What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Have you looked at the North Pole lately?

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
solstices are markers for transition of cycles of precession.
similar to the point you turn on your cars heater, it isn't immediately warm, but it is the transition to warming the interior...warming requires a minnit...(an analogy).

there is speculation that solar output is affected by transiting the galactic current sheet, in cycles correlated to our understanding of the eleven year cycle, only bigger/longer.

as above, so below. fractal cohesion of the entire universe.

How the sun affects temperatures on Earth (w/ Valentina Zharkova, Northumbria University)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyyuouPSNEA

[youtubeif]JyyuouPSNEA[/youtubeif]

:xmastree:

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Very interesting. Not like your usual posts, trich: this looks at PCAM, which is as described. The study anticipates that both PCAM and outbreaks will reduce by up to 40% over the next 75 years - meaning that any cooling effect on global temperatures will be reduced by a substantial amount.

In the event this comes to pass (I don’t doubt the research), global temperatures should increase dramatically as the ameliorating effects of PCAM shrink. Not pleasant to think of temperature rise getting effectively a boost as 2100 approaches, but the prospect was already unpleasant.

i occasionally throw your side a bone to keep you interested. snark, chortle, cough, hiccup. pardon me.
i seek some balance in visualizing the extremes of calamity we may be forced to survive. warmth is much more preferred than the ice/snow/cold that appears to me to be the future.

imo, we need to begin building infrastructure underground and undersea that would serve either scenario, hot or c-c-c-cold.
oh yeah, thanks for the civility.:tiphat:

Frosty Nuggets

ICMag Donor
The Earth is warming but man has nothing to do with it, it is the height of human arrogance to think that man can change the weather.

dragongrower

The Earth is warming but man has nothing to do with it, it is the height of human arrogance to think that man can change the weather.

Hight of human arrogance to believe that billions of humans burning of fossil fuels will not chance a closed system..

Oh whait..! Its not believing, its a fact!!

But I guess its better to believe we have nothing to do with it, then we dont need to change anything...

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Hight of human arrogance to believe that billions of humans burning of fossil fuels will not chance a closed system..

Oh whait..! Its not believing, its a fact!!

But I guess its better to believe we have nothing to do with it, then we dont need to change anything...

Earth system is not a "closed system", whatever gave you that idea?
the sun is an external force acting on the earth, and earth exchanges energy with open space via radiative and convective forces...

"The heating of the Earth's surface and atmosphere by the sun drives convection within the atmosphere and ocean. This convection produces winds and ocean currents."

"Of the 340 watts per square meter of solar energy that falls on the Earth, 29% is reflected back into space, primarily by clouds, but also by other bright surfaces and the atmosphere itself. About 23% of incoming energy is absorbed in the atmosphere by atmospheric gases, dust, and other particles."

"The relative distances and positions of the sun, moon and Earth all affect the size and magnitude of the Earth's two tidal bulges. At a smaller scale, the magnitude of tides can be strongly influenced by the shape of the shoreline. ... Local wind and weather patterns also can affect tides."

"Earth's Energy balance describes how the incoming energy from the sun is used and returned to space. If incoming and outgoing energy are in balance, the earth's temperature remains constant. Why do I care? The energy balance drives the weather and life on earth."

"In the natural sciences an open system is one whose border is permeable to both energy and mass.[2] In thermodynamics a closed system, by contrast, is permeable to energy but not to matter"

change my mind...
:gift:
Merry Christmas ICMAG!

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
the post i made above demonstrates scientific discovery from a variety of sources, not one of whom would identify with being a stoner. jmo.
i doubt that 'most' of the worlds scientists would disagree with that post either, again jmo.
and my opinion happens to be informed not by your dissent, but by application of intuition, studious observation, and peer reviewed scientific papers if you hadn't noticed.

so bring your game face and change my mind, or you're just breaking wind.

H

hard rain

Earth system is not a "closed system", whatever gave you that idea?
the sun is an external force acting on the earth, and earth exchanges energy with open space via radiative and convective forces...

"The heating of the Earth's surface and atmosphere by the sun drives convection within the atmosphere and ocean. This convection produces winds and ocean currents."

"Of the 340 watts per square meter of solar energy that falls on the Earth, 29% is reflected back into space, primarily by clouds, but also by other bright surfaces and the atmosphere itself. About 23% of incoming energy is absorbed in the atmosphere by atmospheric gases, dust, and other particles."

"The relative distances and positions of the sun, moon and Earth all affect the size and magnitude of the Earth's two tidal bulges. At a smaller scale, the magnitude of tides can be strongly influenced by the shape of the shoreline. ... Local wind and weather patterns also can affect tides."

"Earth's Energy balance describes how the incoming energy from the sun is used and returned to space. If incoming and outgoing energy are in balance, the earth's temperature remains constant. Why do I care? The energy balance drives the weather and life on earth."

"In the natural sciences an open system is one whose border is permeable to both energy and mass.[2] In thermodynamics a closed system, by contrast, is permeable to energy but not to matter"

change my mind...
:gift:
Merry Christmas ICMAG!
You knew what he meant by closed system. 7.5 billion people burning fossil fuel and a finite atmosphere.

