What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

EC/PPM guidelines for coco?

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Kind of what I have been saying

Kind of what I have been saying

I agree that high ec alone will cause nothing but trouble. I simply believe that when all conditions are maximized raising the feeding helps increase bud size and density. They don't put the rise on the feeding tables just to make you buy more product. I do run co2 and it certianly helps. I run very little runoff with 4-5 small strong feedings a day. I think a very important step is never letting the coco dry out after the second or third week of flower. If it dries you will have nutrients left suspended in the media and the buildup will cause problems. The use of fasilitor as a foliar in the early part of flower also certianly increases bud sites all the way down each branch, it's expensive but you use very very little. The most important might be putting a branch in each square of the trellis. It's 100 squares in a 5x5 and I cut all but 100 branches including the main tops. The strain plays a role but there is a lot of potential in the high yielders. I think the max in my setup is probably closer to 2 gpw but that probably seems like bs to you at this point. Don't shut any doors, there are a lot of variables at play and ec is a small but important one. My albums have pics.

maimunji

Ok last night I decide to give some run off on my pots.
This is my first time running blumats. I keep my rez 550 ppm (1.1) e.c. ph is between 5.7-6.0. So I watering by hand and test run off. All pots have run off 750 ppm which is 200 ppm obove my rez. And one plant have run off 850 ppm. This plant have claws and burn on some leaves. I flush with weak nutes until run off comes 500 ppm. Do I overfeed? Run off ph is around 5.0. I keep it simple only basic and little silicone.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
The coco is drying out

The coco is drying out

The nutes are traveling in the water and if the water dries out the nutes are left in the media. You have to check blumats and readjust and even slide the tube through the blumat to break up any constriction every once in a while. Try two per container. They will be good just keep paying attention. I had the best luck soaking the container and then setting the blumat to drip once every few seconds.

Last edited:

maimunji

Ltsmychoice do you mean my coco is too dry? Its take around 1 littre to see run off at the bottom im in 7 L pots.

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Yeah

Yeah

Try adjusting the flow of the blumats to drip right after you soak the container. The blumats might be allowing the coco to dry out a little too much before they open up. Pull the tubing back and forth through the blumat to break up any build up in the tubing. I had good luck using treys under individual containers so I could see what each container was doing. A little increase in runoff ec over your input ec is not too big a deal. Just keep paying attention and make adjustments.

raven44

A buddy of mine runs coco at around 600-700ppm

I feel that may be low but I'm unfamiliar w coco.

His main runner also like lower ppm levels.

Ppm ties directly into cation exchange capacity.

maimunji

?

?

Do I really need 2 blumats with 7 L pots? And after soak if blumats continue to drop and overflow do I need to adjust them? I don't need run off with blumats right?

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
____

____

I ran one per pot for a year and went to 2 just for a backup if one gets clogged. If you stay on top of it one is fine. If they are over flowing tighten them a touch. Tomorrow after they dry a little set them so they drip every few seconds. The adjustments are tiny.

gr866

Veteran
Do I really need 2 blumats with 7 L pots? And after soak if blumats continue to drop and overflow do I need to adjust them? I don't need run off with blumats right?

One should be fine for a 7 L/2 gallon pot. That's what I was told by the folks at Blumats (Sustainable Village), told them I was running two gallon smart pots and that was there recommendation.
You do have to watch for drying though, a little run off in your trays is a good thing. I tried running them without any runoff and had drying problems which resulted in the Clawing effect and a very bad run.
This run will be using larger runoff trays so I can increase the amt of runoff or do some additional hand watering.
GR

coxnox

Veteran
I agree that high ec alone will cause nothing but trouble. I simply believe that when all conditions are maximized raising the feeding helps increase bud size and density. They don't put the rise on the feeding tables just to make you buy more product. I do run co2 and it certianly helps. I run very little runoff with 4-5 small strong feedings a day. I think a very important step is never letting the coco dry out after the second or third week of flower. If it dries you will have nutrients left suspended in the media and the buildup will cause problems. The use of fasilitor as a foliar in the early part of flower also certianly increases bud sites all the way down each branch, it's expensive but you use very very little. The most important might be putting a branch in each square of the trellis. It's 100 squares in a 5x5 and I cut all but 100 branches including the main tops. The strain plays a role but there is a lot of potential in the high yielders. I think the max in my setup is probably closer to 2 gpw but that probably seems like bs to you at this point. Don't shut any doors, there are a lot of variables at play and ec is a small but important one. My albums have pics.

Hi,
i think there is a comprehension problem, i'm noyt english native man and i never said you say bullshit, NEVER ;)

the thing is a guy come here and say he yield 200gr with a 600w bulb and feed at 2.0 and even higher...so for me this guy need basic info on how to feed...i don't think giving him advanced technique will help him...or am i wrong ?
i think food is one of the last thing to look at here, he use coco ab and i know this nute well enough to know that he give to much for his setting and that you can't have any cal/mag def with this nute, even with ro.

you use co2, it's make a huge differance in feeding, plants with co2 can use a lot more nutes than without...

slipdefeu

@maimunji, you said that your pH level is between 5,7 & 6, with a pH5 run off
I think you should up and stabilize the pH of the rez between 6,3&6,5 ;)

maimunji

Is run off ph is good indicator what happened in the medium? 6.5 looks high to me. I'm afraid more difficiency can appear.

coxnox

Veteran
Is run off ph is good indicator what happened in the medium? 6.5 looks high to me. I'm afraid more difficiency can appear.
yes it is, i have a substrate ph meter and when i had my phytium problem i did check to see what happened...i was feeding at 6.2 and drain was like 5.5...when i checked the ph of the substrate it was around 4.9/5...

you can mesure your substrate too, just take some coco near roots, put in ro water, filter the coco, mesure the water. check on canna website there is a complete guidlines about that ;)

maimunji

Today one of my blumat run away and I test run off ph is 4.9. EC is same like rez. What can be a reason?

Itsmychoice

ICMag Donor
Keep it simple

Keep it simple

Pay attention to what you are feeding and you will be good. I usually mix nutes to ph 5.9-6 and check my resovior ph everyday and if it rises above 6.2 I readjust. I do not worry about runoff ph.

coxnox

Veteran
if the runoff is so down there is a problem somwhere, if the ec is rising then your plants can't eat anymore because of this low ph in the substrate ;)

can you post pictures of your plants ?

Phases

I think monitoring your ph and ec/ppm levels of runoff is important it gives you a good ide of what's going on and coming out. I know it's not 100% accurate but it can show you when the salt is building up in your coco and show you really low or high ph amounts that will start messin shit up. If you are watching your runoff you should be good to at least kind of know if there are problems before your plants show signs. Just my 2 cents.

maimunji

Phases I don't have run off with blumats. Before few days one of them run away and I test run off ph is 5.0 ppm is same like rez.

Latest posts

Latest posts