What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MoonShiners

X

xavier7995

That moonshiners show was awful....but obviously entertaining enough that I watched, tickle was a good character. I laughed so damn hard at them picking a "runner" or whatever and basing it on the dude having a fast car to drive at night with no headlights or some other silly dukes of hazard criteria.

Mick

Veteran
Here in Australia the whole north is full of salt water crocs. They are a protected species, so no killing of any kind, and besides eating pets and the odd humun, we seem to co-exist well. They seem to be slowly moving south as the planet warms. A couple of years ago me and dog went swimming in a creek supposedly 500 k's south of croc country, only to be told the next day by a fisherman that he recently saw a 5 metre croc there.

DoubleTripleOG

Chemdog & Kush Lover Extraordinaire
ICMag Donor
I like watching most of the shows discussed in this thread, lol. The reason I like them, is because they are entertaining to me. Not because I think they are real, but because it's fun to laugh at how ridiculous some of the shit is , the writers make these people do. I also get a kick at sitting back and thinking hwo many people gobble this shit up, believing everything that happens is "real".

Green Squall

My dad is a collector of many things and a friend of his called him and told him that he had been approached by the producers of that show "American Pickers" to participate in an episode and that he thought my dad would be good on that show.
He told my dad the whole thing was scripted.
Staffers come in before the two main characters and go through all the "stuff" and find at least three items that will be sold and the price prearranged. They also know where the "great finds" are before they start filming. It's all bullshit and fake.

You know its fake because they never look at or acknowledge the camera crew. I mentioned this a pawn shop owner here and he said hes knows them. He claimed that they do randomly drive around, but probably less so now that the show has gained popularity.

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've never seen most of those shows..

But a few years ago I watched about a half dozen episodes of a really stupid show.
The one about those dickheads running a pawnshop in Las Vegas...

both Chumlee & Corey (Rick's son) ruin the show, aside from that I find it interesting enough with Rick & the 'old man' dealing across the counter.

I'd recently heard that Rick is getting ready to pull the plug on the show. Producers often ruin good shows by pushing the limits (Chum & Corey's stupid shit) in trying to tweak/amp up ratings, and that's exactly what's happened here.

Too bad Bud, the earlier episodes weren't all that bad, I always found it interesting the number of 'experts' they rely on locally to assess values of goods etc.......

shithawk420

Veteran
Rick and his son are pieces of straight up shit.I do watch the show.only cause I like antiques the way they lowball people is bogus.I like the old man and chumlee is not stupid.

Did you guys know Olivia is a Suicide Girl and married to a chick?that's why she got fired.

Green Squall

Rick and his son are pieces of straight up shit.I do watch the show.only cause I like antiques the way they lowball people is bogus.I like the old man and chumlee is not stupid.

Did you guys know Olivia is a Suicide Girl and married to a chick?that's why she got fired.

I still can't believe he has a room in his house called the "Chum Chum Room."

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

they do lowball a lot of shit, but nobody has to agree to their offer either, the wise walk away with their stuff in tow, those in need walk away with cash.

Nevada requires all pawn shops to hold all cash purchases for 30 days before being allowed to sell, in that time the lvpd searches those receipts trying to match up stolen goods which they have to eat if & when discovered.

Rick usually ante's up for the good stuff when pushed, although his fascination & attachment to championship rings borders on dementia.

igrowone

Veteran
they do lowball a lot of shit, but nobody has to agree to their offer either, the wise walk away with their stuff in tow, those in need walk away with cash.

by pawnshop standards, i'm thinking they're generous beyond belief
pawnshop rep was always crap from what i've heard, which isn't gospel
never heard of anyone personally having a good experience, though it might be the kind of thing you don't talk about

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran
by pawnshop standards, i'm thinking they're generous beyond belief
pawnshop rep was always crap from what i've heard, which isn't gospel
never heard of anyone personally having a good experience, though it might be the kind of thing you don't talk about

correct, bad experiences aren't shared too often due to embarrassment, I'm not shy though about warning others and sometimes hopefully how to come out ahead instead.

I was selling some gold, I had it weighed out by each K (10, 14, 18) and knew the exact value (daily spot) based on the K of the lot when I walked into the pawn shop I prefer to do business with, (I don't usually pawn, I buy) in Bemidji. The owner offered me exactly 1/2 of the value.

I was surprised by the low offer and asked Shawn if any of his customers walked in, slapped a $100 bill on the counter asking for a $50, and walking away, yeah he stood there speechless for a moment thinking. He then told me that he had to hold the gold for 30 days before selling/smelting it, the price could go down, I asked him that if the price went up would he give me more for it after those 30 days.

I told him I was selling the gold because I had some serious needs to meet, I got about 70% value when the deal was done. What didn't hurt was the fact that there were a pair of awesome quality Opal earrings, his wife's birthstone, she was eyeballing them hard sealing the deal. A well respected local jeweler had told me that they were the nicest he'd ever seen, but didn't buy used gold, I passed that info to Shawn & his lady @ the counter.

Some of what I sold to him that day was resalable for regular retail, he knew he was making out well, I knew I was lucky to have met my needs.

Be ready to confront that pawn broker, don't be a deer in the headlights.

I always thought it was funny how they would show them breaking the law making the shine, and then that one fucker decides he wants to go legit. how can he go legit when crimes are documented and recorded...obviously its all fake

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
And he probably made it with the money from the tv show and because he got famous there..

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Thing with Moonshine is you are allowed to make it in some states. For personal use of course. So if those guys were in one of those states , the show only had to buy some land, and no one would bother them. Because it's legal.

DoubleTripleOG

ICMag Donor
Not Federally.

Actually you can get a permit to make it at home. Two types of permits, the kind like Jack Daniels has, and the other is for fuel alcohol. The jack type permit I guess is harder to get, while the fuel type is free, and almost anyone can get.

You are correct in the sense that there is no federal statute allowing an individual to distil spitits for personal use. They just provide a grey area, so you can leave yourself just enough rope to hang yourself, lol.