What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Plant waxes

Gray Wolf

A Posse ad Esse. From Possibility to realization.
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More research to share from The Alchemist Resource.

I attempted to post the whole thang, but alas it scrambles the format. You can find the article at: https://thealchemistresource.thealchemistresource.com/p/normal-0-false-false-false_13.html

Don't forget to remove the s in https.

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
To summarize the article, plant waxes are not one size molecule, but a mixture of molecules from about C-20 to about C-34. They are alcohols, aldehydes, and fatty acids, so are both polar and non polar.

SkyHighLer

Got me a stone bad Mana
ICMag Donor
Veteran
More research to share from The Alchemist Resource.

I attempted to post the whole thang, but alas it scrambles the format. You can find the article at: https://thealchemistresource.thealchemistresource.com/p/normal-0-false-false-false_13.html

Don't forget to remove the s in https.

You left a gap in the link,

1. Click on the link.

2. It will take you to a bad web page.

3. Then click in the address bar and use backspace to remove the s in https and the link should work.

https://thealchemistresource.thealchemistresource.com/p/normal-0-false-false-false_13.html

Plant Waxes

Plant waxes are the protective cover between the plant cells and their environment, by which they regulate their water loss, and protect themselves from the environment.

When we speak of plant waxes, it is usually as if it were a single compound, but a deeper look reveals that it is a mixture of simple Alkanes, Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Fatty Acids, ranging from 20 carbon chains, to about 34.

To put them into perspective, the well known Carnauba (C30 H62 O) and Candelilla (C31 H64 O) plant waxes are C-30 and C-31 molecules respectively. About the same consistency as bees wax, and denser than (C16 H34 O) ear wax.

Table #1 (see attached screenshots)

I've not found an analysis of cannabis plant waxes, but looking at plant waxes in general, here is a breakdown of what is in the waxes from the leaves of the xxxx plant, giving perspective as to the mixture:

Table #2 (see attached screenshots)

Notice that it is no longer an issue of non polar plant waxes, as only the Alkane molecules are non polar.

Molecular weights also become an issue, when you are talking about processes like SCFE CO2, where molecular weights above about 400 g/mol are mostly insoluble.

Looking at C-30 Carnauba wax for instance as CH3(CH2)28CH2OH or simplified as C30H62O, it has a molecular weight of about 438.8127 g/mol. https://www.webqc.org/molecular-weight-of-CH3(CH2)28CH2OH.html

Table #3 (see attached screenshots)

That suggests of course that those molecules smaller than about C-27 will have a molecular weight below 400 g/mol, so are readily extracted by SCFE CO2 as well.

Here are some interesting reads on plant waxes:
Biology of the plant cuticle:

https://books.google.com/books?id=q...annabis plant wax chemical properties&f=false

Leaf cuticular waxes are arranged in chemically and mechanically distinct layers: evidence from Prunus laurocerasus L.
https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1365-3040.2000.00581.x/full

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 7.48.57 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 7.48.57 AM.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 7.49.17 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 7.49.17 AM.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 7.49.34 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-11-13 at 7.49.34 AM.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
Very interesting stuff GW!

"Plant waxes are the protective cover between the plant cells and their environment, by which they regulate their water loss, and protect themselves from the environment. When we speak of plant waxes, it is usually as if it were a single compound, but a deeper look reveals that it is a mixture of simple Alkanes, Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Fatty Acids, ranging from 20 carbon chains, to about 34."

Perhaps you or others could go into a little detail about how alcohol interacts with the waxy cell walls of the trichome. Does it only dissolve a portion (from Alkanes, Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Fatty Acids interaction) of outer shell thereby creating in essence a bunch of small holes to release and extract cannabinoids and terpenoids inside?

I have used filtered dry ice hash on multiple occasions to make shatter, and most of the trichome matter remains after -50C etoh extraction. Does temperature effect the ability of alcohol to interact with the Alkanes, Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Fatty Acids?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
I ask for general knowledge to understand my etoh processes better and also to see if there is a practical application to purposely "punch small holes" in the waxy trichome walls in order to release terpenes for extraction while not damaging cannabinoids, which will be extracted in a subsequent process. Could a fine mist of alcohol sprayed on separated trichomes help to volatilize terpenes during sublimation or evaporation under vacuum?

Thanks!

WFF

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Very interesting stuff GW!

"Plant waxes are the protective cover between the plant cells and their environment, by which they regulate their water loss, and protect themselves from the environment. When we speak of plant waxes, it is usually as if it were a single compound, but a deeper look reveals that it is a mixture of simple Alkanes, Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Fatty Acids, ranging from 20 carbon chains, to about 34."

Perhaps you or others could go into a little detail about how alcohol interacts with the waxy cell walls of the trichome. Does it only dissolve a portion (from Alkanes, Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Fatty Acids interaction) of outer shell thereby creating in essence a bunch of small holes to release and extract cannabinoids and terpenoids inside?

I have used filtered dry ice hash on multiple occasions to make shatter, and most of the trichome matter remains after -50C etoh extraction. Does temperature effect the ability of alcohol to interact with the Alkanes, Alcohols, Aldehydes, and Fatty Acids?

The dielectric constant of ethanol drops with the temperature rise, so that it becomes less polar.

Attachments

• Ethanol dielectric constant by temperature3.png
    Ethanol dielectric constant by temperature3.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I ask for general knowledge to understand my etoh processes better and also to see if there is a practical application to purposely "punch small holes" in the waxy trichome walls in order to release terpenes for extraction while not damaging cannabinoids, which will be extracted in a subsequent process. Could a fine mist of alcohol sprayed on separated trichomes help to volatilize terpenes during sublimation or evaporation under vacuum?

Thanks!

WFF

The wax compounds are both mixed, and in layers on the plant surfaces, and I read a report, which I can no longer find, that said that the wax covering the trichomes had some polar elements to make it hydrophylic on the plant side and hydrophobic on the weather side. Similar to the wax on a wasps body.

Sadly it didn't offer the wax chemistry, so shooting from the hip in the dark. My guess is that the wax covering the trichomes is not long chained, because it has to expand and stretch as the trichome fills from within.

Last edited:

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
The dielectric constant of ethanol drops with the temperature, so that it becomes less polar.

https://glossary.periodni.com/glossary.php?en=dielectric+constant

"Dielectric constant or permittivity (ε) is an index of the ability of a substance to attenuate the transmission of an electrostatic force from one charged body to another. The lower the value, the greater the attenuation. The standard measurement apparatus utilises a vacuum whose dielectric constant is 1. In reference to this, various materials interposed between the charged terminal have the following value at 20 °C:

vacuum 1
air 1.00058
glass 3
benzene 2.3
acetic acid 6.2
ammonia 15.5
ethanol 25
glycerol 56
water 81

The exceptionally high value for water accounts for its unique behaviour as a solvent and in electrolytic solutions. Dielectric constant values decrease as the temperature rises."

If I understand correctly, temperature alters alcohol's polarity, which in turn alters the interaction with the various components of waxy outer shell of the trichome?

WaterFarmFan

Veteran
The wax compounds are both mixed, and in layers on the plant surfaces, and I read a report, which I can no longer find, that said that the wax covering the trichomes had some polar elements to make it hydrophylic on the plant side and hydrophobic on the weather side. Similar to the wax on a wasps body.

Sadly it didn't offer the wax chemistry, so shooting from the hip in the dark. My guess is that the wax covering the trichomes is not long chained, because it has to expand and stretch as the trichome fills from within.

Wonderful explanation! Mother nature is such a magical thing! Must. Do. More. Reading...

Gray Wolf

Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Wowza, I've sure been finding a lot of intresting stuff researching for the new site.

I started out wondering what the stand alone effects of the individual terpenes were, as well as their PEL, and ended up dramatically expanding my search and horizons.

~star~crash~

Hey Gray Wolf Good Morning! quick question from a novice ...what are the solid coagulants that form while cold boiling off my solvent? (butane) it's retrievable gunky stuff and am i correct to assume its an undesirable wax or fat?

as always peace to you ...

Latest posts

Latest posts