What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

YUKONS Cabinet (w/ pics)

marx2k

Veteran
i do like this design and it does mimic closely what my plans for a cab are. Though I don't plan to have the flower and veg cab connected. I plan to have the exhaust from the veg cab go to the flower cab via ducting so they can be seperated later (like as in seperate rooms, if need be).

So my flower room should be 3x3x6 and veg shd be 2x2x4 or 3x3x4 (probably 2x2).

A few questions: You used pine. Would you recommend others use pine also? (consider warping, sturdiness and cost)

You are not using reflectors for your hurricane cooltubes. Does this screw up your light footprint? I'm strongly considering purchasing 6" cooltubes with internal reflectors so I don't lose a lot of light.

Why did you choose to go with this sort of passive intake instead of going with Darkroom Light Tight Louvers?

Why did you choose to use 2 cooltubes with lower wattage vs 1 cooltube with higher wattage? (I'm guessing light ditribution?)

Your cloner has a clear top. Does that not cause problems with algae production after some time? Or do you switch out the water frequently?

What did you use for the frame wood? Is that also pine? Is pine pretty heavy?

If you were to build another one of these cabs, would you use thicker framing wood? like 1"x1" or something?

Your sliding floor was right on! How much weight can that hold? I want to build something like that for my cab also! Can you give a little more detail about the sliding brackets and what theyre called/where you got them?

I noticed your cooltube intakes were right next to the wall which doesnt leave much air passage. Do you see this as possibly becoming a problem at a later point?
The bulbs are also closer to the one end of the wall while your res is in the center. Do you see this as becoming a problem when you're in full flower? What would be your solution for that?

In the same thought, do you think that the distance of your clones from the flouros is going to be an issue? If those passive intake PVC bends were removed and a darkroom louver was installed, this might solve that issue.

Not really a question but, I do like your shelf setup. Very nice and compact.

NOKUY

Veteran
"PersonalSmoke", "FJ", and "marx2k" thanks for stoppin' by guys:wave:...I'm still doin' the final projects, and I got my res. and screen done today. I'll post those in a min. I was gonna answer Marx2k's Q's first tho.

marx2k said:
i

A few questions:
You used pine. Would you recommend others use pine also? (consider warping, sturdiness and cost)
Pine is good, its cheap, and isnt' too heavy (hardwoods like oak are heavy) I'm not worried about anything warping since it's all primer sealed/painted and stained and the panels being framed will help prevent that

You are not using reflectors for your hurricane cooltubes. Does this screw up your light footprint? I'm strongly considering purchasing 6" cooltubes with internal reflectors so I don't lose a lot of light.
I have reflectors they just arent set up yet...ill post pics when they are

Why did you choose to go with this sort of passive intake instead of going with Darkroom Light Tight Louvers?
just what I had available, and what I was most familiar with...no other reason

Why did you choose to use 2 cooltubes with lower wattage vs 1 cooltube with higher wattage? (I'm guessing light ditribution?)
again just what I had available. like u said tho, I do think it will help cover the whole area more evenly. also should be able to get the light a bit closer to the 150's than say a 250 or 400 (i can touch the glass all day and not get hot...barely just warm)

Your cloner has a clear top. Does that not cause problems with algae production after some time? Or do you switch out the water frequently?
I change the water evry cpl. days...so i wasnt too worried about it. If it ever becomes a problem I'll black it out

What did you use for the frame wood? Is that also pine? Is pine pretty heavy?
it just 3/4" X 2 1/2" pine boards. They had a pile of them at HD when I was there and they were 50 cents a piece and were all about 4 feet long....I just cut them down from there, and they worked perfect to frame the thing....not too heavy at all either

If you were to build another one of these cabs, would you use thicker framing wood? like 1"x1" or something?
No because I didnt wanna sacrafice too much interior space (grow space)to framing the thing

Your sliding floor was right on! How much weight can that hold? I want to build something like that for my cab also! Can you give a little more detail about the sliding brackets and what theyre called/where you got them?
they are just heavy duty "drawer slides". they are at home depot, and the ones I got hold 100#. (I paid 16 bucks for them). I think they are designed to mount on the sides of a drawer, but the mount just fine on the floor. this also leaves an air gap between the floor and the shelf for air to come in thru the bottem light traps

I noticed your cooltube intakes were right next to the wall which doesnt leave much air passage. Do you see this as possibly becoming a problem at a later point?
they are being reconfigured, to center in the cab better...in preliminary runs w/ the fans and lights running it didnt seem to matter tho...temps were fine (below 80) and air was moving through real good

The bulbs are also closer to the one end of the wall while your res is in the center. Do you see this as becoming a problem when you're in full flower? What would be your solution for that?
see above Q

In the same thought, do you think that the distance of your clones from the flouros is going to be an issue? If those passive intake PVC bends were removed and a darkroom louver was installed, this might solve that issue.
I dont see it bein' a problem....I have a smaller cloner, that will fit in there w/ my moms and they fit fine w/ 3 plants and the smaller cloner....if I wanna move the clones closer I can prop them up on an upside down pot or whatever. The lightroom louver might work better tho. :confused:

Not really a question but, I do like your shelf setup. Very nice and compact.

