What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed Wars: New show on Discovery

ReelBusy1

Breeder
ICMag Donor
It all depends on how Discovery would edit the show. Are they going to edit it to look shady or edit it to look like a legit business? I'm sure it could go either way and the way they portray the store and its actions on television could define what happens to the view of cannabis users nation wide. If of the 80,000 people that they serve Discovery shows only the sic, the elderly, and the clearly in pain, then the nation will see good coming about this. If, however, Discovery plans on showing all the 22 year old customers coming in there every day with their slang and fast lingo then people are surely to look down on the industry and its legitimacy...

Have you watched reality TV before?
Reality goes by one rule: Trainwreck it up.

If you are a drunk slut, Snookie, reality TV makes you look drunker and sluttier

If you are dumb, Paris Hilton, it makes you look even dumber.

If you're a bitch, all the Desperate Housewives, they make you look bitchier.

Harborside can only look forward to be made to look like stupid stoners, criminals or both.

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Any MMJ supplier who charges $25/gram, give or take, is a fucking glorified drug dealer and give us all a bad name and the governement a legitimate argument.

Sorry dude but guilt by association is NEVER a legitimate argument.

Also IF one is in CA than one has MANY options for obtaining medical cannabis. Your argument about pricing is specious. California produces wine that sells for $3.00 a bottle (two buck Chuck now costing $3) and California produces wines that sell for more than $100 per bottle. Cheap wine producers and consumers aren't "Given a bad name" just because other wine makers use a different business model.

There is NO LEGITIMATE argument to prohibit any adult from any activity which causes no harm to third parties.

For my own good, For the children, For the common good: These are all fucking tools of slavery. Wake up people and take back all freedoms which are your birth right!

:joint:

Noobian

Green is Gold
Veteran
And you wonder why theres a federal crack down? Growing up we called this blowing up the spot.

It's time the "spot" was out in the open and not some shady corner or back alley somewhere. I applaud people that stick their necks out like this, it takes balls. The general public is used to seeing cannabis and it's users in a certain light, and anything we can do to counter that negative stereotype is a good thing in my book.

Cappy

Sorry dude but guilt by association is NEVER a legitimate argument.

Also IF one is in CA than one has MANY options for obtaining medical cannabis. Your argument about pricing is specious. California produces wine that sells for $3.00 a bottle (two buck Chuck now costing $3) and California produces wines that sell for more than $100 per bottle. Cheap wine producers and consumers aren't "Given a bad name" just because other wine makers use a different business model.

There is NO LEGITIMATE argument to prohibit any adult from any activity which causes no harm to third parties.

For my own good, For the children, For the common good: These are all fucking tools of slavery. Wake up people and take back all freedoms which are your birth right!

That's not guilt by association, it's using medical marijuana laws to legitimize charging $3000 a lb when it costs about $200 to produce. This isn't about fucking capitalism.

Your wine comparison is what is specious and fairly ignorant. Alcohol is LEGAL to produce and consume. That's why you can find two buck chuck at all.

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/20/marijuana-discovery-weed-reality-show/

Discovery Channel is set to announce a potentially controversial new series: A docu-soap reality show set in the country’s largest medical marijuana distributorship and starring a pot reform activist. This fall, the network will unveil Weed Wars, where cameras follow the day-to-day dealings of a California ganja store.
The show follows Steve DeAngelo, the owner of Oakland’s Harborside Health Center, which serves 80,000 clients. According to the network, DeAngelo strives to provide patients with the highest-quality product and uses his business to promote the national regulation and taxation of cannabis.
Weed Wars fearlessly pulls back the curtain on a once illegal and still controversial world,” said Nancy Daniels, executive vp at Discovery Channel. “From the inner workings of the business to Steve’s distinctive leadership style, Weed Wars is a fascinating glimpse into this highly unique setting. Like Gold Rush or Deadliest Catch, these are guys pursuing their own version of the American Dream.”
Steve-DeAngelo_240.jpg
Image Credit: Discovery Channel

California passed the Compassionate Use Act in 1996 that permitted legalized pot dispensaries where customers can select from a variety of toke-able or edible products if they have a doctor’s approval. Some have accused the Act of essentially legalizing marijuana. But in addition to providing relief to some patients struggling with severe illnesses, the passage has also resulted in a new breed of local-owned brick-and-mortar outlets at a time when retail stores are shutting down as commerce increasingly shifts to big box stores and Internet.
The show will follow the journey of the plant from germination to harvesting to sales at Harborside, which has opened up a second location in San Jose despite “constant police monitoring and security sweeps,” says to the network.
What do you think, will you check out Weed Wars this fall? It’s sort of like Cake Boss with pot … or not.

Oh Christ you gotta be fucking shitting me? LOL I can already see how this is going to end, i.e. perp walk....