So, do you really think having 7.5 billion people burning fossil fuel, cutting down forest, manufacturing, consuming etc is not going to effect the climate?

NO one is arguing that the systems you speak of don't have an effect on climate, and that there are natural changes that have occurred and continue to do so. But on the top of that are 7.5 billion people either living a consumer lifestyle, or aspiring to do so. Our planet is not coping and the climate is being changed by humans.

Dragongrower sums it up perfectly; "I like how a few stoners online know more than most of the worlds scientists."

trichrider

Kiss My Ring
Veteran
Ummmm.........

Biosphere.
Not doing the massive Capt Pastey job, but it's a closed system only capable of restoring a finite amount of trashing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biosphere

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_system

In thermodynamics, a closed system can exchange energy (as heat or work) but not matter, with its surroundings. An isolated system cannot exchange any heat, work, or matter with the surroundings, while an open system can exchange energy and matter.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9] (This scheme of definition of terms is not uniformly used, though it is convenient for some purposes. In particular, some writers use 'closed system' where 'isolated system' is used here.[10][11])

...it's obvious that energy and matter affect our earth system.
meteoric impacts belie your premise, and gasses escape into space as well as enter. both can be defined as an exchange.
:tiphat:

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
You have no idea what you are typing.

The poles are melting. Solar energy that used to be reflected back into space is now absorbed. Ocean temperatures are rising. Ocean levels are rising. Coral is dying. Oxygen producing Sea grass is dying. Fires are destroying huge tracts of land like never before (Australia).

And you think you have the answer with a totally disconnected wiki?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_system

In thermodynamics, a closed system can exchange energy (as heat or work) but not matter, with its surroundings. An isolated system cannot exchange any heat, work, or matter with the surroundings, while an open system can exchange energy and matter.[3][4][5][6][7][8][9] (This scheme of definition of terms is not uniformly used, though it is convenient for some purposes. In particular, some writers use 'closed system' where 'isolated system' is used here.[10][11])

...it's obvious that energy and matter affect our earth system.
meteoric impacts belie your premise, and gasses escape into space as well as enter. both can be defined as an exchange.
:tiphat:

E

ESTERCHASER

oh you mean the ball of fusion?

oh you mean the ball of fusion?

Has anyone seen the size of that big yellow thing in the sky

yeah i enjoy fusion!
hey tech dudes got boris baddenov as an avatar, thats the last guy you wanna debate with! Just ask bullwinkle!

igrowone

Veteran
something for the morning wakeup

In the South Pacific Ocean east of New Zealand, satellite imagery shows a massive area of ocean water at well-above-average temperatures.
The water in the area is about 5 degrees Celsius (about 9 degrees Fahrenheit) “warmer than average for the latitude and time of year,” said James Renwick, a professor and head of the School of Geography, Environment and Earth Sciences at Victoria University in Wellington, New Zealand.
The hot blob on the Pacific surface is detectable from space and is the largest area of above-average water temperature on Earth right now.
The patch of sea is about a million square kilometers (400,000 square miles), covering an area of ocean larger than the size of Texas.
“The ocean surface doesn’t vary that wildly,” Renwick said. “One degree (Celsius) is big. So, five degrees is huge.”
It’s especially rare to see over such a large area, but scientists say global climate change is making these phenomena more common.
Warm spot caused by recent weather

“The ocean surface does what the air above tells it,” Renwick said.
“That area has received a lot of sunshine, and there’s been a lack of westerly wind to blow away the warm area hovering above the sea surface,” he said.
The water appears as a large red splotch on a satellite map created by the Climate Reanalyzer operated by the Climate Change Institute at the University of Maine. That map charts the world’s ocean surface temperature.
“If it’s warm somewhere, it may be cold somewhere else,” Renwick said. Just east of the abnormally warm area, the water is about 3 degrees Celsius (5.4 degrees Fahrenheit) cooler than then average.

“There’s quite a cold patch,” he said.
It’s not clear how deep the warm area is, but Renwick estimated it didn’t go down further than two dozen meters, as it would take an enormous amount of energy to heat up such a large volume of water over a few weeks.
These warm blobs happen at various points around the world’s oceans. A few months ago, oceanographers observed a similar warm patch of ocean off Alaska, which Renwick attributed to the loss of Arctic sea ice.

kickarse

You have no idea what you are typing.

The poles are melting. Solar energy that used to be reflected back into space is now absorbed. Ocean temperatures are rising. Ocean levels are rising. Coral is dying. Oxygen producing Sea grass is dying. Fires are destroying huge tracts of land like never before (Australia).

And you think you have the answer with a totally disconnected wiki?

No there not, fires and floods are a common here
the bush needs fire to regenerate

The poles aren't melting, its -50 c in the antarctic
sea levels aren't rising any faster than the last 5000 years
nothing wrong with the great barrier reef, its doing fine

Its all one big CON job

Latest posts

Latest posts