What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Dankwolfs rks breeding project and breeding info discussion

Dakine

Veteran
Bigherb your opinion about me is ALOT more subjective then reputation or reviews. Maybe before you post talking about research, you should dig A little deeper then the 1st page of A google search my friend.

I can admit I was wrong and didnt remember all the abbreviations pf strains. But dig A little deeper in that research thing you told me about.. Theres alot of controversy over the Really Killer Skunk name. pertaining to Road Kill ... Controversy,Name Change,Same abbreviation...

But it aint my fault, people cant act like adults. None of my post in that thread is False Information.. Its just that some people are so narrow minded with tunnel vision lol. They chose not to accept whats happening with 1 Strain, when alot of the strains going around are made the exact same way..

But hey If i wanted to act like you, I couldve easily said I know its Really Killer Skunk , but with all the drama around it I wanna see what its really about.

Please Pm me, and we can discuss the Phaze issue you have and tell me what you think you know that I dont know.. . I dont want to mess this thread up anymore then you just did throwing shade, But I atleast just have to reply.

Dankwolf

I grew some 1 1/2-2ft plants from seed in miracle grow and Black and gold soil lol 10 years ago... Hey maan I would think my dryshots werent that bad for back then haha..

No joke, I was thinking about that same EXACT description.. But ive told you before, I have never seen RKS buds, or really knew about them back then.. I just heard of them only A couple years ago to be honest...

I kinda want to buy some of those RKS seeds, it sucks even more that there feminized though.. But the Breeder(s) selling it, actually have some what of A good reputation...I said "Somewhat" haha

If you wamt good genetics look bacl 10 years . genetic potential was a good thing when it was ilegal. Now ypu have all these bull shit strains that give you a half ass high that last 45 min if you find a keeper lol .

People used to work years to breed a strain . these new crosses are not strains. If you want a true winner get some Old bag seed no joke .

GoatCheese

Veteran
Even though NL now is generally listed as low oder, there definately are or were NL lines that had that skunk smell. Garlic bud was a stinker, but spicy more on the side of black pepper from what I gather. Shiva, both I & II, have Garlic bud in their makeup, and you absolutely could('ve?) come across some stinkers. And IMHO, "skunk" terps translate into taste, at least for me, like a very nice, earthy-sweet hash, with some creamyness mixed in.

Yea, that NL-pheno of Gordy's Spice#18 i mentioned earlier was also acrid and ammonia-cy as hell.Very, very pungent. I once took it to week 12 cause i was trying to score some sleep-meds and it made you pull your head back when you took a good close sniff.
A knocked-out boxer would have jumped up ready to fight again after a sniff of that, it was that pungent:biggrin:

mack 10

Veteran
Very interesting! Found them for sale :tiphat:

Interesting that it has THAI as SamS Skunk doesnt....

Yeah the thai, or was it ?
Seems the first mention of this ,Thai comes from the Sssc.
Didn't see any mention of Thai till they released skunk 1
(check the old catalogues)
It was either a typo, intentionally changed or actually did have Thai in it. Thai is super dominant in crosses, skunk doesn't look very Thai to me.

D

Dr.Suess

Yeah the thai, or was it ?
Seems the first mention of this ,Thai comes from the Sssc.
Didn't see any mention of Thai till they released skunk 1
(check the old catalogues)
It was either a typo, intentionally changed or actually did have Thai in it. Thai is super dominant in crosses, skunk doesn't look very Thai to me.

I've seen the catalogue you mention and I've always wondered if the road kill was from the Afghan and the sweet from the Thai but only SamS can clear that up?

