What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

Smith111

This reminds me of a time I was listening to Rush Limbaugh maybe 15-20 years ago.

He announced a new climate study with a long rant about how astonishing this study was, because the researchers said “right up front” that they don’t know what they were doing and had no idea what they were talking about, that they *admitted it up-front*....

Turns out I was already familiar with the study he was talking about: the preface to the report stated that the study had found warming trends worsening *much faster* than their models predicted, and that it showed the need for research into not just why but *how* the model was wrong, because better more accurate data would help us plan better for the future.

And now here you are with this...”Science” indeed.. you might try learning some. Waiting for you to show PROOF that the scientists “completely made up” their data - but not holding my breath.

Speaking of idiots: I found fault with your opinion piece from the Blaze. That’s all.

Believe me, if I had attacked you personally, everyone reading this would know WITHOUT A DOUBT that I had done so....

Dude..... Couple things

First off, I clearly wasn't talking about you when I said personal attacks, that was clearly TJO, as I stated.

Second, you said, "Waiting for you to show PROOF that the scientists “completely made up” their data - but not holding my breath."

The scientist themselves made that statement, and have corrected their work...... I thought you said you read the article? What more proof do you need than the source admitting it?

White Beard

Dude..... Couple things
G’mornin’ Bud, fire away

First off, I clearly wasn't talking about you when I said personal attacks, that was clearly TJO, as I stated.
I did not notice that. Thanks for sayin’.

Second, you said, "Waiting for you to show PROOF that the scientists “completely made up” their data - but not holding my breath."

The scientist themselves made that statement, and have corrected their work...... I thought you said you read the article? What more proof do you need than the source admitting it?
Because the article doesn’t make YOUR point, by which I mean that there was no claim of fabricated or falsified data, analysis, OR conclusions. There was no admission statement that they made up anything.

The paper was criticized for showing greater confidence than their data supported, not that their data was wrong, or cherry-picked, not that their conclusions were invalid, or presented in a devious manner.

A scientist said the criticism was valid and acknowledged responsibility and said would fix it. I see no bad guy in here.

Happy Sunday, guy - enjoy your wake-up!

White Beard

“Smith111” said:
The next time somebody says global warming is stalled because the oceans have trapped all the heat, now we all know that was complete bullshit. Even the scientist that conducted the study admitted they made it up. It has now been officially changed to note the oceans have not absorbed the missing heat from the air. Complete global warming hysteria. Kind of like TJO, and is inability to think.... Just another useful idiot.
Since your proof doesn’t prove what you say, maybe you should reconsider these remarks....

kickarse

One week till summer starts, yesterday was 10c under the Nov long term average
today is not much better
got a fire going, going to try and pump as much Co2 as i can into me local atmosphere
try and warm it up a bit:good:

H

hard rain

One week till summer starts, yesterday was 10c under the Nov long term average
today is not much better
got a fire going, going to try and pump as much Co2 as i can into me local atmosphere
try and warm it up a bit:good:

I thought this discussion was about climate, not weather?

Come back when you understand the difference.

St. Phatty

They're kind of inter-twined.

Man made climate change (burning a cubic mile of oil & coal every year adds a few parts per million to the atmosphere, and the plants like that)

interacts with seasonal weather, a high pressure system gets stuck over an area in inland NorCal and drives day temps over 100 F, and BAM

In the case of Redding the BAM was someone with a flat tire sparking the grass back the end of July 2018. They came out & confessed.

The hot weather made the result of climate change (more combustible fuel) that much more impactful.

kickarse

Come back when you understand the difference.

gotcha, so the weather has nothing to do with the climate
that's good to know, and explains the IPCC's stance on "climate change"/"global warming"

we can disregard daily/weekly/monthly and yearly weather
and just concentrate on 30 year periods of ? not of a collection of the daily weather so it seems

The IPCC ignore all the record cold weather around the globe, tell everyone its the hottest( day week month year)30 years "ever" and the sheep believe

you believers should get out of the basement and head outside for a bit of sunshine, before the next ice age gets here

Night4wings20

gotcha, so the weather has nothing to do with the climate
that's good to know, and explains the IPCC's stance on "climate change"/"global warming"

we can disregard daily/weekly/monthly and yearly weather
and just concentrate on 30 year periods of ? not of a collection of the daily weather so it seems

The IPCC ignore all the record cold weather around the globe, tell everyone its the hottest( day week month year)30 years "ever" and the sheep believe

you believers should get out of the basement and head outside for a bit of sunshine, before the next ice age gets here

You shouldn't call people sheep when you (like sheep) follow another ideal of thought. Pretty funny isn't it? How you can be right and a hypocrite at the same time...

