What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are you drinking?

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
I bet if you took a few pedestrian bottles and gave the owner of the million and a half dollar bottle a blind taste test with the unicorn milk in the lineup they won't pick it out of a half dozen samples.

I do this from time to time with bourbon afficianado types, mainly for entertainment... but more importantly their own education.

You wouldn't believe how many begin making their own after that.

moose eater

Got dang moose.she must be a pro to hide it that long.i like a good scotch but it can be so smooth it hits you before you know it.let me think.i think it was a glenfarklas 12 year old I had that was good but it was blended I think.not single malt.i was just coincidentally looking up the most expensive whiskey.it was about 1.5 million or something.over a thousand a shot.thats some serious rich people man life right there.if I was a cat burglar wino I'd rob Kevin oleary.hes got millions in wine alone
After we were married, my criticism of habits that lead to shorter or greater encumbered life were stated in subtle manner, and she stopped smoking cigarettes, and didn't drink as much as she had previously, though mostly she'd preferred red wine.

Of course, she smoked more pot and hash after that, too, so I was not a helpful influence in that regard, though she primarily reserves that for evening, before going to sleep.

And when the pot and hash are more or less free, there's an attractive arrangement as well.

I just never saw her order any scotch or ask for any, so I had no clue for YEARS..

Once I discovered her fondness for scotch, I'd buy her a nice bottle of well-aged single malt for Christmas or birthdays, but often had to ask others what was best. I'm not a whisky drinker, but prefer scotch to bourbon any day.

Tequila is my preferred liquor. GOOD tequila.

moose eater

Split a tall can of Rogue Dead Guy Ale with my wife, procured at the store, on sale,when I made an impromptu trip into town this evening, after discovering I was out of a supplement I take fairly regularly and regard as serious.

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
Wasn't beer invented in Mesopotamia or something? Sumeria? It's so expensive I might start making mead or something.isnt there a brew thread on here?
Way earlier. Have u heard about Göbekli Tepe ?
They found evidence of brewing there but it was no permanent settlement.
There is still a scientific debate if people went from hunter gatherer to farmers because of brewing or they could invent brewing because of the over production of grains when they became farmers.
I like the thought of humans starting to settle down because they like to get a buzz.

goingrey

Coca-Cola_logo.svg

mean mr.mustard

I Pass Satellites
Veteran
Only time I buy any Scotch is for my wife. We were married over 25 years before I knew she was a Scotch drinker.

My mother bought her husband a bottle of Macallan 25 many years ago.... probably 25 years ago!

Way earlier. Have u heard about Göbekli Tepe ?
They found evidence of brewing there but it was no permanent settlement.
There is still a scientific debate if people went from hunter gatherer to farmers because of brewing or they could invent brewing because of the over production of grains when they became farmers.
I like the thought of humans starting to settle down because they like to get a buzz.

Check out a book called Ishmael by Daniel Quinn.

Also look into the Stoned Ape theory, postulated by (I believe) Terrence McKenna.

shithawk420

Veteran
Hoho damn we got a nice scientific debate boys.if I had to guess apes did probably evolve because of alcohol and drugs.theres plenty of evidence.lmao maybe Lucy was on actual Lucy in the sky with diamonds.im not stupid though.its synthetic

moose eater

Hoho damn we got a nice scientific debate boys.if I had to guess apes did probably evolve because of alcohol and drugs.theres plenty of evidence.lmao maybe Lucy was on actual Lucy in the sky with diamonds.im not stupid though.its synthetic
LSD in less refined form, lysergic acid, can be a product of ergot; found in molded rye kernels. Suspected to have been at the root of some of the perceived 'witch's spells' potentially resulting in at least one witch trial, if I recall correctly.

Last edited:

chilliwilli

Waterboy
420giveaway
LSD in less refined form, lysergic acid, can be a product of ergot; found in molded rye kernels. Suspected to have been at the root of some of the perceived 'witche's spells' potentially resulting in at least on witch trial, if I recall correctly.
Ergotism is not something u want to have. St. Anthonys fire f.e. was cause by claviceps purpurea infected rye. People felt they were burning and could potential lose some of their limbs.

