What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

There is no source of dry ice around me anywhere. I have searched up and down. The closest store i have found is over an hour away.

I do have a co2 tank with an on off valve that i used for paintball.. is there someway i can make dry ice with that?

You will need to get that CO2 to down to -108 F and at a pressure of at least 520 kPa. It is tough to do without the right tools. It will be much easier to buy some. Have you tried this search engine ?

http://www.dryicedirectory.com/usa.htm

Rukind

I just remember playing paintball and my gun would get pretty cold. also, if i sprayed the co2 at anything (it comes out pretty fast) it would freeze it. almost like when you turn a can of duster upside down

Rukind

find a wholesale ice cream supplier in your area.
they usually carry dry ice too

there is none anywhere around me :(

I dont understand why. There are only like 10 places that have it in my state when I searched. All are over an hour away from me. No wholesale ice cream supplier. I have a dairy queen and a couple family owned ice cream shops and they dont have it.

I remember in high school, our science teacher brought some in. I have no clue how he got it. It was in a bucket.

LokiLoki

there is none anywhere around me :(

I dont understand why. There are only like 10 places that have it in my state when I searched. All are over an hour away from me. No wholesale ice cream supplier. I have a dairy queen and a couple family owned ice cream shops and they dont have it.

I remember in high school, our science teacher brought some in. I have no clue how he got it. It was in a bucket.

I know some transportations use dry ice when transporting stuff that needs to be cooled. So maybe some kind of warehouse, fish market or anything like that. Just a tip :)

Good luck!
:tiphat:

GP73LPC

Strain Collector/Seed Junkie/Landrace Accumulator/
Veteran
just make the drive and get the dry ice, that's what i would do...

$20 in gas depending on what you drive...

Rukind

yeah ill look more into the tranportation services. I have not thought of that.

I dont have a problem driving to pick it up. I was just hoping it would last in the car.

bloyd

Veteran
yeah ill look more into the tranportation services. I have not thought of that.

I dont have a problem driving to pick it up. I was just hoping it would last in the car.

will last fine for several hours in a cooler depending on amount bought.

B

BrnCow

Here's an idea for those who have CO2 bottles...

<http://www.scientificsonline.com/dry-ice-maker-attachment.html>

Rukind

this is exactly what i was thinking.

if this works then why not do it just like bho? skip the bag and blow the co2 right over the trimmings and out through a screen?

when I spray my co2 tank at anything it makes it icy. I guess from the rapid expansion. Thats why they make expansion chambers on paintball guns. without them, my paintball gun would freeze up pretty bad.

M

mugenbao

As for cheap sources of mesh the best source is through Amazon. Both polyester and nylon mesh sheets in 12"x12" or 12"x24" in the following sizes:

[snip]

The price for the sheets change every week, so you have to check back to find them cheap but every size can eventually be found for only $2-$3.
I've looked on Amazon a few times. I must be using the wrong search criteria, because I haven't been able to find anything like what you're reporting. I'll have to do some more checking I guess, because that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Psuper

I've looked on Amazon a few times. I must be using the wrong search criteria, because I haven't been able to find anything like what you're reporting. I'll have to do some more checking I guess, because that sounds like a pretty good deal.

Use the search term "micron mesh sheet". You'll see either nylon or polypropylene "sheets" in the two sizes I mentioned above.

Organize the search results inside the Industrial & Scientific Department. Selecting a single department lets you organize the search results by price. I have various micron sizes of this material and haven't yet payed more than $3 for an individual sheet.

The mesh of (any) ice hash bags' filter should be polyester, as nylon is hygroscopic, but either would be fine with a dry ice run.

picture.php

NotaProfessor

These things are very inefficient, like around 10%, so a 20# tank completely blown out might get you 2# and it would be flakes, which would sublime quite quickly vs bulk dry ice. I would not recommend it especially if you have bulk dry ice an hour away.

Wrap the dry ice in newspapers (conduction is the biggest consumer of dry ice in storage) and put it in a cooler. It will not lose much of its bulk on your trip home.

mrheadie

thx for the walk through on this method guys. just got a new set of bags and a mini washing machine, but i'm def gonna save enough trim for at least 1 dry ice run. gonna have a concentrate making assembly line going on this weekend! bho purging, the washing machine mixing the bubble, and dry ice sieving a bucket in between it all! cant wait.
peace
headie

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Psuper said:
The mesh of (any) ice hash bags' filter should be polyester, as nylon is hygroscopic, but either would be fine with a dry ice run.

Found some "Tide" brand wash bags the large size is 15 inches x 18 inches and they have an XL that is 18 x 24 for washing clothes separate from other laundry that are very cheap not even $5 each with a full zipper on them and they look perfect for a bucket with dry ice in it and some dry ice hash making. Not sure on the exact mesh size but it looked pretty small & very tight just about right to me by eye. Made of 100% polyester and you can likely find them at your local Wal-mart in the section with the laundry & household goods. Not the aisle with the detergents but the one where pop-up laundry bins and stuff are so it might be worth checking out! ;)

Also the mesh is like a wavy ripple pattern looks just perfect for trichome heads to pass through and nothing else it's a pretty interesting little pattern they call "Optimesh Technology". Might be just what we have been looking for :biggrin:

Link: http://www.tide.com/en-US/accessory/wash-bag.jspx

Last edited: