What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Secret Jardin Grow Lab Club! Wattage doesn't matter!

JamieShoes

Father, Carer, Toker, Sharer
Veteran
So... clip fan or no clip fan? If so what speed what height?

I'm thinking of using clip fans in mine... the idea is that I'll use 3 at different heights but in the same direction... I'll let you know how I get on :)

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Yea I plan to get a clip fan too so I can have a lil more air flow going on not that I have heat problems but I could always get the plants closer to the light with out it being burned...

sednal

Wow that is a real nice setup that guys has, but like previously stated, who the hell can afford that!! and BTW Thurdunkel, I promise i wont post any pics of the HomeBox in here! It's actually still lin the shipping box and i prolly wont even set it up until the spring time to start the outdoors in. And as far as the clip fans go, there pretty weak power wise but helps to circulate air, especially in a small tent.

Nice stuff FunkBomb

Mist

I have an unusual fan that I use in my tent. From my work in the computer industry I have picked up all kinds of equipment and this particular fan array has been hanging around waiting for me to find a use for it. It is a server rack fan and since most racks I have built came with one make for that particular rack setup I just never needed it. But I never threw it away because I knew I would come across a use sooner or later.
It has six 180mm fans and runs on 110 so it just needed to be plugged in and the wind blows like hell. I use it to draw air from underneath the cannopy and it works great and really draws the air down, around and out from under the plants. I just leaned it up against the end bucket and it has worked great. Dead humid air underneath the plant canopy just invites all kinds of nasties like bugs and mold and with the confines of a tent this fan is a blessing.

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Wow that fan is AWESOME I have 2 AC Axial fans that take care of my CFL cab and the push 110CFMs each! Only $18 each and 4 of them in a setup like that would be the shit! that's 440CFMs for under $100! Just something to think about cuz my 4" Vortex doesn't blow much harder than those do...

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I'm thinking of using clip fans in mine... the idea is that I'll use 3 at different heights but in the same direction... I'll let you know how I get on :)

ive used this same method.
3 (or 4) fans placed to force the air "around, and up" the tent. constantly running.

in a 3 fan setup...

1st fan, pot height (below the canopy)
2nd fan, just above the canopy (adjust as needed)
3rd fan, just above the 2nd fan,and between the light/canopy, pointed upwards.

basically create an upward moving "whirlwind" or "vortex" is what we're getting at here..... also, youre pushing the warm air from under the lamp upwards, and at the same time, creating negative pressure drawing fresh air IN from the bottom of your tent. (where air is cooler)

ive also used a 4 clip fan setup as well.
down low in the tent (about pots level/under canopy), on all four corners, pointed upwards.

works good too.

if its a setup youre thinking of using, i could give it a good review. if that helps, at all. personally i like the versatility of the clip fans. theyre cheap, light, and can be placed anywhere needed; much easier than larger type (18" and up) fans. clip ons are a great addition, imo, to "smaller" tent style setups.

on a side note:
one thing you want to look for in the clip ons......
when running, obviously, they vibrate...... and some cheaper fans have cheap wing nuts, or similar, setups that constantly come loose; because plastic and metal don't mix real well. make sure your fans have good, sturdy fasteners (and clips), or you'll wake up and all your fans will be pointing down. minor inconvenience, but redirecting and refastening them gets aggrevating over time and our girls dont need aggrevation in their vicinity ;)

:joint:

rock on fellow tentsters.

-cap

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
picture.php

Here we are at day 5 of flowering yesterday and damn are they growing fast
in there I just want to get the Sun Pulse bulbs to use with my digital ballast since my only gripe about HID was there weren't any 2700K-3000K HPS bulbs but now we have em! I'm so stoked about this shit :joint:

sednal

I got a lumatec HPS/MH digital ballast can i run those bulbs too Thundurkel? and if so let me know what bulb u plan on getting. Your far more experienced in this whole light spectrum thing than me, as this only being my second indoor grow. I been doing outdoors for about 10 years or so and never really had to worry about that kinda stuff.

And My Big Buds are at day 46 of flower ill show some pics tonight. Two are starting to look real close to the chop, another good week prolly

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Well Sednal yes they will work! I'm going to post the article for you all to read about them but I'm looking at the 4000K bulb since I already have a 2100K and a 10000K I should be able to mimic what the Sun Pulse system does...

Sednal - Damn you got 10yrs of outdoor growing under your belt? That passes me up by 8yrs!!! When you grow indoor just copy that sun as best as you can at least that's what I've learned and that's why my CFL buds look so damn good cuz the spectrum is closer to what the sun puts out...

sednal

yeah i can honestly say the first time i grew outdoors was 10 years ago, although it was quite pathetic lol. since then ive done alot of sun mapping and land graphing to find the best suitable spots available to me and am just getting those spots dialed in now. had lots of problems over the years but thats what makes us better growers.