I hope that helps some
-yukon

NOKUY

Veteran
ok I got the res and scrog screen done

The res. is sort of different. Its actually (2) rubbermaid 30qt tubs sandwiched togeter. Mainly for rigidity and added strenght, but I also painted the inside of the outside tub black...this way the paint won't ever get damaged/scratched and show any light thru.

I also sprayed a bunch of that expanding foam insulation in between the two tubs to make like a make-shift cooler. I haven't ever seen anyone else do this, but I got the idea from seeing a cpl. real good DWC grows in regular Coleman coolers so I figure I'd improvise something like that since they dont make coolers this shallow (7")...I couldn't find one anyway. not sure if it will make any difference, but I figure I give it a try.

heres the foam insulation, and the outside res. before putting the two together.

My SCROG screen and frame is a shameless copy of "MtnJohns". different measurement of course, but the same idea. .

Heres the whole thing together w/out the res.

I added some elbows w/ threads and threaded fitting to the top to make everything really stable.

here it is w/ the res.

Here it is in the cab...you can see the screen is built slightly offset so that it fits the cab perfectly since the res. goes in off center a bit.

clones are showin lots of roots in the cloner, so it wont be long 'til there is action in the flower cab :woohoo:

NOKUY

Veteran
pontiac said:
God Damn!

LOL thanks "Pontiac" :wave: and thanks for addin' it to the DIY thread...Awesome Bro!

"big bud bear" nice cab bro....and thanks for stoppin by I cant wait to start the first flower cycle in this one...stay posted!

ogrefugee

Official Tree Taster
Veteran
well well i'm glad to see that the cold winter hasn't been slowing you down...

we should chat some time buddy, i'd love to give you and update.

NOKUY

Veteran
"sow the seeds" and "OG" :wave:

Thanks for stoppin in guys!
There should be some good updates this weekend.

NOKUY

Veteran
"Blackvelvet", Minds_i", "brah", and "HAPPYTREE" :wave: thanks for stoppin by, and glad you like the cab so far.

well it's running full on now, and I have clones in the flower chamber w/ a full res.

I reconfigured the lights so they hit perfect, and I got my reflectors installed too....so the show is on.

temps in the room are 70ish, and the cab is running at 76ish w/ both 150's runnin and the floros.

I went with lavarocks instead of hydroton, and I've got the clones in 3" netpots.

I picked (2) clones of FJ's "Cherry Chunk" which is Mr Greengenes CherryBomb/DF´s Venomberry X Deep Chunk IBL male

and (2) of his "Kalimist/x13 /Thai X Deep Chunk" a different pheno of each.

Next run I'll be doin (4) skunkyballs/7 all same pheno.

I'm using GH Floranova for my nutes.

All I have left to do is finish the carbon scrubber, and weatherstrip the doors and install the cabinet locks.

I'll post some pics in a bit showing the light re-configuration, etc...

-yukon :wave:

Last edited:

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Hey Yuk, did you catch my reply on the other thread about the FloraNova nutes?

I'm using them too, wanted to compare notes.

BTW, I listened to that CD you recommended. You were right, it was excelleint. Way above what I expected.

Thanks for the good vibes!

Edit: Did you ever try that Orange Shellac I recommended? I think you'd like the effect.

Last edited:

NOKUY

Veteran
"walkabout" thanks for the props :wave:

"nitetiger" glad you like the CD bro...LOL,

I didnt use the shellac, since I already stained it, but I'm building a tiny version of this for a friend.....closer to the size of a PC case w/ a 70 watt hps, and just for a flower chamber...I'm out of stain, so I'll try that on the little one...it def. sounds good.

here is a quick pic of the re-configured lights, they fit perfect now, and I got the reflectors on there too.

For now I just re-used the reflectors that came out of their original industrial light housings and put some hooks on 'em...they work good for what they are.

I also lined the top of my res w/ foil tape, it's VERY black under the tape too, so there def. will be no light gettin thru.

I'm not taking pics of the clones yet...they just went in yesterday, and still look a bit ruff.

here's those lights now

G

wow yukon, you're cab has come together beautifully! you have some delicious sounding strains to run in there, i will definately be watching this.