What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Secret Jardin Grow Lab Club! Wattage doesn't matter!

slowandeasy

Veteran
Hey Thunder,
Is your DR80 100 percent light proof? Looking at getting a tent, and the DR80 is the perfect size. Is there anything about it you do not like? Thanks!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Not a damn thing bro!!!! I LOVE my tent! The only light that comes through is if the zipper isn't all the way or through the vents on the bottoms that have flaps that velcro above the vents so you can have em open or closed.....

slowandeasy

Veteran
Not a damn thing bro!!!! I LOVE my tent! The only light that comes through is if the zipper isn't all the way or through the vents on the bottoms that have flaps that velcro above the vents so you can have em open or closed.....

Why do the vents on the bottom leak light? I need it 100 percent lightproof, and good airflow. Also, it has 5 inch outtake right? Kinda stupid size, but no big deal...just need reducers. Oh yeah, any suggestions on where to buy? Thanks! BTW, looking good! How are you liking the HPS?

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
They leak light cuz I have the flaps open! close them and it's light proof I just like fresh air to be brought in from the vents creating negative pressure in the tent..

slowandeasy

Veteran
So, is there a way to keep good airflow with out light leaks? Ideally a set it and forget it flap. I do not want to have to shut it before darktime everyday. It has to be 100 percent lightproof for the room it will be in. Thanks for the advice!!

It has 3 5 inch light proof intakes right? Then the flaps are extra airlfow, but not light proof? 3 5 inch intakes is plenty for intake for the fan, should work well.

indicameds

The title of the thread confuses me a bit. Secret jardin doesnt make a grow lab. home box does though..hahaha. Naw im just fuckin around. A buddy has a few of the Dark rooms and they impressed me so much I decided to switch to tents. I opted for the grow labs from home box though. No reason at all just wanted to see the difference in the two since i had a DR to compare it to. They are schedueled for delivery tuesday. Ill get some pics up in the thread around thanks giving or a day or two after depending on when I get time to set up my lights in em. That is if the grow labs are allowed in the thread...hahaha.

Take it easy guys, Im subscribed
and all the shit is looking primo..
thundurkel: Ive watched what you can do with cfls in small spaces, its gonna be quite the show to see what goes on in that tent. Rep has been left..
Stay high and stay safe guys..

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Thanks bro! It's for Grow Lab and Secret Jardin tents hahaha I guess I forgot about Home Box lol from what my buddy says and he has a Grow Lab 200? I don't it's fucking big and has 2 1ks in it air cooled and has room for 32 3 gal pots in 2x4 trays I think he used 4 trays with 8 pots per tray but yea he says Grow Lab and Secret Jardins are damn near the same when he came and saw my DR80 he thought it was way smaller and was shocked when he got here hahaha

indicameds

I thought homebox made growlabs but the site I ordered my GL's from didnt even mention homebox as being the manufaturer. But I hope there on par with the home box and SJ dark rooms. The local grow shop carries the original homeboxes and they seem pretty sturdy. And my buddies SJ dark rooms are flawless. I guess ill find out on tuesday. And I was just fuckin with ya on the title man, im a typical stoner and point out useless shit all the time...hahaha.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
hahahah no worries dude I'm the same the way haha yea bro Grow Labs are damn near the same and Dark Rooms that's why I made the thread for the 2 of them forgetting the Home Box....

As for the light proof vents, right now my room has sunlight hitting the curtains and there is light leaking outta my cabs in the closet.. My DR80 is in the corner of my room with all 3 of the flaps open and they are too hard to reach to close every night which I was worried about but looking in from the top while dark I see no light coming in down there and it's dark as fuck in that thing! The mesh covering the vents is reflective too and like stated before there are 3 5" intake ports 2 below and 1 up top for exhaust...

Laventille

Yeah I'm curious too. Why did ppl choose the dr60/80/100/etc?

It was an easy decision man. My ds60 is in a gap 605mm wide. :joint:
There is room for 4-6 18" plants. Light-tight security is not a necessity for me and the street version has proved capable of providing a dark period.

The biggest compromise made to the street version is, I feel, the reflective coating. A sheet of mylar in the crucial areas works wonders; with so much of it lying around I couldn't resist.
Would anyone comment on how they find the dr version in this respect?

The ds is superb value but may be just too flimsy for secret squirrels.

I went with the 60 for the same reason as Laventille, space restriction.

Did any other small DR user go with an oversized fan? The 5 inch ducts really did a number on me, because I have a filter with a 6 inch flange, and 6 inch ducting.

Does anyone have a more elegant solution to this dilemma than this:

problem-duct.jpg

problem-duct-2.jpg

I have been unable to find any 6-5 reducers locally, only 6-4 :(

Strainbrain

Chairman of the Joint Chiefs
Veteran
If you don't want to reduce to 4" and stick with that inside the tent, you could always pair up a couple of 6-4's and just make a little 'neck' to fit through the hole. I know it's not ideal from an airflow perspective but it's clean and simple. I wondered about those 5" holes too... I went with a 4" fan, thankfully, but really... why 5"?

Oh, hey... maybe you could use a large-ish plastic funnel and cut it down into a 6-5 reducer?

-s

slowandeasy

Veteran
Will the 3 5 inch holes be enough to cool it? It should, with proper fan power. Really will not be possible to open flaps on a regular basis. Are the 5 inch vents totally light proof? Hey Bork Bork Bork, maybe you could try the PVC section of HD or Lowes, they might have a 5 to 6 inch.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Well like I said I have my flaps open at all times and have no light leaking in but I can see the orange glow and I don't have a intake fan I mean I have a nice lil 6" Cool Breeze fan on the floor next to a vent and it's pointed at my light and then my hood isn't sealed but it's air cooled so that's my exhaust which is my 4" 177CFM Vortex and I use a 4"x12" Odorsok filter and so far it's working good!

indicameds

Hows the smell when you open the tent? I mean is the tent stinkin inside but the odor sock keepin it in? I thought of gettin a odor sock because of the price. But always voted against it since i havent seen to many of them used.

If you don't want to reduce to 4" and stick with that inside the tent, you could always pair up a couple of 6-4's and just make a little 'neck' to fit through the hole. I know it's not ideal from an airflow perspective but it's clean and simple. I wondered about those 5" holes too... I went with a 4" fan, thankfully, but really... why 5"?

Oh, hey... maybe you could use a large-ish plastic funnel and cut it down into a 6-5 reducer?

-s

Will the 3 5 inch holes be enough to cool it? It should, with proper fan power. Really will not be possible to open flaps on a regular basis. Are the 5 inch vents totally light proof? Hey Bork Bork Bork, maybe you could try the PVC section of HD or Lowes, they might have a 5 to 6 inch.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Any worries about off-gassing with PVC? I'm guessing not, that's what people use to build hydro setups out of, right?

I'll check Lowes, see if I can find anything that will work.

RE: Odorsok, guys, be aware, I don't think I've read a GOOD review on that product yet. General consensus seems to be: avoid. :(

slowandeasy

Veteran
PVC pipe should be fine, kinda different than Tent pvc. Personally I think if you make a few calls to some heating and cooling places, you could find a 5 to 6 reducer. I bought some at home depot or lowes a long time ago. Good luck

Latest posts

Latest posts