What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dry Ice Hash FTW!!

C

Chamba

So if im not completely wrong this method will get you more hash?

with all things being equal, no....there's only X amount of resin heads on the material.....the dry ice method doesn't magically produce more. Plant material mixed with dry ice readily releases the resin heads as well as breaks up the plant material into dust.

I see alot of people using 4oz of trimmings and getting about 20grams of hash.
And with the cold water method i got like 10grams from 4oz.

When I aim for quantity, rather than quality, I always get more weight from dry sifting than by using Bubble bags. But let me clarify that statement, the total weight of resin heads is about the same, it's just that the dry sift contains more contaminant. Next time you compare Bubble bags with dry sift, use a magnifying glass to see why the sift weighs more.

There's a lot of excitement around for dry ice sifting and a lot of exaggerated claims too. It's a good technique to use, but I think more sifters should work on this technique aiming for a purer end result, instead of quickly and wildly shaking the crap out of the plant material....also don't shake over a mirror or glass table, shake into a bag, box or other type of containment so lots of the resin heads doesn't float away...I have to laugh at all these youtube dry ice videos, they suspend the screen at about 1 ~ 3 feet above the table and they shake the shit out of it and then exclaim how incredible the result is....you could save money on dry ice, simply freeze the plant material and get the same result.

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
thats the part that concerns me. If you shake to hard you will end up with alot of contaminents in the final product ? I would expect to see particales of the plant matter the mre you shake. \

Absolutely true, but you can resift the kif itself.
Might be worth doing 220 to separate out most of the plant material, then take it down from there.

For me, I was loving the speed and ease of the whole concept, and keeping it simple, but, y'all- take it and run with it!

zymos

Jammin'!
Veteran
also don't shake over a mirror or glass table, shake into a bag, box or other type of containment so lots of the resin heads doesn't float away...

What a concept!
Good thinkin' there- I used a framed picture around 2X3, and after I put away all the gear, scraped up a nice pile of kif from the wood coffee table (that I foresightedly cleaned before starting) I was working on.

C

Chamba

Absolutely true, but you can resift the kif itself.
Might be worth doing 220 to separate out most of the plant material, then take it down from there.

I always resift too...but keep in mind that with the usual dry sifting methods, it's better and easier to not allow the contaminants in there in the first place rather than trying to separate it afterwards, that's if quality and purity is your aim

so be gentle at first and then use a more aggressive approach on the second run.

Happy Sifting!.

C

Chamba

While a 220 micron bag (with other finer bags under it) works for ice water separation, I think you'll get better results with dry sifting by using a finer mesh....try a 125 ~ 160 micron sized bag and you will allow much less contaminant to pass through the mesh. ..or try a 160 then a 125 micron mesh bag.

Str8Dank

yeah it works well. i did it with zero issues. took minutes and i had over 20 grams. it's not 'wet' it's never been exposed to water so it's ready to use the second your done i smoked it and just like any old hash it burned and kept burning when i was not dragging on the bowl.

LokiLoki

So if im not completely wrong this method will get you more hash?

with all things being equal, no....there's only X amount of resin heads on the material.....the dry ice method doesn't magically produce more. Plant material mixed with dry ice readily releases the resin heads as well as breaks up the plant material into dust.

I see alot of people using 4oz of trimmings and getting about 20grams of hash.
And with the cold water method i got like 10grams from 4oz.

When I aim for quantity, rather than quality, I always get more weight from dry sifting than by using Bubble bags. But let me clarify that statement, the total weight of resin heads is about the same, it's just that the dry sift contains more contaminant. Next time you compare Bubble bags with dry sift, use a magnifying glass to see why the sift weighs more.

There's a lot of excitement around for dry ice sifting and a lot of exaggerated claims too. It's a good technique to use, but I think more sifters should work on this technique aiming for a purer end result, instead of quickly and wildly shaking the crap out of the plant material....also don't shake over a mirror or glass table, shake into a bag, box or other type of containment so lots of the resin heads doesn't float away...I have to laugh at all these youtube dry ice videos, they suspend the screen at about 1 ~ 3 feet above the table and they shake the shit out of it and then exclaim how incredible the result is....you could save money on dry ice, simply freeze the plant material and get the same result.

Thank you for the helpful answer!
I will probably continue with the bubble bag method cus i really love the quality of it.