So your going to be switching your bulbs in and out at certain times Thundurkel? Since i have a glass gasketed hood and its air cooled i really dont have easy access into my hood to be able to switch the bulbs out, without un-tapping the ducting from the hood. What do you think the best spectrum bulb would be to have in there? im not sure what K rating my HPS is...

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Ok so I thought I'd bring some life to the thread! I'm on day 8 today and they will be getting hit with the new light I put in which is a PlantMax 400w HPS with added Blue and Violet since you know I can't just run a plain ol 2100K HPS with no blue in it!!! Then as we all know it's going to be the 10000K MH for the last 2 weeks and my Thunder Goo is a frosty bitch as it is under CFLs so I can't wait to see what she does when all the UVB from that MH hit her!!!

picture.php

Day 7 shot
picture.php

Bubba Kush x Blue Moonshine getting big
picture.php

Thunder Goo bush at 7 days I got a feeling I might see a few zips from her possibly...

G

good drown

i plan on getting a dr 120 to act as my veg room. i have a hydrofarm radiant 6" AC reflector and a lumatek 400 digital ballast. i will be using a hortilux blue bulb.
what do you guys suggest for cooling and odor control. i understand there is not much odor in veg, but i cant have any odor.
i was planning on getting a valueline 6" fan and a special 38 can 50 filter. i know its overkill, especially for veg, but i have a speed controller, and i plan to use the tent to hang dry my buds.
my flower room is 2 600's cooled by a vortex 8, and odor controlled by a special 38 cam 100

Aaaah, the DR-60, the tent so nice I bought it twice!

It's the only tent (besides an ebay one) that I could find that would fit in my 2 foot deep closet!

After my first run, I wanted to go perpetual, so DR-60 #2 was purchased and set up.

Right now, I'm running the exhaust outlet in the veg tent passively as one of the intakes in the flower tent. This is working....less than ideally. It barely receives any negative pressure in the veg tent. I'm currently only using one bulb in my T5 array, because I'm trying to get clones to root, so I don't know how it will handle the additional heat of
3-7 more bulbs. I -may- get a 5 inch S&P w/ homemade carbon filter, and simply exhaust that tent into the closet. I'm still hoping to be able to avoid that though.

5 in vents, wtffffff... Sucks so bad. I finally found 5inch ducting, at HD. However, it was only available insulated, and that was a lot of bulk to deal with, so my dumb ass decided to take the entire 25' duct out, and strip off the insulation.

Immediately after finishing, I realize that the duct itself is translucent.

/facepalm

Pro-tip: 6 inch ducting CAN be forced through, but it'll get squoze reeeal good, and the process of getting it through SUCKS bigtime. I have a 6in carbon filter mounted in my tent, and had to force 6in ducting through the top exhaust vent. Getting that duct through without ripping the tent, and mounting it to the filter took probably a good hour and a half, two hours. SUCKS BIGTIME!

And I had to do it twice, though I probably got it done in an hour the second time.

Other than the 5in ducts, love love love these tentss!

P.S. CRAP! Totally forgot!

Found a perfect fitting tray for the DR-60! I used to take the plants out of the tent for waterings to prevent making a mess. Now I just wanter in the tent, and the runoff goes to the front, and suck it up with a turkey baster (though I'd love a better method).

Will probably take the girls out weekly or so to clean the trays. I'm assuming this is necessary to prevent mold?

Anyways, it's the 22x22x7 trays on this page: http://www.4hydro.com/hydroponics/whitePropTray.asp

sednal

little update

little update

Thurdunkel- Awesome man, excited to see how that bulb works out for ya, may be the leading factor in my new bulb decision.

Heres alittle update of my Sensi Seed Big Buds at day 49 of 12/12.
In the flush now.

Attachments

• PB150105.jpg
    PB150105.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 15
  • PB150106.jpg
    PB150106.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 13
  • PB150107.jpg
    PB150107.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 13
  • PB150116.jpg
    PB150116.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 14

sednal

couple more

Attachments

• PB150127.jpg
    PB150127.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 15
  • PB150117.jpg
    PB150117.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 21
  • PB150124.jpg
    PB150124.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 16
  • PB150118.jpg
    PB150118.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 16

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
Since when did Big Bud turn purple on the sugar leaves? That shit looks nice bro! As for my bulb it's nothing too special but it's supposedly just as good as a Hortilux Super HPS with added blue and violet wavelengths just a 3rd of the price hahaha It's a nice bulb compared to what I had I mean you could hear the metal pieces in the bulb clank together which was kinda scary to me lol This PlantMax HPS is all solid and well built and when you look at the light at the right angle which is having the bulb's bottom half in view but the arc blocked by the reflector and I can see the blue and purple light which I didn't see in the other one so it should be good and for $30 I'm happy... It's also brighter than what I had which only put out 45,000 lumens and this one is 55,000!!

Thundurkel

Just Call me Urkle!!
Veteran
SICK!!! I love this shit! My girls are growing fast and are on day 9 of flower so they still have another week of stretch in my experience with these strains so I think I have at least 8 oz off 12 plants wouldn't you think?