What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

LST training in detail. Why bushes are better

G

Sure! The generation of plants you see above was just harvested this past week. You can see the reults in the 20 watt psf link in my sig.

Harry Gypsna

Dirty hippy Bastard
Veteran
Well, i still havent done this, but i got plans for a couple of clones ill be taking from a strain called "Cheeze" which i recieved from a kind person.any way, i have achieved a great result using the basic method of tying the main stem down and then tying branches as i go along, but not moving the ties up anode all the time to be true LST, any how, with two mango plants, vegged for 12 weeks i think, in 10 litre pots, have filled 1 third of my flower room which is 1 metere 92 long and 1 metre 50 wide. i have got too many big colas to count, and loads of smaller ones, i really managefd to open up the middle, so even lower branches in the middle thet would be blocked got some good light. also, the 2 plants are even, all the tops are mostly even, apart from on each plant, one of the middle branches, has after a while, taken over as main cola,these two big colas are at 32 abd 30 inches high, but the rest of the canopy is about 4 inches below it, and pretty even, so i have the advantage of a multi-cola, and got 1 huge fat cola on each plant as well. still got just under 4 weeks to go yet and they are fat as hell. anyway, just wanted to say, that i will be trying this out, and it will be interesting to see, as u say a side by side, i was going to do a full room of this mango if turns out to be decent smoke, so, i will use these as well as the other strain, and do a couple of mangos each way, basic tying down, or true LST. I think going on how these took to tying they would make excellent candidates for it.

notpot

bending over

bending over

caprichoso do the main stems have to be bent over so that the growth tip is not the highest point on the plant as you have stated? can they just be bent 90degrees or must they be 180degree turn for full benefits?

right now I just have them at 90degrees but i guess in a few days i could make the whole bend after they get used to it a little bit.. didnt want to break them right off

GreatLakes THC

an Arthur P. Jacobs production
Veteran
These are my first attempts at LST and I absolutely have fallen in love with it. Can't wait to see how these girls flowers out. The first is Soma's A+ and the second two are Grapefruit.

GreatLakes THC

G

Looks fantastic GL! And a wonderful shade of green you have as well. good luck with it all.

earlyish

TRied LST for the first time this grow - now at 60 days flowering.

Couple of extra tips: you don't have to drill screws into your posts. Get the thickest longest rubber bands you can find. You may have to join 2 or three together. Put it around the pot just below the rim. Strings can then be "trapped" under the elastic and are easily moved/ tightened.

I started LST when the plants were 3" tall, stems are much more flexible in early growth. But I left on the ties and even added some as it is great for fine tuning bud position to allow light to others.

G

That is a nice idea with the rubber band earlyish, but I like my setup. I know how to play the angles better with screws around the rim.

I continue retieng through the stretch, mostly minor adjustments.

G

big mike said:
its seems that this is for a clone, right Cap? how long would i have to wait to start training seedlings?

The plants in this thread are clones, yes, but for seedlings, it can still be done as soon as the stem is developed enough to be pulled over. Usually six nodes or 6-8" is decent enough development, but with care it can be done at virtually any size. Waiting is usually better though.

Good luck Mike

What a concept!

What a concept!

Man CAP,That rocks buddy :headbange ! I, like some other people on IC didnt know it was called LST. This thread has been extremely informative. Heres a mother i got tired of, so I bent her over and made her give me seven heads!

G

nice bikertrash!

LST Supercropping is the name a grower named Delta9420 gave it over at hempcultivation in about 2000. I'm sure growers have been manipulating cannabis like this for a long time indoors, though. He just introduced it to the cultivation forums (as far as I and he know)

A Supercropping technique was publicized by High Times in an article covering a grower named NYPD, where snapping the hurd was the impetus for axial growth. I practiced NYPDs technique until Delta showed me that I was losing growth to stress factors.

tokinjoe

Question. How tall or old do the plants have to be before you start your LST?? I'm starting my first growroom, strictly veg for mothers/clones for outdoors and this is definately the way to go IMHO as far as what I've seen here. Thanks Cap, for a damnded informative thread. Peace. :canabis:

G

Thanks Cap, just finished a grow with a 400 watter, and got 9 ounces. Pretty far from 1 gram per watt, but my best yet. LST is the best way to go IMO.

G

northernlightss said:
Thanks Cap, just finished a grow with a 400 watter, and got 9 ounces. Pretty far from 1 gram per watt, but my best yet. LST is the best way to go IMO.

That is a great result for that size light. Excellent job! The measure of success varies greatly with strain and how heavy it yields. If I had a Big Bud going, I bet a gram per watt is easily achievable, if one had the desire to smoke Big Bud, lol :D I'm sure it's a fine strain, but I like my pot tasty and potent and will sacrifice a lot of harvest weight to genetics to get it.

Thanks Cap for the very much needed LST information. I was worried yesterday when I started tying my babies down. I felt like I was torturing them. I checked in on them when I turned their lights back on today, they actually looked almost greener and healthier and already like they want to bush out... Last night was their first night in flower... YEAH.... I added some CO2 to them when I turned their lights on as well so hopefully they'll show me as much love as I'm showin them... :smile:

wikidcalibudgrl

Just thought I'd chime in on this one. I read this post quite a while ago and just started my E&F set-up. I remembered this thred and started the LST about 5 days ago now( gunna have to move my ties on the 5 day old tonight when the light come on) on one of mine and four days ago on the other,,, here they are today ( also posted on my thred in Indoor Hydro)( Edited to add more updated LST trainee pics)
TY TY Caprichoso for this very valued information! :friends:

~Wikid

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts