What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best coco Nutrient? Advanced, Canna, OR H&G

jamrockjay

I have used H & G (freebie) in the past and they worked very well even tho i just checked/corrected the ph and never bothered with ppm/ec.
I am going to be using the atami wilma 4 pot system growing with coco on a drip feed on my next grow, so my question is, are there any 'brands' i need to steer away from due to glogging issues? as i have never fed this way b4 (hand fed in past). Many thx all

cultiv8

I would go with Advanced Nutrients. There's regular and organic options, you know the quality is there... it's an easy choice for me.

707Corridor

Ive used the Canna line for 2 years and loved it. When I started going to a new shop they carried both canna and H&G...I thought I would give H&G a try since I heard it was good and when I ran my numbers it cost me less then Canna.
So the past year Ive been using H&G.

It seems canna and H&G are the nutes I would recommend with coco..I've never had any problems with either of them. there pretty str8 forward and always seem consistent.

Solidopc

I'm very much on the canna side if things for coco. Works so well there's no need to change in my opinion. I also think canna produces better tasting end product than some other companies.

They are both expensive for several reasons. High quality, very consistant- but really its not that hard to do that.

There are 2 final reasons the shit is so pricey:
1) It's imported. And its heavy liquids. Shipping=money.
2) It's convenient. And you will pay for convenience everytime.

For new folks these nutrient lines take the guess work completely out. But they are also less flexible as a result. A two part is not as flexible as a three. As you advance in skill as a grower, you tend to want to have things simple, but completely controlable.

Canna and H&G are good places to start and work extrememly well (you may never want to move to another like, keep it simple and just pay for it), but you can definately save money using other lines if you come to understand growing better, and can actually have more control of the nutrients. The drawback here is you can more easily make a mistake.

Most of the nutrient favorites we use for coco are three parts in nature:
1) A veg
2) A bloom
3) A calcium magnesium

This is the way GH works (kinda ish), Botanicare, Pura Vida, and others. The calcium goes sepperate because it is so unstable. It also allows a coco grower to control the owww so critical element which is so often a problem with coco grows. It can also be the source of many a growers headache.

Because Canna and H&G are two parts if you change the ratios of the two to try and flex your NPK OR to raise/lower your calcium/mag level the one will effect the other. It does not allow for much flex in the base nutrient.

But then again it is very very well formulated and user friendly.

There are obviously many options for additives to the backbone nutrient. You also have choices between more organic or synthetic options on your additives. Once you understand the catagories each additive holds (kelp hormones, p/k booster, sugar-microlife booster, rooting, superbloomer, flusher, etc.) the more you can mix and match brands with success and ease. The better I have gotten at growing the less things I use; and the more I have one thing cover several bases. I also choose what is effective and priced well. I also have many things for just certain parts of the cycle- just like the way the H&G and Canna programs run.

But this comes over time. Right off the bat I would say H & G is the way to go, and a bit cheaper then Canna and works incredibly well.

Personally I run Pura Vida for it's organicness in bloom (though they just lost OMRI), which saves me from using so many additives since it's pretty much got everything in it. Humics, fulvic, no need for a p/k booster, kelp, sugar . . I add some organics: bloom kelp sprays/teas/sugar to it. Things are as banging as any H&G or Canna garden I have seen and I use way less, and cheaper bottles. Though, as a base Pura Vida costs me about the same as H&G Coco's.

In my veg I use GH, but could easily switch to H&G A/B.

The dude who started this wants to make his medicine nicer- I think though his environment might need a look over, and more often then not thats a bit player in quality.

spaguiver

if quality is your main concern then you must go organic. any nutrient line will work well in coco if you keep a few things in min d
1. coco loves salt, it grows in saltwater most of the time, and so it holds salts very easily. if there is an excess of calcium the coco will hold on to it and lock out potassium. then you will see deficiencys.
2. fi coco is allowed to dry out it starts decomposing at a faster rate and frees up a lot of phosphorus which will start giving you burns.
3. coco also drops out magnesium easily in any situation, so you should supplement (lightly)

you can get hydroponic like yields in coconut, because of it's high CEC, with simple organic methods.

AN is expensive because of large advertisisng costs and a pretty picture. remember you want quality inside the bottle not the outside. also you might get large yields with AN but you might as well grow big bud because everything is now going to taste generic.