If the stuff wasn't sooo dangerous i would try to recreate kykeon. The magic drink of the eleusian mysteries, rumored to be psychoactive because of the claviceps . Depending of the greek story mentioning kykeon is made of wine, barley and goat cheese. Some add honey or pennyroyal.

moose eater

Rogue Dead Guy Ale, 12 oz. can, at 6.8% abv. Not as brusque or 'big' of a flavor as I recall, after sampling both the 19 oz. cans and the 12 oz. cans in recent past. Leading me to believe they may have slightly switched up their brew formula on this ale over the last several years. Either that, or my taste buds have been changed some how.

Either way, in recent past it gets a 2 thumbs up from me.

moose eater

Ninkasi Brewing Co. (Eugene, Oregon) 'Oatis' oatmeal stout, at 7% abv, with a nice finish of carmel and chocolate flavors (no chocolate nibs involved; candy, fruit and beer are all fine, but they ought to be separate in my opinion).

Hadn't bought this stuff in a couple years or so, as they'd switched to shipping the Oatis up with vanilla added, an off-shoot of the original. Cough-syrupy-tasting beer is another turn-off for me. Was glad to see the classic 'Oatis' on the shelf.

Tasty stuff.

moose eater

2007 San Polo Brunello di Montalcino. It will go nicely with the spaghetti sauce that I have been simmering for 5 hours.
We're 'pairing' the Oatis with the Seahawks-49ers game.

Had chicken breakfast sausage links with one egg, over medium, on a slice of toasted sprouted grain whole wheat toast for brunch.

Not much on the alcohol buzz as a rule, but drink a beer each mid-day, and either another beer that evening, or, when being more carbohydrate conscious, perhaps my regular and now-infamous tequila and pomegranate juice beverage..

Though the Italian Prosecco, at either 3.2 or 3.8 grams of carbohydrate per flute, is a tasty beverage with scant harmful contents.

But how often do you see folks yelling at a television set and a group of opposing players dressed in expensive spandex, over 'flutes' of Prosecco; seems out of place, doesn't it?

tobedetermined

Premium user
ICMag Donor
420giveaway
Well, I am drinking down my cellar . . .

Years ago, I started buying wine for 'my cellar.' I ended up with over 200 bottles of good wine. Spanish, French & Italian with a few Yanks & Aussies. Now that I am retired and I can't afford better wine at the store (that is too young anyway), I have a good stockpile of perfectly aged wine that is very, very drinkable. :rasta: For once, I planned well.

moose eater

Apparently, we've decided to celebrate New Year's morning 2-weeks and 1 day late.. It happens

I was up doing a reload on my computer's OS, dealing with someone in West Africa, and so with coffee at 4:30 A.M. 'it' ensued, with the guy ringing back several times due to my computer's efficient security system not allowing him in, I'm sure to my sleeping wife's chagrin; it all seemed appropriate at the time.

That morphed into, "Hey, while this thing takes most of an hour to catch up on its ancient history and related gaps, I'll have a few puffs of hash, and make my wife and I chicken breakfast sausages, an egg and slice of toast each (though my wife doesn't eat breakfast as a matter of policy), & I'll present her with black French Roast coffee with 40% heavy whipping cream and the breakfast." Seemed rational at the time, though the several puffs of hash may have influenced that.

It occurred to me that, apparently, this whole conspiracy to reduce the planet's population via numerous nefarious means, simultaneously has Bill Gates employing West Africans. Huh.. A whole 'nother mystery of incongruence in thought, if you ask me, but who knows?

Some place in there I joked with my wife, nearing 7:00 A.M., that we should pop open the bottle of Italian Prosecco that was in the fridge, though I recalled my wife intending to work from home today at some point, thus I was mostly joking....

That early-morning, hash-influenced brain fart seemingly took hold, and my wife discovered that violating all of these policies in one fell swoop had resulted in a fantastic morning. Breakfast together, and all.

The next thing I knew, she was handing me a flute of Prosecco, having popped the cork outside at +3 f. on the front porch (I usually aim for her automobile's hood or beyond; I wasn't paying attention sufficiently to even know this was occurring, so I have no clue what she aimed the cork at) and stating that though the 2 flutes were of different designs, she'd measured their respective volumes, and they were, indeed, identical;~6 oz. if full.

Sunday morning trivia before the Buffalo-Miami football game; neither of which do we tend to have any interest in.

So, it's a French Roast & whipping cream coffee, 1/2-bottle of Prosecco kind of morning.

Last edited: