What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Recommend me a LED grow light

G

Guest 107167

I've been interested in growing with leds for a long time. I know that hydro-grow-led sell good lights, but I'd like to know, whether it's possible to get a bit cheaper light, but with almost same quality as HGL lights. I'm a micro grower, so I'm looking for about 60W-150W LED. Oh, and if someone has a good LED light (which hasn't been used for centuries and works fine) that he/she doesn't use anymore and wants to sell, then contact me :)

WasntMe

you get what you pay for.... cheap $ usually = cheap quality with LED .... look at side by side grows. Research is your friend in the LED world. good luck.

Motta-Tokka

leggirl = hydrogirl was a piece of shit that got banned from here. Spectra had something a while back that looked promising. You get LED's for growing and your getting a half ass made product.. Period. Check out the facts on businesses doing actual tests with them. There are none because they are expensive and the companies are just out for cash.

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
You want a Lumigrow 330 watt ES model you can order directly from their website now they also have a new smaller half size model. They grow trees, extremely well made and very effective. :canabis:

sanjuan

The Lumigrow 165 is essentially a 330 cut in half and is less than half the price. The LED circuit board is identical.

ft100

ICMag Donor
Veteran
why is the lumigrow better than the hydrogrowled? just wondering.......peace

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Because they kick some serious ass that's why! :party:

G

Guest 107167

Well, thank you for warning me about HGL lights. But the lumigrow 165W light is still too expensive for me... Could I get a good light somewhere for max 350$? I think that even 50W LED light would satisfy my needs, cause I grow in quite small cab. Wish I had more time to do in depth research about LED lights.

Seedling

Hey mate.

Im a micro grower as well and have a tri band UFO 90w led with bright lux lights and im very happy with it. I get about 120-130g of primo bud from a grow and that usually takes about 11 weeks from seed. I payed about 250Us including shipping for it.

Be careful when buy UFO led though as some are crap. Will try and get info on what seller I got mine from, should have it some were.
pis..

Hindica

You want a Lumigrow 330 watt ES model you can order directly from their website now they also have a new smaller half size model. They grow trees, extremely well made and very effective. :canabis:

Does that LED light put out the same amount of lumens (or more) than a 600W HPS?

Hindica

never mind, i read lol

A single LumiGrow LED 330 grow light can directly replace a 600 watt high pressure sodium (HPS). :)

sanjuan

Well, thank you for warning me about HGL lights. But the lumigrow 165W light is still too expensive for me... Could I get a good light somewhere for max 350$? I think that even 50W LED light would satisfy my needs, cause I grow in quite small cab. Wish I had more time to do in depth research about LED lights.
Kessil makes some interesting 30W (35W consumption) spot lights. A purple would do a full cycle grow two feet in diameter (supposedly), or a magenta for just flowering. Haven't seen it lower than $250 online. No grow reports except for hydro shops pimping their stores on video, growing basil or tomatoes.

Seems like a specialty light to me, might work well in a narrow tall(ish) cabinet. They have a pure red model that would likely team with my Procyon 100 for a flowering setup but I'm all ready to go with Lumigrow ES.

yesum

ICMag Donor
Veteran
The haight lights have a good rep, do not know about the one you linked. 90 watts is a little low for 2x2' imo. I have 126 watts with 55 watt pll in vertical for my 2x2'. I would choose a fan less unit(like the haight) if I had it to do again. Really, I would just do all pll's as they are cheaper.

I have hgl lights, they are quite good imo. I heard the owner was in some trouble tho.

A

ak-51

Kessil makes some interesting 30W (35W consumption) spot lights. A purple would do a full cycle grow two feet in diameter (supposedly)
I find this extremely unlikely. Doesn't really faze me however, since it seems like most if not all LED companies wildly overstate their lights abilities.

Right now I am running a 3x3 table with two LED units, both Hydro-Grow-LED brand. One is a rectangular 318w and the other is a square 345w. This seems like a good amount of light in there to me. The grow isn't finished and this is the first one I've done with this setup, but I can tell that it wouldn't work out with much less light. 2 of the 318w's would be a good size for me, but alas those two are the only two I have.

My Hydro-Grow-LED lights work. The worst thing I can say about the lights themselves is that a power supply went out on one of them. They sent me a new one and it was pretty easy to replace. The build quality could be better for something your paying so much for. I am unlikely to be buying any more if for no other reason than LEDgirl is an ass.

I will probably stay with LED lights though. The two brands I have been looking at the most are LumiGrow and StealthGrow. I like that LumiGrow's units are not just the same slightly tweaked version of 90% of the grow lights I have seen online. StealthGrow uses Cree brand LED's; big plus. I have time to do more research, so I'll be looking into them more.

Also, I don't think the cheapo Chinese no-name-brand units are necessarily a bad thing, you just have to understand what your getting. I may get some sometime to use for supplementary lighting.

Irie_Lion

Free up the Herbs....Let the Sacrament grow!
Veteran
if u use that as an example i can easily provide a link to a grow by the herbalizor with his 345 that harvested just under a pound recently in a 30x30 area....Also some other members on here such as VG consistently get good results using the hgl lights. So its not a matter of them not working as much as some growers skill level/methods.

Kessil makes some interesting 30W (35W consumption) spot lights. A purple would do a full cycle grow two feet in diameter (supposedly), or a magenta for just flowering. Haven't seen it lower than $250 online. No grow reports except for hydro shops pimping their stores on video, growing basil or tomatoes.

Seems like a specialty light to me, might work well in a narrow tall(ish) cabinet. They have a pure red model that would likely team with my Procyon 100 for a flowering setup but I'm all ready to go with Lumigrow ES.
Ive seen these lights at the local shops recently and decided to look them up for pricing when i got home the other day. LIke u said 250 seems to be the avg price. They would prob work well as supplemental lighting to an existing led setup or even hid. The video they show growin the tomatoe/basil has quite a few hangin in the tent. That many would def add up in $$$ quik. If the price comes down some and i have extra $ to play with in the near future i might get a cpl to try out. I like that they have the diff spectrums too. Good vibez SJ....if u find any groWS with them post them up in here i'd like to check'em out too.

Last edited:

SOTF420

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Save up some money and get the big Lumigrow 330 or at least their 165 watt one you can thank me later with your bounty of nugs and some nice pics for us to all look at. :canabis:

sanjuan

I'm less impressed by Kessil after reading their official forum at monorad.com. Looks like a grow diameter of 20" for one thing. (Although, from the photo it was a prototype model that they used.)

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
never mind, i read lol

A single LumiGrow LED 330 grow light can directly replace a 600 watt high pressure sodium (HPS). :)

i havent tried that light personally. ive used the HG LED's with good success,

but i would be wary of any manufacturers claims at equivalency to HPS. they may be over optimistic. unless there are peeps pulling over 2g/watt from that model?

my conclusions so far are that LED's, watt for watt actually used, are around 20% more efficient yield wise than HPS

VG