What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LST training in detail. Why bushes are better

earlyish

The only suggestion I would make Truecannabliss is that you haven't filled up your pots enough. Especially when they're little it makes tying down to the horizontal or below difficult. You're also wasting some of the volume of the pot.

R

Ronley

So I got home and rushed over to start tying my plants, only to find that the stems are too woody and sturdy and if I do any bending then they will snap.

Oh well next crop, I already planted some beans and promissed that when they are old enough they will be tied down.

earlyish

Ronley: The secret is to bend the woody stalks a little bit at a time every two days tighten the ties a little more. You can only do it in one go with young juicy stems. What stage are the plants in?

Awol/CoA

Thanks Caprichoso.

I was just thinking..this would be usefull in outdoor grows aswell,
mainly when low profile is needed due to low height fences or when
garden space is at a minimum.

Toke it easy...
Greetz, Awol.

R

Ronley

OH!

I have 2 plants in question that are just starting to flower.

I bent one with out tieing- just bended it a bit to see how far it can go. I could experiment with this plant. and as you say tighten the ties every couple of days.

G

Great Thread guys,Yes i have heard of this tech being used outside for stealth reasons.For eg if you have a plant that may reach the top of a fence or similar,you can continually top it of course but you maybe left with lots of popcorn buds.Bending the girls over (steady) means you can have a far bigger plant running along the ground,or just off and all the nice branches shooting upright.Greater yield and of course greater quality bud.
One other thing I used to do is manual light manipulation start the plants early in doors and when they are mature,and you can sex them,take any clones you want.Then force them into 12/12 by moving the plants into a shed or similar where you can create a totally dark environ.You can then get them flowering in mid summer,and finishing when the sun is strong and the weather better.Then let the clones flower naturaly,So two harvests in one British Summer.This is a work intensive trick and will not be possible for many but if you can, and use your imagination,It can work very well. Good Luck

G

Cap Hopefully all this no uploading stuff will be fixed i would like ot show my lil LST apolloxhaze.. She looks pert goot i must say.. Ill be back when it works i hope you like it..peace..

Sack's First Outdoor Grow

sack :friends: :canabis: :smoke:

Bigmone357

squeezing main stalk til it cracks to force branching.

squeezing main stalk til it cracks to force branching.

Caprichoso said:
Crushing the stem was how I got a multicola plant for the first two years I was growing. Do a side by side comparison and see the difference in how even the branching grows out. It became obvious to me that when crushing or snapping the hurd, there was a significant delay in the growth of the nodes above the damage, two or three days. That's a lot when your clones only spend 18-20 days in veg after rooting. True, the branching below the damage took off as compensation, but that led to my plants being very uneven during the stretch and having to do a lot of work to keep an even canopy. LST makes everything grow out so evenly, you swear the entire plant is in stasis for a few days until you see things like that lowest branch seen above growing out like it is.

Not at all. What matters is that you don't damage the plant when doing the initial training to get the branching to grow out. I've seen many ways of training, including using hooks and fishing weights to lower branches (plant looked like a X-mas tree)

I have a slightly different opinion of hurd snapping after the initial training is over. In fact, snapping the hurd on stretching branches is my favorite way to control height without more ties. Ive been known to top them as well. When it's done for individual branch training and height control, hurd crushing and topping both have a place in my room. I just wont do them for axial growth.
I do this also it works hugely .Glad to see this post caprichoso more people should do it :canabis: . :wave: Bm357

sinoptik

Great to see you document fully the process of LST. I started doing it for similar reasons to get many tops from just tying them down. It really allows you to get so much more from each plant by growing bush...thanks for the writeup caprichoso, couldn't of said it better myself ;)

G

Cap
here is one my LST female this pic was taken on the 18th of may.. Ill
have the newest today.. Just excited to post a pic since everything is fixed..
here is the top of my Apollo x Haze#1

And the angled side shot.. of her

She has really taken off since these pics were taken.. And is ready for a good prunning..
Hope you dont mind me posting these pix..

Here is my 1st male Apolloxhaze

I have updated some apolloxhaze Only.. Full update today..

sack :friends: :canabis: :smoke:

earlyish

Sackoweed: How do you LST when your pots are only partially filled? The only option you would appear to have is to stake shoots to the soil surface rather than over the pot rim.

G

Exactly they are about 3/4 i ran out of soil for that particular transplant session.
Yes they are staked down it works just the same.. as you can see.. peace..

here are a coupla new pics of her. look maybe a less than a 1/4 is not filled.

and from the top

see it works. At least i think it does.. lol

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

G

Sack, those look great! Anyway you can get the branches donw without stress is all good and the same. I just show one way to do it.

Yours look great also true, you're getting an excellent response from the looks of them.

Sorry I havn't been updating this thread, I just found it again, to be honest. And the frickin thing is in my sig!

I'll pay more attention, promise. :wave:

cheetos

this is definatly gonna be the way im gonna grow when im ready to start. Im gonna be using a 250 watter on two plants and this might be the edge im looking for to get a bit more outta the little light! Great job thanks!

G

I love LST.. And thanx Cap for the reasurance on the way i am LST'ing
I use tieing them to to themselves as well as stakes i actually prefer staking them.
along the pot.. I gave my female a haircut tonight. Ill take some pics tomorrow and post them here. Like i saud before i will LST at least 2-3 plants everytime.. Thanx Cap for this thread. And the education on LST.. peace.. Dont forget to stop by my grow cap..

Our grow has adopted some new family members.. LQQK!!

sack :friends: :canabis: :joint:

Latest posts

Latest posts