What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Clones From Clones From Clones

pop_rocks

In my empire of dirt
very good stuff here and some great answers!

good point about the plant being an annual frostqueen and clones taken from "late season" mothers may hold less vigor than those taken from younger plants
so is there a way to propagate without setting this biological clock forward ?
/would each series of clone advance the clock
you mention being able to reverse the cycle
have you posted about this before?

sorry if all this has been covered
i found this thread very interesting!

Last edited:

Wendull C.

Veteran
A breeder was telling me that clones that are re-cloned after a few generations degrade in quality and are more susceptible to disease and critters. I'd like to get more opinions.

Bullshit! I have many old cuttings on god knows what generation from seed. They are as strong and potent as they were 15 plus years ago when i got em.

I have seen clones in differrnt environments take on different traits, but that goes away when they are grown with the othets for a generation or two.

If that doesnt work put your mother in the sun far a couple months and clone it again. It revitalizes sick cuts imo.

frostqueen

very good stuff here and some great answers!

good point about the plant being an annual frostqueen and clones taken from "late season" mothers may hold less vigor than those taken from younger plants
so is there a way to propagate without setting this biological clock forward ?
/would each series of clone advance the clock
you mention being able to reverse the cycle
have you posted about this before?

sorry if all this has been covered
i found this thread very interesting!

As long as the plant has all of the key things to be healthy and vigorous the clock won't cause most genotypes to slow down at all. These include warm temperatures, humidity between 40%-60%, plenty of root space, plenty of light, a balanced nutritional diet.

Cloning itself doesn't seem to impact the biological clock to any great degree. The cutting goes into root production mode, then begins vegetative growth as soon as it can feed itself. The extent of the vigor seen relates directly to the state of health of the mother it was taken from. There is no loss of vigor from the cutting process unless the clone goes through major delays or abuse during rooting. Usually the leaves will yellow and the clone will just die rather than it surviving in a diminished state of health, though. I never keep these clones to avoid any problems. Take extras if this is a problem for you.

A similar problem is seen with genotypes that have a tendency to preflower a lot in the veg stage. I'm not talking so much about autoflower genos, but those that go part way and have a lot of pistils in veg. The technique for reversing that condition is the same as undudding or reversing vigor loss.

frostqueen

I have seen clones in differrnt environments take on different traits, but that goes away when they are grown with the othets for a generation or two.

Yes! This is totally normal. It is basically what phenotypical expression is: genotype affected by the environment the plant is grown in = phenotype. This can cause a temporary shift in expression of various traits, and usually reverses as soon as the environment changes again. This isn't so much degradation as it is a temporary expression shift.

A good example of this is growing under CMH lighting vs. HPS lighting. There is a subtle difference, and CMH can make plants mature a bit faster. The pistils can also go bright pink or red. Pretty odd. Another example would be hydro vs. soil.