PDX Dopesmoker

Wow 8% THC, quite a powerhouse. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I would like to point out that the ~70% lower THC number (as compared to modern varieties results) may have come along with lower terpene numbers or even different ones. Have you thought of trying to replicate the growing techniques that were being used 30 years ago? I had some high quality skunky weed back then (can't say for sure that it was the real deal, but it smelled like a skunk, was strong as fuck and cost $80/q $250/z, picked up in Northern Virginia & smoked at an RFK Dead show amongst other places) and it was potent beyond all reason, but I can only assume that my tolerance was way lower back then. I've moved up from weaker material to stronger material so many times I'm pretty sure that its only the difference that matters, smoking 8% when you're habituated to 3% is just as impressive as dabbing good oil for the first time. The Virginia skunk weed was amongst the most powerful stuff I smoked back in those days, but my regular stuff was that seedy imported bud.
A hit of 25% THC skunk with ~4% terps is always going to smell/taste different than the 8% fire (with probably less than 2% terps to go alone with it) from ye olden days even the genetics are the same and that is why I'm worried that you might be tilting at windmills here. To put it another way, if you took a lemon and soaked in excess limonene, then it wouldn't taste like a lemon anymore would it?

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
Wow 8% THC, quite a powerhouse. I'm not trying to be insulting, but I would like to point out that the ~70% lower THC number (as compared to modern varieties results) may have come along with lower terpene numbers or even different ones. Have you thought of trying to replicate the growing techniques that were being used 30 years ago? I had some high quality skunky weed back then (can't say for sure that it was the real deal, but it smelled like a skunk, was strong as fuck and cost $80/q $250/z, picked up in Northern Virginia & smoked at an RFK Dead show amongst other places) and it was potent beyond all reason, but I can only assume that my tolerance was way lower back then. I've moved up from weaker material to stronger material so many times I'm pretty sure that its only the difference that matters, smoking 8% when you're habituated to 3% is just as impressive as dabbing good oil for the first time. The Virginia skunk weed was amongst the most powerful stuff I smoked back in those days, but my regular stuff was that seedy imported bud.
A hit of 25% THC skunk with ~4% terps is always going to smell/taste different than the 8% fire (with probably less than 2% terps to go alone with it) from ye olden days even the genetics are the same and that is why I'm worried that you might be tilting at windmills here. To put it another way, if you took a lemon and soaked in excess limonene, then it wouldn't taste like a lemon anymore would it?

Good points :yes:

Thcvhunter

Veteran

I find 25+% THC strains pointless to me. I won't smoke them. Wow, ya hit a pointless number - good job. Its this Industrial culture that breeds the idea of a single component being the crux of it all.
My favorite strains run from the 7-10 and the mid teens in THC. Why? Because THC aint the end all be all that the cannabis industry hyped it up to be.

So, one of two things is going on with RKS/Sk having 8%thc yet is legend.
1- it was higher in potency but handling mechanics back then decreased the potency between growing and testing.
2- THC aint the end all be all in potency.

I'll take an 8% Durban/Thai/Jamaican over a 30% The White/Cookies/inbredbullshitwithnohigh any day.

CBG's Durban is in the low teens yet many people are reporting it to be very potent and trippy.
Go figure.
Maybe one day Charlie will release something good, something with 30%.
Rofl

corky1968

Veteran
I find 25+% THC strains pointless to me. I won't smoke them. Wow, ya hit a pointless number - good job. Its this Industrial culture that breeds the idea of a single component being the crux of it all.
My favorite strains run from the 7-10 and the mid teens in THC. Why? Because THC aint the end all be all that the cannabis industry hyped it up to be.

So, one of two things is going on with RKS/Sk having 8%thc yet is legend.
1- it was higher in potency but handling mechanics back then decreased the potency between growing and testing.
2- THC aint the end all be all in potency.

I'll take an 8% Durban/Thai/Jamaican over a 30% The White/Cookies/inbredbullshitwithnohigh any day.

CBG's Durban is in the low teens yet many people are reporting it to be very potent and trippy.
Go figure.
Maybe one day Charlie will release something good, something with 30%.
Rofl

Terp Tards are the ones that want the 20%, 25%, 30%,etc. :laughing:

Give it a year and somebody will come up with Boy Scout strain. :biggrin:

Dakine

Veteran
If you wamt good genetics look bacl 10 years . genetic potential was a good thing when it was ilegal. Now ypu have all these bull shit strains that give you a half ass high that last 45 min if you find a keeper lol .

People used to work years to breed a strain . these new crosses are not strains. If you want a true winner get some Old bag seed no joke .

To bad some of us aint loaded with cash, that are willing to spend it on research lol.. What if there was some type of cannabinoid that had a percentage higher back then which helped with the length of the high? But now all this crossing and making hybrids lowered it?
^(Dont get mad any1, its just A snack for thought)

Thats totally true though, alot of growers wanted to put out the best product that would make people come back, some odd years ago..
Alot of times now days As long as it looks good and smells good through the window, then in the jar when showing customers/med users.. IT'll give them an intense placebo effect haha.

Maybe you are on the right track though... Wouldnt it be A sativa or A hybrid with very strong Sativa influence, that kept us stoned/high for hours?

numberguy

What is missing from 40 years ago? collaboration knowingly or unknowingly. Till then you are just spinning your wheels, it took almost that long to get rid of that awfull smell. luck to all.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
Indoor revolution of tending was a big factor in the loss of such a wonderfully rank varietal that seems to have vanished ............
It was a sweat inducing high that lingered in taste and high for hr's.........as well as a great incense to enter a house............

ganj on.............

bigherb

Veteran
Indoor revolution of tending was a big factor in the loss of such a wonderfully rank varietal that seems to have vanished ............
It was a sweat inducing high that lingered in taste and high for hr's.........as well as a great incense to enter a house............

ganj on.............

That is one of the biggest factors I believe

I alsobelieve a first but also somthin not often spoke of .Sweat inducing is something rare IME , but few close friends sweat both forehead and on there nose when it's superior quality

Always great to hear from you

1luvbigherb

EastCoast710

THE MAZAR I SHARIFF SEEDS ON THE MARKET THESE DAYS ARE FUCKING AWFUL n had 3 diff breeders mazar I popped all same time.. over 30 seeds and didn't find a single plant worth keeping . nothing was even close to a keeper.. and the flowering time said 6-8 weeks.. I had some that went to 13 weeks and didn't have any amber trichomes..

fucking terrible plants.

PDX Dopesmoker

ganj on.............

Thats something worth thinking about, all of the tremendous variety in the landraces was a product of evolution in different environments, but now all indoor is grown in roughly identical conditions worldwide.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
and you as well friend...............hopin' Santa brings you the haze of your dreams.......!

truth PDX..............sterile artificial enviro's are the detriment to gene pools.........

ganj on..........

resin_lung

I cough up honey oil
Veteran
I played around with a similar project a while back. I had no idea what I was doing. Still don't!lol I had a plant I bought from "the yellow house" as a cut named Dankouver. It smelled like a sweat socks with some subtle skunk stank. It was the closest to that kind of reek I had come across in a while. I decided to cross it with male plants from a commercial seed line I found to be stanky too. Shiva from sensi(maybe shanti ll). I also later reversed a couple clones that stank, like a garlic clone a close friend was running since pre 2000 from isle vista and PO#1, my 1st experiences with reversing plants. Every cross took it somewhere, but nowhere I was hoping. It was always rank just not skunk. I was relying on hopes and wishes. I left the project where it remains. From semi skunky sweat socks + a healthy amount of shiva + a dash of garlic + a pinch of sourdouble = Sour Shoes! It's predominantly WLD except for what the original Dankouver clone still has in the mix. It was compact with thin leaves and resembled a MexicanISH plant in structure and bud formation that would still show itself from time to time. Those clones are all gone now. Only a single clone of "Sour Shoes" and a handful of seeds from the project survive.

My point is that I really didn't have enough data to call my choices anything but wild. I believe that the skunk smell was found, not created. It existed in the afghani that Sam added to his Alcapulco/SMG cross (I wonder what the plant was called before the afghani was added). I realize that at some point in history that terp profile came to be but..... without knowing exactly "what" combined with "what" equals skunk, aren't we stuck with wild guesses. Like we know yellow and blue make green! I think yellow and blue are primary colors so nothing can be mixed to create them. Correct? Anyway is there a similar deal for smells?haha is there only one way to get to Skunk?

Like I know there is a bush that smells like skunk. Not as loud as skunkweed but still smells like skunk. A friend of mine had 1 in his front yard. I almost feel like cruising over there to see if it's still there and sending a sample in for testing? just to see the terp profile.lol

A looong time ago a friend and I went to a cosmetics company in Sylmar, here in the valley and asked about accuiring the "scent of Skunk" haha SERIOUSLY! They looked at us like we were from outer space! I would have been pissed except that I'm pretty sure we looked like we were too!haha needless to say, they were unable to help us.