And yeah i can't believe i haven't seen anyone using a bucket of some sort, people seem to be wasting a lot of resin when using tables etc..

Take care!

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm thinking something like a large glass or ceramic baking pan would work well, the ones with the deeper sides.

Anyone have some quick goto sources for proper larger mesh sizes from readily available materials? I know I have seen mention of them in the past and reason I ask is I have some bubble bags right now but only the very small micron sizes. Need some bigger mesh what can be used that is easy to find without ordering a new set? :tiphat:

M

merlot

Maybe some cheesecloth SOTF? I've never used it but pretty sure I have read of others doing so.. have to wait for one of these hash experts to chime in ;)

Herborizer

Veteran
Dry ice is a vast improvement Vs just freezing the material and doing the sam procedure without the dry ice. VAST.

Some pictures...

73u / 220u
dryice1-1.jpg

73u
73dryice3.jpg

dryice734.jpg

dryice735.jpg

M

merlot

Will do another batch tomorrow, and shake less aggressively, use a smaller bag and see how it comes out~

Looks great merlin!

B

BrnCow

The reason they use successive bag sizes is to separate batches, is so when the shit starts dropping green color, you can separate this from the sandy colored great stuff as it has leaf matter mixed in it and is a lower quality. About time to stop then. I saw this done and it is amazingly fast and clean. All these people did was get a few pound block of dry ice, break it into a few pieces, dump it and a zip or so of dried leaf in a 5 gallon bucket, swirl it around for a minute or so, put a bag over the bucket and invert the bucket. Ice and trim gets dumped into the bag, guy grabbed the bag about 6 inches over trim level and gently shook it up and down and the magic happened. Don't eat the dry ice or yellow snow...use leather/thick gloves to handle the dry ice...it might crack a plastic table top if laid on it..shake onto something that it can be easily removed from - picture frame glass or smooth tray. Takes all of 20 minutes or less. Ice costs $2 a pound or so. Take a small ice chest or 6 pack cooler to keep it in until you use it....they bought 3 pounds and did a few ounces of trim and had plenty of ice left...

Dkgrower

Veteran
it looks really cool with the smoke

I would like to see some test where u just use dry trim with out the dry ice and one with the dry ice and see if the return is not more or less the same.

I guess that the dry ice would make the shaking time less, but if u have a tumbler that is not really a Q,

if u dont have a big frezzer this might be smart but really i think its overkill.....

Edit to note, that Cheese net is not very good to use when making hash u need to find a source that sells high quality mesh off polyethen i get mine from swizerland and its top qual in all mesh sizes and lenght

LokiLoki

Great pictures merlin!!

I still can't decide if i should use the dry ice method or the bubble method. I don't think im gonna have enough material for trying both.. Oh the choices in life..

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am going to have to experiment with this too, having never done it!

Clearly the process depends on the increased frangibility of the trichome heads as the temperature drops, vis a vis the plant material. As most of ya'll know, the quality of the extract falls off as more plant material is also broken off and entered into the mix.

I would guess (hee, hee, hee), that some moisture left in the plant material before freezing would be a plus. More after we have actually tried it and have anything worthwhile to offer.

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
been doing this for a while now.
just did two lbs of popcorn nugs of G-13.
one $10 block of dry ice did four - half pound runs.
I start with a 20 micron screen then jump to a 45, then I do the rest with a 120.I don't do a 160 because by them you get plant material.
results-
20m- 12 grams
45m- 30 grams
120m- 145 grams (5oz)
I love the stuff,
It's pure and very clean to smoke.

Oh yeah, I shake into big plastic tubs I got at WalMart to reduce floating loss..
They are easy to scrape out and then I run a hose into the tubs afterward to "clean" out the tubs and run the water thru the 20micron screen to get the last of it from the tubs.
That nets about an eighth of a more traditional water hash.
So if you want to make it look and burn like a traditional water hash just soak it for a short time and let it dry and thats what you wind up with.

Rukind

There is no source of dry ice around me anywhere. I have searched up and down. The closest store i have found is over an hour away.

I do have a co2 tank with an on off valve that i used for paintball.. is there someway i can make dry ice with that?

I was thinking about doing it a lot like oil. instead of butane, blow co2 through the trimmings and then a screen?