What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Weed Wars: New show on Discovery

Maj.Cottonmouth

We are Farmers
Veteran
http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/20/marijuana-discovery-weed-reality-show/

Discovery Channel is set to announce a potentially controversial new series: A docu-soap reality show set in the country’s largest medical marijuana distributorship and starring a pot reform activist. This fall, the network will unveil Weed Wars, where cameras follow the day-to-day dealings of a California ganja store.
The show follows Steve DeAngelo, the owner of Oakland’s Harborside Health Center, which serves 80,000 clients. According to the network, DeAngelo strives to provide patients with the highest-quality product and uses his business to promote the national regulation and taxation of cannabis.
Weed Wars fearlessly pulls back the curtain on a once illegal and still controversial world,” said Nancy Daniels, executive vp at Discovery Channel. “From the inner workings of the business to Steve’s distinctive leadership style, Weed Wars is a fascinating glimpse into this highly unique setting. Like Gold Rush or Deadliest Catch, these are guys pursuing their own version of the American Dream.”
Steve-DeAngelo_240.jpg
Image Credit: Discovery Channel

California passed the Compassionate Use Act in 1996 that permitted legalized pot dispensaries where customers can select from a variety of toke-able or edible products if they have a doctor’s approval. Some have accused the Act of essentially legalizing marijuana. But in addition to providing relief to some patients struggling with severe illnesses, the passage has also resulted in a new breed of local-owned brick-and-mortar outlets at a time when retail stores are shutting down as commerce increasingly shifts to big box stores and Internet.
The show will follow the journey of the plant from germination to harvesting to sales at Harborside, which has opened up a second location in San Jose despite “constant police monitoring and security sweeps,” says to the network.
What do you think, will you check out Weed Wars this fall? It’s sort of like Cake Boss with pot … or not.

H

h^2 O

they serve 80,000 people?????!!! Holy shit. That's like the whole population of Oakland. That's a lot of bud man.

greenluv707

pit wisper/ rare strain collector
good finally the people can see how this club shakes down its pacients for there hard earned money, man 65 plus tax......do i have to bend over too ? not to mention they show growers no respect, rent to own bullshit. "ya you can loan us your herb for 6 weeks" what a joke if hes makin all that money why doesnt he pay up front..... compassion ya right not at that place. another shady person runnin a club.

K

Kitsym

this is good for the image of Med-Pot in the eyes of the Public IMHO

krunchbubble

Dear Haters, I Have So Much More For You To Be Mad
Veteran
good finally the people can see how this club shakes down its pacients for there hard earned money, man 65 plus tax......do i have to bend over too ? not to mention they show growers no respect, rent to own bullshit. "ya you can loan us your herb for 6 weeks" what a joke if hes makin all that money why doesnt he pay up front..... compassion ya right not at that place. another shady person runnin a club.

love it....:tiphat:

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
a friend of mine is trying to get a job here...he said he might even get on the show..

regarding harborside...FUCK THAT PLACE. ive given that place alot of my business in the past, but once i learned about their corrupt actions i am boycotting them and advising many to do the same..

HHC contributes lots of money to the ASA, which is one of the most corrupt marijuana groups out there....in san diego they are supporting more regulations that target dispensaries not within the collective. they are basically trying to create a monopoly where only their dispensary can do business...they are doing this by lobbying for increased zoning regulations that will shut clubs down...

in oakland HHC has done the same as well, theres only a few clubs in oakland because HHC has eliminated competition..

their nugs are frosty and sometimes good but always lacking in taste, its all hydro, warehouse grown crap.....and its way too pricy. and the whole consignment thing is BS...i gotta wait an additional MONTH on top of the 2 months it took to grow to get paid? who would even bother with that! plus they give your information to the feds...they dont care about mom and pop growers, they are collaborating with big warehouses and setting up their own 50kw warehouses left and right... eventually they will grow all their own pot and hand over grower records to whatever LEO agency raids them...

the clones are all 8th generation watered down genetics....the best clones i bought where some fire OGs, but they lacked vigor. threw one outside in a 200 gallon and it barely grew, one of the worst plants in my garden.....

Python

Unfortunately, this heavily goes into the area of taunting the DEA and this dude will soon be busted.... I wish it wouldn't happen, but mark my words.....it will

I would never do a show like this if I was in this guys position

Meraxes

Veteran
could be potentially good for all of us. if the show takes off, it will put the issue in the forefront, good things.

Mt Toaker

It all depends on how Discovery would edit the show. Are they going to edit it to look shady or edit it to look like a legit business? I'm sure it could go either way and the way they portray the store and its actions on television could define what happens to the view of cannabis users nation wide. If of the 80,000 people that they serve Discovery shows only the sic, the elderly, and the clearly in pain, then the nation will see good coming about this. If, however, Discovery plans on showing all the 22 year old customers coming in there every day with their slang and fast lingo then people are surely to look down on the industry and its legitimacy...

Cappy

Any MMJ supplier who charges $25/gram, give or take, is a fucking glorified drug dealer and give us all a bad name and the governement a legitimate argument.

Unfortunately, this heavily goes into the area of taunting the DEA and this dude will soon be busted.... I wish it wouldn't happen, but mark my words.....it will

I would never do a show like this if I was in this guys position

QFT

S

Scrappy-doo

There's no info on this series on the discovery channel website. Web searches have results that describe the show and say it was planned for a fall 2011 release, and a more recent article mentioned a winter 2011 release.

Not sure what the hold up is or if the show has been axed. They did mention problems becase of the new tax law and that the shop may have to close down because they owe like 2.5 mil in back taxes.

No other info from what I have seen. Anyone know the scoop?

R

rick shaw

Unused footage from 'Weed Wars' will be used for Discovery Channel's other show, 'I Almost Got Away With It"

Dawn Patrol

Well this is some bullshit right here.....
Veteran
I'm pretty sure I've seen this dude on 60 minutes or some other news show. Just another fame whore who got a taste of the spotlight and wants more.

No matter what happens in the short term, this can't end well.