I'm sure someone has since brought a product to market that has the smell.... no?

If wild guesses are all we got than that's all we got. I'm not saying we should stop trying. Just some thoughts on the subject.

I know this whole post might sound super stupid......
BUTTFUCK it!:tiphat:

EDIT: not to side track the thread but does anyone else remember anything about a cut named Dankouver? I got it around 2002-3ish.

Dankwolf

Been busy sorry for the lack of updates . i might have a virus transfered by bugs :( . Not for sure but might have to start over . keeps poping up in flower rigjt at 20 to 25 days . thought my girl did it last run but it happened again. Will through up specs and pics in my cotton candy thread .

Last edited:

Thcvhunter

Veteran
It wasn't (AG x CG) x Affy.
Pretty sure it was (Tims Affy x CG) x AG.
But, other combinations were tried. Its these other combinations that interest me. And I suspect that these other combinations make up the strains we smoke today.

I played around with a similar project a while back. I had no idea what I was doing. Still don't!lol I had a plant I bought from "the yellow house" as a cut named Dankouver. It smelled like a sweat socks with some subtle skunk stank. It was the closest to that kind of reek I had come across in a while. I decided to cross it with male plants from a commercial seed line I found to be stanky too. Shiva from sensi(maybe shanti ll). I also later reversed a couple clones that stank, like a garlic clone a close friend was running since pre 2000 from isle vista and PO#1, my 1st experiences with reversing plants. Every cross took it somewhere, but nowhere I was hoping. It was always rank just not skunk. I was relying on hopes and wishes. I left the project where it remains. From semi skunky sweat socks + a healthy amount of shiva + a dash of garlic + a pinch of sourdouble = Sour Shoes! It's predominantly WLD except for what the original Dankouver clone still has in the mix. It was compact with thin leaves and resembled a MexicanISH plant in structure and bud formation that would still show itself from time to time. Those clones are all gone now. Only a single clone of "Sour Shoes" and a handful of seeds from the project survive.

My point is that I really didn't have enough data to call my choices anything but wild. I believe that the skunk smell was found, not created. It existed in the afghani that Sam added to his Alcapulco/SMG cross (I wonder what the plant was called before the afghani was added). I realize that at some point in history that terp profile came to be but..... without knowing exactly "what" combined with "what" equals skunk, aren't we stuck with wild guesses. Like we know yellow and blue make green! I think yellow and blue are primary colors so nothing can be mixed to create them. Correct? Anyway is there a similar deal for smells?haha is there only one way to get to Skunk?

Like I know there is a bush that smells like skunk. Not as loud as skunkweed but still smells like skunk. A friend of mine had 1 in his front yard. I almost feel like cruising over there to see if it's still there and sending a sample in for testing? just to see the terp profile.lol

A looong time ago a friend and I went to a cosmetics company in Sylmar, here in the valley and asked about accuiring the "scent of Skunk" haha SERIOUSLY! They looked at us like we were from outer space! I would have been pissed except that I'm pretty sure we looked like we were too!haha needless to say, they were unable to help us.

I'm sure someone has since brought a product to market that has the smell.... no?

If wild guesses are all we got than that's all we got. I'm not saying we should stop trying. Just some thoughts on the subject.

I know this whole post might sound super stupid......
BUTTFUCK it!:tiphat:

EDIT: not to side track the thread but does anyone else remember anything about a cut named Dankouver? I got it around 2002-3ish.

Sam_Skunkman

"RESIN BREEDER"
Veteran
This is how Skunk #1 looked grown under the sun in a greenhouse still a few weeks to go. Un-manicured yet, and yes this is the 1990's sweeter version, the RKS pre sweet version was slightly more leaf, as well as a bit coarser but very similar. I am not sure where my photos from late 1970's are, if I can find them I will post them.
-SamS

Attachments

• 1250Greenhouse_SK_close_up.jpg
    1250Greenhouse_SK_close_up.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 10