H&G was originally developed for rose food and is all hormones, salts, and other shady materials that they wont even release data for, drip clean is an additive that doesn't actually flush your plants. what it does is create an ionic bond with the salts in your media so that the plant can't absorb it as easily, which is devastating to the coco if you want to reuse it.

reusing your coco is a great thing if you can keep it clean and under control. i reuse mine for about 12 -15 months and i get higher yields every time, because my microbiology is becoming more prevelant in the media which helps with a large number of things. the bacteria, trichoderma, micorhizae, fungus and enzymes help to break down all of the leftover organics from previous crops which helps aerate the media, supplies nutrition in the form of whatever the plant is in most need of because of enzymatic excretory signals between the roots and the biology which help regulate how thigs are broken down.
if you want a good product, worry about you environment and the quality of what you feed your plants. yields will come with experience not a guarantee from the marketing research team at AN.

headimonster

AN is too expensive IMO, humboldt nutes seems like the way 2 go for anything, they're A&B formula has no EDTA's in it, which turns me on since i like to rock out with mycos, fungi, and compost teas.....otherwise i would check out aurora innovations roots line ......

My feeling on AN is a whole lotta hype and really high prices. For a company that claims (and has videos on YouTube) of their nutrient being specifically designed for our crop their product usages are still way too high on the labels. If you followed them, you would fry your shit- or so I have been told by the guys at the shop.

The youtube video of the side by side grow were they show then winning over GH yeildwise is off somehow. There is no way they fairly compaired those nutrients. There is NO way they even followed their own labels in that test or their plants would be dead.

And a 14 part formula? Are you kidding me? The only reason to do that is to charge someone a lot of money. Ridiculous. That alone makes me very wary of anything they say. And they say a fuck of a lot, and come across like they know something no one else does. Their website has so much crap on it, it's almost useless. They know stuff others don't??? Ummmm no. . I don't think so.

I gather a few of their products are cool from hearing people talk about them again and again, but I use none of them and don't see any reason to at this time.

For a new grower (or any grower actually) I would NEVER EVER recommend AN. Guarenteed headache, and too confusing to use well.

bens lab

Hesi coco stuff is really good, healthiest grow i've had so far, cheap too. You only need the tnt, bloom & pk really.

greenatik

shit, AN is expensive? same price for their 3 part as GH flora. I switched to AN and have seen noticeable improvements because the P and K is lower. No more burn in that department and much better numbers for when I add in koolbloom and other additives. monkey juice/connoisseur I can agree about pricey and most likely not worth it. give the 3 part a try.

6 ml micro / 10 ml bloom

N-P-K-MG

90 – 52 – 92 - 36
I also use 4 ml sweet / gallon to bump the MG up to about 65
full strength everday 10% runoff flush once a week

greenatik

My feeling on AN is a whole lotta hype and really high prices. For a company that claims (and has videos on YouTube) of their nutrient being specifically designed for our crop their product usages are still way too high on the labels. If you followed them, you would fry your shit- or so I have been told by the guys at the shop.

The youtube video of the side by side grow were they show then winning over GH yeildwise is off somehow. There is no way they fairly compaired those nutrients. There is NO way they even followed their own labels in that test or their plants would be dead.

And a 14 part formula? Are you kidding me? The only reason to do that is to charge someone a lot of money. Ridiculous. That alone makes me very wary of anything they say. And they say a fuck of a lot, and come across like they know something no one else does. Their website has so much crap on it, it's almost useless. They know stuff others don't??? Ummmm no. . I don't think so.

I gather a few of their products are cool from hearing people talk about them again and again, but I use none of them and don't see any reason to at this time.

For a new grower (or any grower actually) I would NEVER EVER recommend AN. Guarenteed headache, and too confusing to use well.

have you ever personally used AN? or are you just relaying what the guys at the shop told you? as far as saying they know stuff others don't, thats all marketing my friend. Wendys.... so much better than fast food. right?

Use a nutrient calculator, why go off the label? I do believe that 14 part is excessive but their 3 part has better numbers IMO than GH.

greenatik

if quality is your main concern then you must go organic. any nutrient line will work well in coco if you keep a few things in min d
1. coco loves salt, it grows in saltwater most of the time, and so it holds salts very easily. if there is an excess of calcium the coco will hold on to it and lock out potassium. then you will see deficiencys.
2. fi coco is allowed to dry out it starts decomposing at a faster rate and frees up a lot of phosphorus which will start giving you burns.
3. coco also drops out magnesium easily in any situation, so you should supplement (lightly)

you can get hydroponic like yields in coconut, because of it's high CEC, with simple organic methods.

