What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LED Grow Lights

bigbrokush

I've been looking into getting some LED Grow light, and I was wondering what some others here might know about the lights. I do know that the light are more in cost, and last longer than most. Oh and the other plus less heat from the lights. But let me see what some of you think about the ideal. Oh I forgot your bill would be less also.

Smoke68

IDK, I remember seeing the LED experiments on a thread on here... Then I saw a thread on how disappointed people where with it.
IMO LED is by far the #1 source of light in terms of efficiency and longevity. It uses the least amount of wattage per watt and far less per lumen for that matter. When an LED light board is switched on, there is no surge in power as there is in HPS, MH or CMH or even CFL, fluorescent and incandescent lights for that matter.
However I believe that the technology we have and/or facilitate for the light emitting diode, does not at this time, exceed the minimum requirements that a marijuana plant must have to create the process of photosynthesis at the rate in which marijuana requires to thrive.

chosen

Veteran
Don't bother. One day LEDs will be a good option but they just aren't one yet. Pretty much every garden/grow site that talks about them being a good alternative is lying. Don't waste your money. Fluoros will blow away LEDs.

G

Im wating for commercial(noncannabis) growers pick them up....

when that happens its probably there.....

so now and then I bring up google and use the seach words...

led commercial growers

At this point its pretty much nohit city.....

J

JollyGreen

chosen said:
Don't bother. One day LEDs will be a good option but they just aren't one yet. Pretty much every garden/grow site that talks about them being a good alternative is lying. Don't waste your money. Fluoros will blow away LEDs.

:yeahthats

gladysvjubb

Veteran
I'm easing my way into LED's. I have set small plug ins that consume about 2 watts around my house as accent/night lights. I have a red/blue spectrum 168 LED on one of my grows right now acting as supplemental light to 6 biax 40 watt floros in a phototron. So far so good. Don't know how they would do as a stand alone lighting system but judging by the way they are selling on ebay I'd say there are a lot of folks trying them.
I've noticed that my seedlings developed braoder leaves and deeper green coloring even tho they are under a 12/12 light regimen. Interesting to say the least.
I plan on picking up 4 panels of red for the flower room to supplement my 400 w HPS. We will see.

Last edited:

Smoke68

^But that is ebay.. the place where turbo blow sound thingies are sold so your car can "sound turbo'ed for 10th the price!"
I still stand by my previous post....

gladysvjubb

Veteran
The NEW device at work.........

The NEW device at work.........

Pay no attention to the hermaphrodyte. It's going to give me female seeds. It's inadvertently in the image.

Blunt_69

the keeper of the creeper
Veteran
I laugh everytime I see people trying to sell us on LED technology, then in the background some spindely plant that goes along with it....no offence on your hermi.lol. LED technology is not worth the money/talk/hypothisis. Every LED grow i have seen is always pathetic and dissapointing. Show me some decent bud grown with LED i'll change my tune.

dkmonk

Aren't LED's still at a ridiculous price, like around $4-500 last time i looked. IMO fluoros would work just as good if not even better and for what 30-40 bucks and that gets you more than enough for a couple of plants.

gladysvjubb

Veteran
Yes, they are still expensive. The prices on ebay are all over the place if you track them. The 168 LED screw in bulb ranges (at auction) from $22 -$45. The 900 LED panels in red go anywhere from $120 - $175 plus shipping. The one I am using for supplemental light in the phototron cost me $35 delivered. Trying to buy another one for another germing tron but I keep getting outbid.
Not too sure of the LED effect but the plants seem to develop a much more broadening of the leaves under it's influence. At least using this bulb I cut 17 watts from my power bill.
No noticeable deteremental effect has been observed. I have 5 Trainwreck feminised seedlings that are 3 weeks old under 12/12 under the light and I expect they will display sex this week. I am neither pro or con at this moment.

dkmonk

I've read some other posts and what I've concluded is that these should only be used for vege growth, and then switch to a regular light (HPS, MH, or fluoros) for the flowering process (since your going for low wattage then fluoros prolly be the best)

brodus24

With the success in Floros and HID, I don't know why anyone would spend that kind of money on a proven-to-fail technology.

clown baby

I'm looking for a led grow light too,may choose marshydro?seems many good feedback, now looking a 300watt,can get a free gift too.don't know how can it work? https://goo.gl/JoW3Nc

dude this is a ten year old thread. don't buy blurples (mars hydro).

If you want to get LEDs, Look into COBs, quantum boards, or bridgelux EB strips. There are lots of threads on DIY builds and kits. Also, check out growmau5 on youtube. He's got a lot of well-produced videos that discuss LEDs.

Jimirich808

I’m using 3 hydro galaxy 300 watt broad spectrum LEDs and two 45 watt t5 48” fluorescents. No problems here at all. Very little stretching, gorgeous green leaves...... no complaints here. I do bloom outdoors though cause I’m in Hawaii and a I can all year round

Yeah definitely don't get blurples they sometimes work out but not the best. Like clown baby said look into diy cobs like some cxb3590 or veros something along those lines.