Hermanthegerman

Veteran
I am watching a lot of nature and animal documentations. Often from Sibiria, Scandinavia or Greenland, Canada/Alaska and in every documentation they tell about, how the climate had changed in the last years. Scientist, Inuit or other people which are living there since 100s of generations, they tell it by the way, it´s not the main theme.

igrowone

Veteran
El Niño southern oscillation
Climate-warming El Niño very likely in 2019, says UN agency

Natural cycle has major influence on global weather, bringing droughts and floods

There is a 75-80% chance of a climate-warming El Niño event by February, according to the latest analysis from the UN’s World Meteorological Organization.

The last El Niño event ended in 2016 and helped make that year the hottest ever recorded by adding to the heating caused by humanity’s carbon emissions. The 2019 event is not currently forecast to be as strong as in 2016.

El Niño events occur naturally every few years and stem from abnormally high ocean temperatures in the western Pacific. They have a major influence on weather around the globe, bringing droughts to normally damp places, such as parts of Australia, and floods to normally drier regions, such as in South America. The high temperatures also cause major bleaching on coral reefs.

“The forecast El Niño is not expected to be as powerful as the event in 2015-2016,” said Maxx Dilley, the director of WMO’s climate prediction and adaptation branch. “Even so, it can still significantly affect rainfall and temperature patterns in many regions, with important consequences to agriculture and food security, and for management of water resources and public health. It may also combine with long-term climate change to boost 2019 global temperatures.”

Forecasters in the US have already warned of an imminent El Niño. Australia’s Bureau of Meteorology said in October that a dry, hot summer was very likely, with increased risk of heatwaves and bushfires and no relief for already drought-stricken farmers. There is evidence that climate change is making the effects of El Niño more severe.

The heat boost from El Niño helped 2016 to be the hottest year ever recorded. The following year, 2017, was ranked equal second, but was the hottest for a year without an El Niño. Scientists expect 2018, which saw climate-related disasters around the globe, to be the fourth hottest on record.
Extreme global weather is 'the face of climate change' says leading scientist

Billions of tonnes of carbon emissions are continuing and greenhouse gases are at record concentrations, meaning their heating effect is stronger than ever. But whether a new El Niño will help make 2019 a new record remains to be seen.

“The developing El Niño conditions are likely to contribute to warmer global average temperature in 2019 – it is a little too early to say whether or not it will be a record year,” said Tim Stockdale, at the European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecasts.

In any case, human-caused global warming has resulted in 17 of the 18 hottest years recorded since 1850 occurring between 2000 and 2017. Scientific analyses have shown that many extreme weather events have been made more severe or more likely by climate change.

The WMO analysis estimated the chance of a fully-fledged El Niño event between December 2018 and February 2019 at 75-80%, with a 60% chance of it continuing to April 2019. A strong El Niño sees western Pacific sea surface temperatures reaching at least 1.5C more than average. Current model predictions for the imminent El Niño range from 0.8C to 1.2C above average.

igrowone

Veteran
latest ice happenings

latest ice happenings

what a quiet thread now, some nice data is all it needs
north pole is doing its freeze, not too dramatic
but these days there's always something
well below normal ice levels, but isn't it always these days?
big open patch of water north of alaska, been there a while, warm ocean currents are believed to be the cause

Attachments

• N_daily_extent_hires.jpg
    N_daily_extent_hires.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 6
  • N_iqr_timeseries.jpg
    N_iqr_timeseries.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 7
I

Ignignokt

I saw a thing with Ben Shapiro giving his thoughts about how people will just 'adapt' to rising sea water....
He says if the ocean rose by 5-10 feet the people on the coast would just sell their houses and move inland :biglaugh:
Sell underwater homes?? Who are these people who are going to be buying these houses??
A real genius....

igrowone

Veteran
Reindeer in Sweden usually migrate in November. But there's still no snow.
“I can't ask my father what to do now because he hasn’t seen this; it hasn’t happened during his lifetime.”

Dec. 5, 2018 / 5:46 AM EST / Updated 6:07 AM EST
By Linda Givetash

It may be December but almost 100 miles north of the Arctic Circle there’s still not enough snow for reindeer to begin their annual migration.

Sweden’s indigenous Sami people have herded the animals for generations, with the corral usually happening over a two-week period in November.

But this year the tradition has been postponed because temperatures keep fluctuating above and below the freezing mark.

“Something is really wrong with nature,” said Niila Inga, 37, who lives in Sweden’s northernmost town of Kiruna. “I can't ask my father what to do now because he hasn’t seen this; it hasn’t happened during his lifetime.”

The past four years have been the warmest on record globally, according to the World Meteorological Organisation.

Reindeer husbandry is carried out in countries throughout the Arctic including Norway, Russia and China. A 2009 report on the future of the practice says that there are 3,000 reindeer herders in Sweden alone, and a total of nearly 100,000 globally.

It's a family business. Inga said he took the lead from his father when he turned 18 and works alongside 17 other full-time herders in the community that includes his cousins and nephew.

Every September, reindeer are gathered and killed for meat. It’s the main source of income for the herders.

After the slaughter, the remaining reindeer are left to graze in the wild until it’s time for the winter migration eastward to better grazing territory. For Inga, that's a trek of more than 62 miles.

Herders follow the animals on snowmobile, spending nights in cabins along the route. Children get the time off school to take part in the process.

“Everything is connected to the reindeer and the reindeer herding,” Inga said. “It’s something you’re born and raised in.”

But Inga, who is also the chairman of the Swedish Sami Association, believes "something is shifting."

The snow is vital to every aspect of reindeer husbandry so this winter's erratic freeze-thaw cycle is a problem.

Research suggests the effects of global warming are amplified at the poles, with average air temperatures rising faster than elsewhere on the planet. This results in the rapid loss of ice, according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Colorado. This year's winter freeze is being forecast to come late for the Scandanavian region and ice formation will be below-average.

The herders need the snow for their own travels through the wild terrain. Snow also makes it easier for the Sami to track reindeer and predators.

Most importantly, the snow impacts vegetation. A delayed winter could be viewed as a good thing, allowing the reindeer more time to graze by the mountains, Inga said. But it could also lead to the reindeer trampling the plants and prompt overgrazing.

Research is backing up the changes the Sami are witnessing. Gunhild Rosqvist, a geography professor at Stockholm University, is part of a team studying the changing Arctic landscape, including the accelerating loss of glacier ice in the Scandinavian mountains.

Rosqvist is currently working with the herders to study how weather variability is impacting the animals.

It's becoming clear the animals are migrating into new areas — despite roads and other development blocking their path — which in turn is forcing herders to change their practices, she said.

The expansion of mining, wind-energy farms and tourism across northern Sweden is cutting back on the available land.

The entire town of Kiruna is being forced to move because of the neighboring iron ore mine.

“The combined pressure of all this and climate change is really pushing some of these communities over the tipping point,” Rosqvist said.

Reindeer migration is just one of the many symptoms of the warming climate.

This summer saw Sweden’s highest peak lose that status due to glacial melt while wildfires spanned an unprecedented 61,775 acres across the country amid record hot and dry conditions.

A huge section of a glacier near Rosqvist's northern research station unexpectedly broke loose in an ice avalanche, she said, shocking scientists.

“It’s an emergency,” Rosqvist added. “The whole ecosystem is so delicate.”

Despite the rapid changes to the landscape, the Sami are trying to adapt. Inga said herders are discussing what to do if the land fails to provide enough food for the reindeer.

“We don’t want to feed them because it isn’t natural and it’s part of our culture,” Inga said. The reindeer are semi-domesticated and bringing in food could change their behavior dramatically, he said. It could also affect the quality of the meat.

Sanna Vannar, president of the Sami youth association Sáminuorra, said members hope that they’ll be able to continue the traditions of their forefathers.

The association joined 10 families across Europe and Africa to lodge a lawsuit against the European Union in May for failing to reduce greenhouse gas emissions responsible for climate change.

The lawsuit specifically cites the challenges reindeer are having in finding food due to the warming climate and the repercussions it, in turn, has on Sami culture and livelihoods.

"It's really bad for young reindeer herders because they every day have to think about the weather," Vannar said. "I can't see my life without reindeer."
Linda Givetash

Linda Givetash is a reporter based in London. She previously worked for The Canadian Press in Vancouver and Nation Media in Uganda.

I

Ignignokt

Trump sitting in air conditioned room- 'Weather seems normal to me.... Chinese hoax'

kickarse

At long last global warming/climate change has arrived, spring pretty much never happened this year (again)
we have gone from 12/13/14c most days to 32/38c and 20+ overnight in the space of a week, now that's what i call runaway global warming
although we could probably just call it Summer

igrowone

Veteran
At long last global warming/climate change has arrived, spring pretty much never happened this year (again)
we have gone from 12/13/14c most days to 32/38c and 20+ overnight in the space of a week, now that's what i call runaway global warming
although we could probably just call it Summer

actually, we see something pretty close
we have winter, then it goes to summer, very little spring in between
patterns are changing

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
At least the Canadian growing season will get longer. I pity the corn belt though. It'll be a return to Black Blizzards. Hence, The Dirty Thirties.

[iframeb]Ep7-7x2sp8Y[/iframeb]