AN is expensive because of large advertisisng costs and a pretty picture. remember you want quality inside the bottle not the outside. also you might get large yields with AN but you might as well grow big bud because everything is now going to taste generic.

H&G was originally developed for rose food and is all hormones, salts, and other shady materials that they wont even release data for, drip clean is an additive that doesn't actually flush your plants. what it does is create an ionic bond with the salts in your media so that the plant can't absorb it as easily, which is devastating to the coco if you want to reuse it.

reusing your coco is a great thing if you can keep it clean and under control. i reuse mine for about 12 -15 months and i get higher yields every time, because my microbiology is becoming more prevelant in the media which helps with a large number of things. the bacteria, trichoderma, micorhizae, fungus and enzymes help to break down all of the leftover organics from previous crops which helps aerate the media, supplies nutrition in the form of whatever the plant is in most need of because of enzymatic excretory signals between the roots and the biology which help regulate how thigs are broken down.
if you want a good product, worry about you environment and the quality of what you feed your plants. yields will come with experience not a guarantee from the marketing research team at AN.

spaguiver do you mind explaining your organic regimen. i'd love to try organic in coco but don't have a clue in that department

thanks,
greenz

spaguiver

greenatik- chose any, organic, base nutrient that you want. I recomend starting with pure blend original, with a good carbohidrate (blackstrap molasis, hum. honey, etc...), myco from aurora ("oregonism"), unscented clean epsom salt (for sulphur and magnesium), and always use E.J. Catalyst.
remember chlorine, and chloramine kill all beneficials so dechlorinate your water.

anytime you have a deficiency give them a good flush with a wetting agent. The following watering should be full strength and it almost always corrects the prob.
if you have an overdose, flush the same followed by half strength nutes about a week later, when the problem stops continue feeding full strength.

I have never used AN, though I have seen others use it plenty enough. I don't just trust the shop guys, or a website, or anything to be 100%- I try to gather as much verifiable info as possible. But when I hear it again and again from multiple sources, plus see it first hand with one of my friends it starts to sound like there is something behind it.

I can definately see the cost of the labels. Sounds like their three part might be worth looking at. Many companies usually have a gem product in their lines. I use Earth Juice Catalyst- but would never try to use Bloom or Grow in hydro. There are a lot of GH products, Botanicare products that I wouldn't use either, even though some of their other products rock the house.

jocat

re

re

after a year using H&G with very good results i am ready to make the switch to an organic coco grow, i like what you said spag, and will try using pure blend as a base....my real question is can you give a detailed description of your regimen for a 6 week bloom cycle...i know, i'm wanting to know now without the learning curve...but hey i'm a lazy stoner at heart:joint:

greenatik

just wanted to fix what I said earlier. advanced 3 part is actually cheaper by 5 bucks then the flora 3 part. just saw it today at the hydro store

grapeman

Veteran
Use whatever works

Use whatever works

I have farmed my whole life. My grandfather used to say "all you need to grow grapes was soil, water and sunshine". As I accumulated years of experience, I began to branch out and experiment with soil bacteria, growth hormones humic, fulvic, liquid manure, cytokinins, growth hormones and the like in the 1980's and '90's. But the N-P-K and minor elements were put out to bid every year, and I always went with the lowest bidder. And believe me, I used a lot. My fertilizer bill started to bulge with all the "extra" products, and if they improved anything at all it was only marginal.
So, pick a line (unless you want to buy CAN-17, P and Potassium nitrate and mix your own) and stay with it. As your own experience grows, so will your crop and knowledge. More money, IMO, isn't going to a "silver bullet" make.

Try not to get caught up in the hype. It’s easy to see another product and think that that if you only added this to your mix it will be nirvana. Never happens.

Me? I use H & G and am still learning rates, timing vs. strains and needs. I was still learning after 35 years of growing grapes. I find H & G less expensive then others when all things are considered. I can understand the label and why the ingredients are mixed the way they are.

All you really need is soil, water and light.