What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

MilehighGuy's Organic Soil Journal

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
Wow....nice work MHG!! This is how the baby bounces. May need to hit the soil with any decent tea,or ACT in early to mid flower...then after that all you need to do is decide to no-till or re-amend.

Gas

MileHighGuy

Veteran
MHG

Beautiful plants as usual!

CC

Thanks!!! The words of encouragement are always appreciated. I am loving this new soil mix. Everything looks very good and healthy right now.

looking good mate, lovely color to them very healthy too! great work :)

Never had a healthier batch!! :thank you:

Wow....nice work MHG!! This is how the baby bounces. May need to hit the soil with any decent tea,or ACT in early to mid flower...then after that all you need to do is decide to no-till or re-amend.

Gas

Brewing up a tea since last night for all the ladies. 12 Gallons of Tea with Earth Worm Castings, Buffaloam Compost, Handful of Dried Comfrey Leaves and some Moles Asses. Should be Ready to go tomorrow morning.

First time with the Comfrey leaves in there... Did I do something stupid adding them?

Beautiful plants MHG! They all look as happy as can be.

Thanks!!!! The Frosty Photos are 4 weeks in... or just under that... The Young ones are 1 week into flower.

Gascanastan

Gone but NOT forgotten...
Veteran
I have made teas w/comfrey before...very potent. A handful to 12 gallons should be fine.

Onward and upward~

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
MHG

The 200XX Aloe vera powder from your source is perfect! I use 1/4 tsp. in the Chapin concrete sprayer and fill it with 3.5 gallons which is 'slightly' more than 1/4 cup of Aloe vera juice per gallon but it's close enough for this deal.

That's it - lock down the pump and spray the soil concentrating in and around the plant's trunk. It can't get it any easier than that!

CC

MileHighGuy

Veteran
MHG

The 200XX Aloe vera powder from your source is perfect! I use 1/4 tsp. in the Chapin concrete sprayer and fill it with 3.5 gallons which is 'slightly' more than 1/4 cup of Aloe vera juice per gallon but it's close enough for this deal.

That's it - lock down the pump and spray the soil concentrating in and around the plant's trunk. It can't get it any easier than that!

CC

Interesting. I've measured 1 teaspoon over and over and it comes out to 1 gram of aloe powder. Why are you using 1/4 teaspoon? If I remember right... 1 gram is ideal for the chapin.... But I did just eat an edible that seems to be stronger than expected. :tiphat:

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Interesting. I've measured 1 teaspoon over and over and it comes out to 1 gram of aloe powder. Why are you using 1/4 teaspoon? If I remember right... 1 gram is ideal for the chapin.... But I did just eat an edible that seems to be stronger than expected. :tiphat:

kane-slow-clap.gif

:D

MileHighGuy

Veteran
^ haha I was floating around my house all night thanks to that coconut oil brownie. I had to stop posting because I couldn't read straight anymore.

Now, back to all the stuff I planned on finishing last night.... Hey! At least my Tea is ready this morning.

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Another friend wants to go organic.

This time I'll be mixing up about 100 Gallons of Soil at my house and he'll buy the supplies.

Once it's ready he'll only need about half, and the other half will be for me!

I'll update with the exact mix once I'm all mixed up.

Off to the nursery!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Oh Damn... Pulled the trigger on 5000 worms and I'm getting my 100 Gallon smart pot worm bin up and running right now!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
100 Gallon Smart Pot Full of a fresh soil mix:

30% Sphagnum Peat Moss (3.8 Cubic Foot Bale)
30% Lava Rock
30% Aged Compost

Nutrients and Minerals:

6 Cups Neem Meal
6 Cups Crab Meal
6 Cups Dried Sea Kelp

About 20 Cups of Glacial Rock Dust and 10 Cups of Gypsum Powder and a few cups of Oyster Flour.... I'm planning on adding some more minerals to each container before Transplanting because I didn't have enough laying around. Oh... and I'll also be top dressing with about 1-2" of Worm Castings in each pot.

I wet the Sphagnum first and smashed it to smithereens. Then added the compost and lava rock in layers while mixing it in with the nutrients. The whole thing is moist and nicely mixed after shoveling it for way too long.

