What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

personal Reason for growing

littlegrow

I'm curious as to what your reason is for growing, is it for enjoyment of knowing you can smoke something at the end of the hard work, or for the pain and to help others

for me its the enjoyment i get from growing a plant which is beautiful and the achivment for me is massive.

gekolite

I am old ,started with Mexican saliva's in late sixties, went to Columbian, Honduran, Panamanian, all bag seed, now days I grow my own crosses, and experiment with clones, and commercial seeds,, I do not care what people say,, the old stuff was just as good or better than this new stuff...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
love of cannabis.

no other plant has given me so much...

I was a mess. fucked up back, had fusion surgery and never was able to be pain free. the opiates were destroying my liver, the valium was making me fall asleep while driving; the drugs were actually intensifying my fall into despair.

I had to quit working. I moved, lost house, no income, no insurance...facing the worst depression I turned to cannabis.

cannabis helped me recover from that depression to be functional again. helped reduce pain and the anxiety of my new life without pharmacueticals.

made the investment in knowledge, lights, ventilation, and genetics and a subliminal promise to myself to never again be at their mercy. best damned decision I ever made.

did I say 'I love cannabis'?

Arthritis_sucks

The Dude
Veteran
I grow because it has changed my life for the better on so many levels. I grow because I was taught this amazing skill, an was told to pass it on to the wise. I have done such an touched the lives of those who accepted the knowledge. I grow because I love it! I love it, I love it, I love it! I can't say it enough. Been growing since 92' an I will always grow.

oldchuck

Veteran
I like to grow things in general but... In the early 1970s, even before my first daughter was born, I decided I never wanted to do business with a dope dealer ever again and I never have.

Vash

Ol' Skool
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm an old fart. Been dealing with Miss Mary for almost 40 years. All of my PIC's(partners in crime) faded out, quit for job reasons, etc. That left me with dealing with the younguns'. Oh HELL to the NO. Plus, you're always on someone elses' time. You got to wait for the dealer to do whatever the fuck they're doing and then MAYBE you can see them - OR wait on that call. Fuck that action. I bit the bullet back on 03', saved some cash, stole one of my bedrooms(with wooden floors, mind you) and turned it into a grow room. Never looked back.

Dropped Cat

Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch
Veteran
I grow for stash, an old fart too, but healthy. Knock wood.

I know what goes into my plants, can't remember the last time
I smoked store bought weed.

I make crosses, some narrow leaf, some Afghans. I love it all.

Been toking 35 years, hope to toke another 35 years!

Good thread!

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
I like gardening/growing.. makes me happy. I like my smoke but its more exciting and rewarding for me to have great looking plants and a big harvest.

there goes edro

Veteran
Weed prices got out of control after the 911 attacks. Figured what the he'll why not learn to produce my own stash. It's been a absolutely fantastic journey! Circumstances never allow to grow continuously but i have enjoyed every second ive been blessed to spend in my garden.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
For me, it started off like it does most 18 year olds who grow... I wanted cash. But then I began smoking all of my product because I began noticing the benefits of staying high all the time, and my recreational usage legitimately turned into medicinal and therapeutic usage. Now I'm 36 and the primary reason I still grow is simply because no one's shit is as good as mine, plain and simple. There's the additional benefit of it being free (minus input costs), too, which pretty much guarantees I'll always grow. But if legalization brings high quality primo top shelf nugs to the market at a price that's appropriate for farmed produce, like it should be, then I will almost certainly cut back on the amount of growing I do. It's such a full time job! And I already have one of those!

Jhhnn

Veteran
I came back to growing when A64 passed. That & pending retirement gave me the confidence to return. I hadn't smoked pot in 25 years. It's a long story, but it's nice to grow again, good to do that w/o any bullshit, w/o returning to the lifestyle that nearly killed me back then.

They're beautiful plants, too, particularly when you can just let 'em grow, take the shape they want. It's my grow style. If I covet much of anything in this life, it's growing some of the amazing outdoor plants pictured here. Cannabis Giganticus. Hell, I'd just love to see 'em in person.

I'm just growing my way thru a small sample of the variety of modern cannabis, buying bits retail as samples on occasion, sharing when I can. Colorado has always been a great place to live, and this just makes it better. I'm very lucky indeed to be a part of it, to be here now.

unregistered190

Senior
Veteran
But if legalization brings high quality primo top shelf nugs to the market at a price that's appropriate for farmed produce, like it should be, then I will almost certainly cut back on the amount of growing I do. It's such a full time job! And I already have one of those!

Good point hush :tiphat:

Many do not realize the time and effort put into growing good smoke

St. Phatty

I'm curious as to what your reason is for growing, is it for enjoyment of knowing you can smoke something at the end of the hard work, or for the pain and to help others

for me its the enjoyment i get from growing a plant which is beautiful and the achivment for me is massive.

A/ Good medicine, and

B/ Growing itself is like a medicine. "Agro-therapy".

RB56

Veteran
I started because my GF threatened to plant the seeds we had accumulated during the 15 years we had been together up to that time. I knew that wouldn't produce anything worth having - no offense to female growers, mine doesn't have the inclination at all.

I started seeds in paper towels, even though I didn't know what I was going to do with the seedlings. I expected to plant them outside in my yard but pretty quickly realized it wasn't going to work. Started building a spot in the basement. That first grow was completely learn as I went, mostly informed by this site. Got a reasonable return from that first grow so that was pretty good incentive.

The reason I continue is that we love weed. The difference between knowing what you're getting and whatever the pain in the ass dealer already referenced brings by is extraordinary. I know what the high will be like, that the material isn't adulterated or contaminated and that the only crime involved is the one I'm committing. Can't imagine doing it any other way now.

mik'

;)
my first smoke was 1979 was recreational use !!!!!!!!!! for 10 years ... COOL.
After 15 years in 1995 I did not know why I smoked ! LOL ! (?)
But I knew I wanted a maximum of plants all backgrounds ! Landraces ... hybrids breeding ... personal hybrids....
Then after 15 years later in 2010 I became use med :( and now I have to eat to reduce the pain of the past 35 years are millions of Smok also..... life reserve of different epochs. when we are young things are different when we are old too ;))
the consomation can not always be identical after 30 or 40 years.
The human being exchange and consumption as well. The best memory is the 80' or I smoked a lot of landraces (African, Colombian, Mexican ...) and play with life. Now this is the life that plays with me (after the dealer has to be NEVER be my feeling...) !
Always be smart with marijuana! ! !
Taking care of your health...

"True friendship is like sound health, the value is seldom appreciated until it is lost"

Cabinet Ninja

Veteran
Mixed reasons. Was in a financial pinch so I threw up a tent to get some spare $$. The buds were so much better and cheaper to produce than avaliable to buy that I grew some more for myself and girlfriend to smoke. My girlfriend found that my BHO helped her sleep as she was suffering from PTSD as well as (undiagnosed at the time) Bipolar/depression. Started growing medically for her. Now she is off the BHO as her condition has stabilised. I now grow for enjoyment in growing and for personal smoke. I vape very small amounts, so my harvests last me forever pretty much. I'll be shutting down shortly due to a move, never know what new landlords are like. Will hopefully start up again, but will have to see.

Love the herb, love growing it, love ICMag!

GrowerGoneWild

Veteran
That's funny, no on one has said money.

Its not a main reason for me.

In fact I'm doing an indoor hydro grow for an elderly couple for FREE.
I had some spare parts etc.. anyways.. They are both so happy, knowing they can do this themselves. I'm kinda coaching her how to do it. Check on it once in awhile.. etc..

I'm always growing stuff.. I just like plants :)