SOTF420

Humble Human, Freedom Fighter, Cannabis Lover, Bre
ICMag Donor
Veteran
When you have 80,000 clients your business is no secret to anyone. Good luck to HS and dude because they are going to need our prayers & support when uncle sam yanks the leash back. I'm guessing with $65 1/8's they should be able to cover those tax bills though no problem right?

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
That's not guilt by association, it's using medical marijuana laws to legitimize charging $3000 a lb when it costs about $200 to produce. This isn't about fucking capitalism.

Your wine comparison is what is specious and fairly ignorant. Alcohol is LEGAL to produce and consume. That's why you can find two buck chuck at all.

Medical cannabis is legitimate, LEGAL to produce, and consume; that is why you can find it in all kinds of varieties and prices in California.

You are certainly correct that the market controls the pricing on the huge varieties of medical cannabis products. The free market system, and capitalism are responsible for the amazing abundance that California cannabis users get to enjoy.

If you don't like the free market system I am very sorry for you and would ask you to look at the state of New Jersey as the wrong way to allow patients to obtain medical cannabis. How many New Jersey patients are suffering in huge pain and wasting away while the politicians keep the rest of the populace free from evil cannabis?

Your cost argument is absurd it assumes a simple cost of production which you then haphazardly apply to an entire diverse industry. What is wrong with allowing huge variety of products and price points?

Medical cannabis is legitimate, LEGAL to produce, and consume; that is why you can find it in all kinds of varieties and prices in California.

You are certainly correct that the market controls the pricing on the huge varieties of medical cannabis products. The free market system, and capitalism are responsible for the amazing abundance that California cannabis users get to enjoy.

If you don't like the free market system I am very sorry for you and would ask you to look at the state of New Jersey as the wrong way to allow patients to obtain medical cannabis. How many New Jersey patients are suffering in huge pain and wasting away while the politicians keep the rest of the populace free from evil cannabis?

Your cost argument is absurd it assumes a simple cost of production which you then haphazardly apply to an entire diverse industry. What is wrong with allowing huge variety of products and price points?

Lol 'free market' isn't charging black market prices when you're trying to 'legitimize' your industry. Cannabis being illegal in the rest of the country places a high demand on California. If it were legalized in the rest of the country you'd see an actual free market system at work and the price would dramatically decrease. $65 for an 8th is crazy. You can't even charge something like that here in the Northeast, and to think a company selling at higher then black market street prices when they buy direct from source/control production is insanely greedy. $8320 a pound and they will take your weed on consignment and give you 3k if you're lucky?

S

Scrappy-doo

People on the East Coast will pay $65 and then some. It's considered pricey but it's fairly common. $60 is the average price, but I've seen it go for even $75 for real quality herb.

Grass Lands

Veteran
it may only cost a few hundred bucks to grow a pound....but it takes a hell of a lot of skill to make it top notch AAA bud!!!

Hydrosun

I love my life
Veteran
Lol 'free market' isn't charging black market prices when you're trying to 'legitimize' your industry. Cannabis being illegal in the rest of the country places a high demand on California. If it were legalized in the rest of the country you'd see an actual free market system at work and the price would dramatically decrease. $65 for an 8th is crazy. You can't even charge something like that here in the Northeast, and to think a company selling at higher then black market street prices when they buy direct from source/control production is insanely greedy. $8320 a pound and they will take your weed on consignment and give you 3k if you're lucky?

Glad to see you two new guys from 2009. I understand that the laws of other areas effect price and demand across the globe effects distribution and price.

I feel there is no need to legitimize the canna industry, it has proven itself over decades in black, grey, and green markets. The only fallacy is that this 80 year prohibition should be taken seriously and is a legitimate topic of debate causing factions among this membership.

You still haven't given a good alternative among ANY of the other 15 states or the District of Columbia.

Yeah, it's not like 262,000,000 Americans live somewhere other than California. Oh wait....

So what? 6 billion or so people don't live in California that doesn't mean prohibition or government control of the peaceful activity of Californians is required, desirable, or moral.

Space Case

Veteran
I used to vend to BPG and Harborside when I lived in the East Bay. I'm not sure any of the vendors, at least the smaller guys, will be happy about this!

So will there be a finalé episode with a big DEA raid?

R

rick shaw

Weed Wars will air in November,can't wait to see what board games and merchandise www.dsc.discovery.com will spin off.

On a side note,the Hoffman's resume their quest for gold in Alaska Oct.28th

MIway

Veteran
I think they cancelled this... don't see anything on their site & w a month to air...?

G

greenmatter

one more in a LONG list of reasons not to watch TV. the paris hilton of pot better have a good lawyer because anyone that is fool enough to think that the feds are not gonna nail this fool to the cross are not reading what is going on right now.

dagnabit

Game Bred
Veteran
hello 2 buck chuck...
shwag9.jpg

specious you say?

no one is forced to walk into harbor side and pay exorbitant prices.

two buck chuck is readily available..
dirtweed.jpg

ignorant you say?

Latest posts

Latest posts