WORM BIN! 100 Gallon Smart pot.

I added about 20 gallons of old soil that has all sorts of goodies in it.

30 Gallons of Sphagnum Peat Moss
30 Gallons of Compost
Some aged chicken poop about 1.5 gallons
Some Glacial Rock dust and Sea Kelp that got mixed together in the mail. About 20 Cups Total.

Once this was all mixed up and moist I Poured the 5000 new worms on top and left the light on so they would dig down. I'll be adding some Bokashi as I go and maybe a few other inputs, but So far I'm happy with how it's set up.

Thanks to ClackamasCootz For the recipe, I think my buddy will find this next go around much easier than it has been in the past.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
Nice mix there MHG. :good: What's the consistency/texture of the lava rock you get? Out here, it's mostly the landscape-type variety. Big, coarse pieces (golf-ball sized, ish)

Is there some mineraly goodness imparted by the lava rock, or is it for texture/aeration?

MileHighGuy

Veteran
Nice mix there MHG. :good: What's the consistency/texture of the lava rock you get? Out here, it's mostly the landscape-type variety. Big, coarse pieces (golf-ball sized, ish)

Is there some mineraly goodness imparted by the lava rock, or is it for texture/aeration?

The Lava Rock is for landscaping but comes in several sizes there on the property. I'd say the size is mostly like marbles with some smaller and a few larger here and there

picture.php

The Lava rock is only being added for the texture and aeration. but I've read that it does break down into minerals over time :dunno:

Here is a copy and paste for ya:

http://jetta17.hubpages.com/hub/Lava-Rocks-Soils-Best-Organic-Admendment

An often overlooked, but highly beneficial soil amendment is lava rocks. Lava rocks help soil retain moisture, add to soil structure, boost microbe activity and improve crop health and yields. These volcanic rocks can be incorporated into in-ground or container gardens, making them a useful soil additive to any style gardener.

Advantages of Lava Rocks:

The unique structure and composition of lava rocks makes them a multifunctional amendment in the garden. The highly porous qualities of lava rock make them very beneficial in aerating soils as well as helping to retain soil moisture. The porous qualities also create a massive surface area for beneficial bacteria to live and multiply in. By boosting beneficial bacteria numbers, you are able to unlock more nutrients for your plants. Lava rock also improves the overall structure of the soil. Container gardeners can really benefit from lava rocks ability to resist soil compaction. Although lava rocks are strong enough to resist soil compaction, they are also soft enough to break down slowly. As the lava rocks break down, they release essential micronutrients into the soil. The health of your plants will greatly benefit from these added nutrients.

Incorporating Lava into Your Garden:

Incorporating lava rocks into your garden's soil is easy. When mixing soil components add enough lava rock to make up 20-25% of the total soil mix. Lava rock comes in various sizes but the best size for the garden is marble-sized rocks. Perlite is being replaced in garden soils by lava rock because of its added benefits. Layers of lava rock at the bottom of containers are recommended to increase soil drainage.

ClackamasCootz

Expired
Veteran
I like using lava rock - a lot. Even more so than Pumice and it's cheaper. $2.00 for a bucket at a landscape supply company. Bring your bucket and you fill with almost any of their products and it's still only $2.00 - lava rock, gravel, pebbles, etc.

That works out to $3.00 a cubic foot!

MileHighGuy

Veteran
OH yeah!!!

The Sphagnum was $12 for 3.8 Cubic Feet
The Compost was $10 for about 4 cubic feet
The Lava rock was $8 for 4 cubic feet.

Soil mix almost complete for $30.00

Add the few dollars I spent on Glacial Rock Dust, Sea Kelp, Crab Meal and Neem.... The Whole mix was less than $45 and that's almost 100 Gallons worth.

Today I'm going to pick up Some Ag Gypsum labeled as Cal-Sul at the local Feed Store today. That will finish my mix.

silver hawaiian

Veteran
What's the big deal about a bargain there?

I mean, surely, you could get almost THREE CUBIC FEET OF ZOMGFFOF for that price!