What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

I have a 12-12 light cycle question.

#1cheesebuds

Veteran
I have been gradually adding 12 more minuts every 2 days lights off untill they end up on 12-12 down the road.
and by oct 31st they should be on full 12-12 light cycle.

I was told by my family thats a lot better than going to 12-12 right away because there is less of a chance of them going hermie. and that it will be more like what they do in the fall outdoors. so will just have to see how well this works out.

Is there anyt truth to this? or should I just go right into 12-12 cycle.

junior_grower

I have played with the gradual light reduction. I saw no gains in yield or potency. I would rather go straight to 12/12 and not waste the 3-4 weeks+.

supermanlives

Veteran
i have always gone to 12 /12 but only because i would mess up the cycle otherwise. i just know i would screw it up somehow especially with multiple grows. i dont get hermies much. i think some breeders just release hermie prone strains.

T

TribalSeeds

I have been gradually adding 12 more minuts every 2 days lights off untill they end up on 12-12 down the road.

I was told by my family thats a lot better than going to 12-12 right away because there is less of a chance of them going hermie. and that it will be more like what they do in the fall outdoors. so will just have to see how well this works out.

Thats gonna delay flowering or screw with veg time. One of the reasons youre growing indoors is to force them to do what you tell them to do and when you tell them to do it.
At the end I dont see any harm in reducing your lights to 11/13 or whatever. I just wouldnt delay flowering or reduce veg time by toying with the lights before the flip.
Ive never had a hermie and Ive made every mistake in the book. Just make sure your enviroment is dialed and there are no light leaks.

S

s00thsayer

I run perpetual so there are always plants at different stages in the flowering room and could never do this if I tapered down the light schedule gradually. Plant goes straight from veg mh light to a flowering schedule with hps light. Hermies i've had seem to be unstable genetics because they are usually seeds from questionable cheap seed banks....dutch passion, nirvana, greenhouse.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
This is a good way to assess if a plant will finish in your area outside. You get to see when the plant starts to bud and at what light regime along with with how long it takes to bud. Other than that I see no benefit. You think?

TGT

Either go straight to 12/12 or begin with a 24-48 hour dark period before the flip. If a plant hermies on you from this alone, cull it (as long as you're sure you have no light leaks or other issues which may have caused it to turn) and do not keep a clone. Keep the strong; kill the weak.

Latest posts

Latest posts