What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Yield of larger vs smaller spools

Fatturtle

Just starting making bho with a closed loop system
and been practicing with 1.5 inch spools to learn on.

Will be looking to upgrade to probably a 3 inch by 48 inch or even a 4 inch by 48 inch system soon.

Just wondering if the yields stays the same when you move to a larger diameter spool. Seem that the
larger the spool the harder it would be for the butane
to reach all of the material.

So for those of you that have move up in size,
did you notice a change in your yield?

Thanx

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Just starting making bho with a closed loop system
and been practicing with 1.5 inch spools to learn on.

Will be looking to upgrade to probably a 3 inch by 48 inch or even a 4 inch by 48 inch system soon.

Just wondering if the yields stays the same when you move to a larger diameter spool. Seem that the
larger the spool the harder it would be for the butane
to reach all of the material.

So for those of you that have move up in size,
did you notice a change in your yield?

Thanx

The LPG likes to find the easy way out down the center, so if you go to larger spools, efficiency does drop. I suggest that you not go larger than 4" and that you use a spray head for the top.

I typically flood around two volumes from the bottom and rinse with one volume from the top.

I wouldn't go longer than 36", because to adequately wash the tail end of the column, you have to overwash the front end.

Sriley28

The LPG likes to find the easy way out down the center, so if you go to larger spools, efficiency does drop. I suggest that you not go larger than 4" and that you use a spray head for the top.

I typically flood around two volumes from the bottom and rinse with one volume from the top.

I wouldn't go longer than 36", because to adequately wash the tail end of the column, you have to overwash the front end.

Hey GW, quick question for you. I’ve heard you refer to volumes in a few post now and just wanted some clarification. If it was a 2lb run which would be 12lbs of solvent roughly? Would you do 2 4lbs wash from below and 1 from the top? Or would each volume be 12lbs? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, just try to get a better understanding.

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Hey GW, quick question for you. I’ve heard you refer to volumes in a few post now and just wanted some clarification. If it was a 2lb run which would be 12lbs of solvent roughly? Would you do 2 4lbs wash from below and 1 from the top? Or would each volume be 12lbs? Sorry if it’s a dumb question, just try to get a better understanding.

When I speak of volumes, I'm speaking of the internal volume of the columns that you are using.

Different mixes have different weights per cubic inch, which is why I don't use weights.

I introduce LPG from the bottom, and when it runs out the top, that is one volume.

If that took 1 minute, then two minutes is ostensibly two volumes.

Water weighs .0361 lbs per cubic inch, and n-Butane has a specific gravity of .601, so one cubic inch of butane weighs .0261 X .601=.0216961 lbs per cubic inch.

When planning, I ASSume the column full of plant material only holds about 80% LPG, after it soaks into the material.

At a ratio of 3.8 grams per cubic inch material density, 2 lbs of material would occupy 239 cubic inches. That would require 239 X 3 X .80 X .0216961 =12.44 lbs.

Sriley28

When I speak of volumes, I'm speaking of the internal volume of the columns that you are using.

Different mixes have different weights per cubic inch, which is why I don't use weights.

I introduce LPG from the bottom, and when it runs out the top, that is one volume.

If that took 1 minute, then two minutes is ostensibly two volumes.

Water weighs .0361 lbs per cubic inch, and n-Butane has a specific gravity of .601, so one cubic inch of butane weighs .0261 X .601=.0216961 lbs per cubic inch.

When planning, I ASSume the column full of plant material only holds about 80% LPG, after it soaks into the material.

At a ratio of 3.8 grams per cubic inch material density, 2 lbs of material would occupy 239 cubic inches. That would require 239 X 3 X .80 X .0216961 =12.44 lbs.
You should be teaching extraction classes if your not already! l wouldn’t think twice about paying to take a class from you. A big THANK YOU for spending your time spreading your knowledge to guys like me still learning the tricks of the trade!

Latest posts

Latest posts