What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

manipulating the light cycle..curious...

!PeAcE!

I was just vaping here and had a thought, what if you extended the light period from seeding (for the plant to get used to it) to a 14 hours on and 14 hours off light schedule, what would that produce? It would also alow you to bounce around the times when you draw this power (for your grow) only if this idea makes sense...or cant fight mother nature?

Hank Hemp

Veteran
I've got a idea. Give it a try and get back to us. No sorry for being a dick. It would most likely well not most likely but will induce flowering.

727JoN

depends on the strain hank. some strains need at LEAST eleven hours, while some of course even need the full 12 before the hormone to trigger flowering is released.

!PeAcE!

like sort of growing bud in a lighting environment that doesn't exist on earth a 14 hour day and 14 night regiment i wonder what that would yield

reckon

depends on the strain hank. some strains need at LEAST eleven hours, while some of course even need the full 12 before the hormone to trigger flowering is released.

there is no "release"

the hormone is ALWAYS present in the plant, and is de-activated by LIGHT.

more hours of lights OFF, means the hormone level rises, and at a certain point (different with each strain), flowering is triggered.

even just a flash of light in the middle of the dark period will de-activate the flowering hormone, which is why light leaks OVER 3 LUMENS, can cause delays, or hermie weirdness.

727JoN

there is no "release"
more hours of lights OFF, means the hormone level rises, and at a certain point (different with each strain), flowering is triggered.

do you understand what triggered means? or what happens when something is triggered?

florigen is transcripted into FT(flowering locusT) once a certain period of darkness is achieved..but it all starts with a CO protein which first turns into florigen, so there is actually lots of different hormones being released, and triggered, all around the same time.

City Twin

I once split light timing thus -

7 days x 24 hours / 5 = 33.6 per cycle. 33 hours and 36 min.

33.6 / 5 = 6.72 time sections Allot 2 sections for dark and 3 for light.

20.16 light x 13.44 dark, Rounded in min 20:00 hours on and 13:36 off.

The plants went ape, growing measurably every light cycle. Throwing red and white hairs for several weeks till finally blowing hermie overnight. Allowed to go till seeds began dropping. Seeds were planted randomly in the woods the next season, for an abundance of mostly female pickins come fall.

M

m00nchild

The only light manipulation I've read about before (and I can't find a link right now, though I wish I could!) that seemed worthwhile, and possibly even beneficial, was a grower who ran 8 hours on, 12 hours off. The shorter photoperiod caused the plants to grow smaller, but they also ripened faster, and this gave him an extra 1 or 2 harvests per year.

I can see using this method with clones in SOG, packing them in tightly. But then, of course, with these plant numbers you open yourself to federal prosecution, so, probably not worth it.

*mistress*

Veteran
this may be helpful. math included:

16/12 cycle

flowering can be induced under 15/9... generally, can turn down light by 15-30min/day to find ea cultivars critical flowering dark period. most usually show pre-flower @ 9-10hr dark.

168hrs per wk...

6*16=96
6*12=72

96+72=168 hrs per week. which can be divided few manners.

reckon

do you understand what triggered means? or what happens when something is triggered?

florigen is transcripted into FT(flowering locusT) once a certain period of darkness is achieved..but it all starts with a CO protein which first turns into florigen, so there is actually lots of different hormones being released, and triggered, all around the same time.

you get one of these people in every thread, they just like to try and fish for an argument.

my you have a big brain! and wow, look how smart you are using all those fancy big words!!

yes, I understand flowering bio-chem, very well, thank you for caring.

the POINT is: the hormone level rises, there is no sudden production of a certain flowering hormone in cannabis (I wasn't trying to show off (like you are), just trying to correct a myth, is the another point)

but I'lll be sure to tell my old aggie professor up at UCD, I'm sure he'll get a chuckle out of this, we had 4 of you guys in class one year,......

thanks for playing