What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Distilled white vinegar use instead of PH Down

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
I was wondering your guy's thoughts? Vinegar is way cheaper then PH Down. Plus i have a couple gallons of it already. Thanks

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Cool. I was wondering how much? My tap water is close to 8 In a 50 gallon drum i usually add a good 2 1/2 TBS of PH Down to drop it pretty close to 6.5 ish.

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Thanks Tess. i been just using a hydro meter to check my PH of my water and solutions its got a ppm and temp gage of the water/solution as well on it. Its says its a 24-7 nutrient monitor, we've had it for years. manly used it in the reservoir when we ran ebb an flow indoors

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Sulphuric acid is cheaper (than nutrient brand) and better-er (than vinegar or citric).

I like your style Tess A Rectory.

I don't know where that came from. Edit: Weird we both called you Tess. Have you got a trouser snake or a skin flapper?

Granger2

Veteran
Since you have it on hand, yes it works. Note that it will be a source of P, so you may want to allow for that. Good luck. -granger

Ph-patrol

Veteran
I have used it for years.
My ph is pretty good so I only used it for smaller adjustments.
Use what you got I say.

CoCoSativas

Phosphoric acid lasts longer and works MUCH better.

You need much less ph down that's why it's so much more expensive.

I prefer using professional stuff so I use ph down I have used vinegar whaen I ran out. I didn't really like it

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Curious, have you considered using r/o water or other water filtered to 15ppm or less?

The reason I ask is the use of potassium based pH up is actually beneficial to cannabis. You can look up the effects of potassium on tobacco and the same applies to cannabis. The other benefit is the ability to supply only necessary macro/micro elements with the water.

The other upside is if you have to move locations. Using an r/o filter makes sure that you won't have to change your grow methods. The consistency of r/o allows you to feed the same way, in the same type of environment. Tap/Well water is anything but consistent.

Douglas

WelderDan

Veteran
It works in the short term, but it has no hang time. You will find you have to make corrections more often. I used it if I couldn't get to the store right away, but I personally wouldn't use it long term.

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
It works in the short term, but it has no hang time. You will find you have to make corrections more often. I used it if I couldn't get to the store right away, but I personally wouldn't use it long term.
Exactly. I forgot about answering the original question, you answered it for me. Thank you.

Douglas

idiit

Veteran
Phosphoric acid lasts longer and works MUCH better.

You need much less ph down that's why it's so much more expensive.

I prefer using professional stuff so I use ph down I have used vinegar whaen I ran out. I didn't really like it

^ amen.

no shit. I tested the water, adjusted it with vinegar to 6.5 for years and never tested the water again.

I started recently testing the adjusted water the next day and was shocked to discover that the water went back up to unacceptable alkaline levels by the very next day.

they put alkaline adjusters in the water here in se usa to lower maintenance of the underground waste water and water supply lines. the soil here goes very acidic during the hot summer months.

my tap water is around a 9-10 ph outa da tap.

vinegar fucking sucks. I did not research the longevity of vinegar ph down applications. there is probably nothing more important than correct ph water levels.