What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The future of indoor growing??

!PeAcE!

http://www.sunwindproducts.com/Products/SolarandWindKits/120wattRVkit.html

This solar kit seems that it would run a 2000watt grow no problem. If this is true this 700 bucks for the kit would certainly pay for itself in a few months no? would this work if in sunny climates?

I listed this kit because it seems to be the cheapest most reliable for the beginner that doesn't know too much about solar. But I did the research and math and its wayy cheaper to build the solar cels yourself and its very easy! if you know how to solder.

Japanfreakier

Veteran
Something doesn't seem right. Everytime I've read about solar power they always says it takes years to break even.

!PeAcE!

Something doesn't seem right. Everytime I've read about solar power they always says it takes years to break even.

well the numbers for a HOUSE unit is crazy but with the rebates today it brings it way down, but a setup like the one i posted the link for is for the hobbyist or someone living in a rv its meant for its simplicity and cost effectiveness. the only thing that will cost you is the batteries a new deep cycle bat will be 100 bucks, might need 4 batteries but other than the the system WILL pay for itself within a year.

I recently was pricing solar systems and $700 for 2000+ watts is not real. There is a catch somewhere in that system and it also does not include a battery system which you would want to for no sun days.

You can google up solar panels and see the prices of real arrays and arrays you can put together yourself and the price for the Sun Wind array is just unbelievable.

!PeAcE!

so to build an effective system sounds to me like you will need more batteries? (well anyways I am in the middle of building a system from scratch even the solar arrays themselfs, when I get it up and running and work out the kinks I can discuss what interesting things i learn along the way. I thought it would be awesome to perhaps maybe even just run the stuff like the fans and pumps off the 700$ solar kit and just run the lights off the house power and gradually add and build to the kit as time goes on...Im doin it! lol nothing would be cooler than ultimately growing for free....best four letter word in the dictionary...OOOPS my bad i first WEED then FREE haahahaha and then they both go together as the best saying "FREE WEED" hahahaha lol keeps getting better and better.

!PeAcE!

Optimum Operating Current(lmp) 4.81A

A 1000w HPS draws about 9 amps

That rating is for its live power, I am refering to charging a battery bank and running the lights off that and charging them back up during the day. I realize off the solar alone you cant run a 1k bulb but charging batteries with this kit enables you to do A LOT MORE. it looks like 1200 bucks (buy an extra solar panel and run two to charge about 4-5 golf kart batteries) will give you a fully operational solar system to run 2k watts.

D

danimal7

LOL ....this thread cracks me up ....

A typical 6-volt golf cart battery will store about 1 kilowatt-hour of useful energy (6 volt X 220 amp-hr X 80% discharge = 1056 watt-hours). Since this would only power two 50-watt incandescent lamps for 10 hours (2 X 50 X 10 = 1000 watt-hours)

about $5K in batts I would say to run 2K hps for 10hrs ..... but you will need more solar panels

ask anyone who has used solar in a house and the will quickly tell you it aint practically doable .

!PeAcE!

Yea I was doing a lot of thinking and it seems the only way solar is REALLY practical is if you go all out and get the full system and even go overboard with like a 9kw system it seems more practical these days with all the rebates they offer takes away almost 75% of the cost. Plus not only will i make power i will make money buy selling power back to the power company

voxberry

I MUST say something about this !

I think you would need a LOT of batteries and a LOT of solar panels, BUT !!!!
I think you SHOULD consider WATER MOTORS ... they work on water :) . I think that will be the future FOR SURE ! AND a water motor would work in a hidden place, without any sunlight .

just my opinion .

peace !

U

unthing

Unless I understood something wrong the ad says 120 watt solar panel, which seems pretty standard product that I've seen marketed for boats and summer cottages and other small offgrid situations. Maybe it can power a fridge or tv, but beyond that too expensive.

I could be and love to be wrong and a breakthrough is waiting, but for now, solar stuff is useful warming your water.

Edit: well, powering microgrow is a possibility

LOL ....this thread cracks me up ....

A typical 6-volt golf cart battery will store about 1 kilowatt-hour of useful energy (6 volt X 220 amp-hr X 80% discharge = 1056 watt-hours). Since this would only power two 50-watt incandescent lamps for 10 hours (2 X 50 X 10 = 1000 watt-hours)

about $5K in batts I would say to run 2K hps for 10hrs ..... but you will need more solar panels

ask anyone who has used solar in a house and the will quickly tell you it aint practically doable .

I figured there would be someone on here who understands electricity.

Even if my boiler is fueled by tires?

LOL!

!PeAcE!

I MUST say something about this !

I think you would need a LOT of batteries and a LOT of solar panels, BUT !!!!
I think you SHOULD consider WATER MOTORS ... they work on water :) . I think that will be the future FOR SURE ! AND a water motor would work in a hidden place, without any sunlight .

just my opinion .

peace !

I like the sound of this did some research and am finding some interesting stuff. thanks for the tip!

gdtrfb

have you seen my lighter?
ICMag Donor
Veteran
this is one of those things were i just can't over the initial logic to even contemplate the specifics.

i want to turn the suns rays into energy to run lights that mimic...the suns rays.

i know just cutting out the middleman and using skylights isn't exactly secure, but...damn, that's a lot of effort that starts off making use of what you want, only to turn it into a mimic of what you want. it is what you want to begin with, lol.

!PeAcE!

I think a solar powered steam turbine using a fresnel lens or lenses would be fairly easy to setup. Would just need a cheap or free water supply to make it pay over time. Oh yeah and direct sunlight many days a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGtA8E5iw3k

At 1:27 they show how easy and quickly it will boil water

Yea I am going to check it out, I was also thinking of a recirculating micro hydro turbine setup (using a pump running off the generated power, so like a battery start.), I figure that could be good for about 1500watts. I liked the video I have seen almost all of their videos, I loved watching all of them
peace