop a static charge, that could be discharged with a t-shirt or something but was still a pain in the ass?

Naw.. I just use cotton tshirts to clean my screens because it doesn't create much static. Some have used boxers and other items but god only knows what kinda charges those introduce..

I've used the same method for years.. cotton tshirt.. blank.. or inside out if it had logos.. quick and in a low Rh room.

You'll be fine.

today i took an old bag of dry sift that had been sitting around for a few months because it was super low quality and not worthy of smoking and made this nice little canolli. what do ya know! http://www.pictureshack.us/images/95038_DSCN1043.JPG

ive had good success with everything ive tried as a card but i haven't gotten a chance to use anything metal so i dont know if that works or not.

when working on the screen im standing on a carpet.. and the screen is sitting on cardboard.

something to think about...after scrapping the sift back into a pile is when the most gets stuck to the parchment .. i dont know if this is because A) it got refluffed while getting piled back up and before that it was settled down in the screen or B) because i charged it with the brush while scraping it back into a pile again...

also if you wanna try bubblemans balloon trick prior to scraping up your pile and you dont have any balloons around a ziplock will do the trick

would be nice if we could round up a couple of the big dogs to jump on board here and start experimenting.

I've tried lol. Maybe it's cuz i'm in Cali and the environment is different?

Honestly it shouldn't matter to an extent though.. once it's on the screen/frame.. everything else should be isolated from it. If the method were gonna work, it *should* id think.

If it's the parchment picking it up..... only what static is created/present on that small surface should matter right?

thats interesting about the cotton tshirt and low rh so as not to create any static.. not that i think about it when im brushing off my screen before i start that shit is super charged with static .. all the stuff i brush off seems like it fly's right back to the screen like a hair on a wool sweater.

Yeah I won't clean my screens with anything but plain white cotton shirts.. and in a decently clean room in low RH.. though i've done work up into the mid 80's here in Nor.Cal and my method still holds it's own..

But I def. find the cooler it is, the less static (obv) and at least for me, I try to avoid aluminum frames, logos on shirts, and other items that hold charges.

I have ran the same stuff through both aluminum and wood and while both were very similar, the wood frames work much better in a variety of weather conditions..

mofeta

Veteran
Tube amplifiers? No shit? I play guitar too. I have a Fender hotrod deluxe amp.

Yeah I love to jam. I have a lot of hobbies, but I think guitar playing is my favorite at the moment. I find it both calming and stimulating at the same time. It is a powerful tool to me in general, I use it as an exercise in making things I imagine in my mind become real things that other people can experience. I find this carries over into all aspects of my life. The most rewarding thing in my life is causing my ideas to "come to life", and my guitar playing is a microcosm of this mindset.

Those Hot Rod Deluxe are pretty good amps. You can get a good blues tone with them. They are a lot better if you change out some of the caps and resistors, the difference is pretty dramatic, especially tightening up the low-end muddy thing they have.

My favorite amp right now is my 1998 Mesa Boogie Mark I reissue, it is just absolutely incredible! The awesome tone it produces fuels my creativity and really makes it fun to play.

If you want to start learning about electronics through tube amps, the standard first project is to build a Fender Champ circuit, like the 5F1 or one of the variants. They are super simple, illustrate all the principles you need to understand, and sound great. There are several real good discussion forums with really knowledgeable people that like to help out.

Jam On!

mofeta

great minds think alike :tiphat:
got one of these old tremolux kickin around myself.. also got an early 90's cream colored mesa boogie.. great amp but its hard to get good tone out of it unless its turned way up.

rastakolnikov

Thanks for sharing your technique time2shine, and thanks to everybody trying it out. I'll be giving it a go as soon as I have some dry material.

Daub Marley

Yeah I love to jam. I have a lot of hobbies, but I think guitar playing is my favorite at the moment.
When I first started playing I was obsessed with it. I got pretty good (especially lead guitar), but after a certain point my interest in it sort of waned. I've gotten back into it recently and I can tell you that it is important to keep learning to stay engaged, so make sure you learn your music theory and such along the way. Don't just jam out because everyone falls into that hole. You must remain disciplined.

great minds think alike :tiphat:
got one of these old tremolux kickin around myself.. also got an early 90's cream colored mesa boogie.. great amp but its hard to get good tone out of it unless its turned way up.
I guess we do because there are like 5 people in this thread and 3 of us play guitar!
Those tremolux amps are pretty cool. I remember debating whether I wanted one or the hot rod, but those are pretty rare. I love the built in tremolo though. Its such a cool sounding and underused effect.
I guess I sort of derailed the thread there. Sorry guys! PM me to keep this going.
Game on!

Attachments

• Game on.jpg
    Game on.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 34