What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

seeds inquiry

TrillOG

i cut a sample off one of my girls today, there are some seeds from the cross I made, they aren't green, or white... they look viable, my question is when can I plant them?? do they need to dry, cure, etc.. or are they good to go right now??

green-genes77

Veteran
I've had a range of experience re: germination time of fresh seeds and I'm convinced that it's at least somewhat genetically determined.

In general, according to my notes, for most seeds I have produced the viability spikes at around two weeks and by three or four weeks its about 100%.

On the other hand, I just popped a fresh test batch of a few crosses and one of them had 2 of 3 seeds germinate within 24 hours.

If you have enough to play around with go ahead and experiment. If they are limited in number I would wait a couple of weeks just to be sure.

BOMBAYCAT

Veteran
g-g is way right. The germination of brand new seeds off the bud is lower than if they dry out a few weeks (for some reason).

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Have had numerous sproutlings from seeds falling off bud. Sure, drying is good, but have had flowers/herbs do the same thing once Nature's gravity pulls them.

Weirdest thing (or maybe not)....when preening seeds from our strains, some drop into cracks outside and they've over wintered in sidewalk expansion joints (those that fell off). After -15 or lower, snow, freezing rain in spring they sprout in spring!!

Good luck!

TrillOG

thanks for the info.. I wont even test these then to see, ill just give them a few acouple months until this next crop comes off, and give them the next slot...

corky1968

Veteran
I find it's best if you dry them for a couple of days and then refrigerate them for at least month.

This simulates Winter and they tend to germinate much better.

Ganoderma

Hydronaut
Mentor
Veteran
I've seen seeds fall off and start growing in the same container as the plant that it fell from before the "mother" plant was even finished flowering.

You are supposed to let the seeds dry first. Everybody knows why. there Wet. You don't want them to spoil do you? i dry freshly made seed for at least two weeks

Last edited:

TrillOG

I decided to let them air out for a couple months probably, until this batch in the closet gets done, and strike up a few to see what I got a little while later.. if it was a little earlier in the season I would probably try to drop them outside in a old tree pot, but when I crunched that bud and seeds where there I got all excited about the seeds, with this being my first step out into making intentional f1(?) crosses... use to be accidental f2.. lol, was high and really didn't think about my current situation, and where all of these extra plants where going to go.. but everything has settled and its just not doable at the moment... but thanks for the advice... Everybody.